"Cookies" hate. Don't get it

Ok, so I see a lot of hate for Cookies, and I can see why folks hate the company called “Cookies”, and honestly, I’m not about any of the drama, but I understand folks hate popular things for whatever reason. Lately, when browsing forums and other discussions about specific cultivars, I keep seeing references about it containing “cookies”, and how many don’t prefer. What I don’t get is ones a brand and one I’m assuming is referring to girl scout cookies, right? Is it a gripe with the crosses that make up cookies? I’m even seeing conflicting information about what the original cross is. What gives? I’m new, so I’m really not hip to all the various breeder drama out there.

Is it Durban poison x OG Kush? What about that combo does everyone hate? Is it one of the 2 or only when crossed? I even see some mentioning cherry kush.

What’s the deal. I feel as though theres a lot of people out there trying to make you feel bad about what you’re growing because theres some sort of cookie combo in there and it’s already saturating the market.

From what I understand, and even experienced is each one of those stand alone is a banger. Are they for everyone? Maybe not, but it’s weed. What’s not to like. Please enlighten me on the cookie hate. I’m almost sure it’s a company thing, but why a cultivar thing?

Thanks. I’m sorry if I’m beating a dead horse, but rather than explain all I usually see is bickering

24 Likes

You can choose whose pockets you put money into.

15 Likes

I don’t grow cookies because I don’t have cookies seeds and am unlikely to acquire them.

10 Likes

It makes no sense to waste your time and energy on investigating hate.
If you like Cookies then grow and enjoy them.

I’ve never grown them but I got a freebie feminized Girl Scout Cookies and sure I’ll grow it, just to check it out.

20 Likes

Sure, I get that, but a lot makes no sense to me. There’s a lot of different variations out there and I definitely have a few with some in the lineage, but some have a long lineage. Would it be safe to say it’s a trend sort of hate?

And why not? There’s a ton of hate with 0 explanation. I’m trying to figure out if it’s the name or the strain

2 Likes

I hate Berner and the brand Cookies…… imho he’s one of those ruining the industry and doing it BIG with all of his $ as for the strain, it’s usually referring to the herm tendencies etc. and the high duration it brings (that short duration quick burst high) but personally I find that’s not always the case. Gary Payton for instance I really enjoy! GMO is in my top 10 atm , and I used to have a great forum cookies cut that would get you ruined! Not the 3-4 hour highs of the stellar stuff but high af for at least 1-2 hours, so personally I’m not a strain hater but know so many who are. I have a shit ton of stuff with cookie lineage, but I would never personally give Berner a penny or the time of day. Oh ya he’s a shit rapper too.

44 Likes

I don’t give people who have enough money more money.

23 Likes

Aside from being a shitty rapper, Berner cannibalized the cannabis scene with his business practices. Cookies strains also have the reputation of being weak genetics, not only in stability but in potency - bred for terps but not much else. although, as some have stated above, there are some strains better than others.

its not just because of being “popular” - thats failed logic. theres tons of super popular breeders/companies that get love.

36 Likes

And that about covers it imo @the_bot respect :facepunch:t2:

6 Likes

The cut that was floating around here looked and grew amazing but had the most boring flat high. Just no substance to it at all and didn’t last long on top of that.

14 Likes

Thank the both of you for getting closer to what I’m looking for. @TopShelfTrees1 @the_bot. Im not a fan of the guy either, and I’m not a fan of how he screws people over. The fact that the brand Cookies is associated with the actual cultivars that make it up made everything a little confusing for me. There’s a few different variations out there, so it makes it tough to understand for me. I’ve had some cookies give me a headache l, whole some others kicked my ass in a good way like some good animal

7 Likes

Exactly, actually yes, animal is another great example and thin mint, the original is pretty great too tbh.

3 Likes

My gripe is that Cookies (GSC the strain) infested the commercial dispensary scene.
It’s popularity and recognizability led to it being present in nearly every available dispensary strain.
Think about someone playing a song in your ear that’s just okay. Now imagine that’s the only song you’re allowed to listen to for years.
Even if it was good to begin with, you’re gonna hate it. I don’t smoke cookies strains because I worked on a dispo for 5 years, and they don’t even get me high for an hour because the only cannabinoid they produce is THC… as they were bred to do.

23 Likes

My opinion on cookies is that Cookies (the brand) sucks and is bad for the scene because of the focus that they generate on hype, bag appeal, and what sells, also Berner is a dick.

I wish Cookies (the strains) weren’t in everything, but I don’t mind that there are cookies strains. There are good cookies and bad cookies. I disagree that anything with cookies in it has a trash high and think that for a lot of people, the cookies hate is a way of showing that they’re enlightened and superior. I like GMO crosses, I’ve had sherb crosses I liked (Jealousy among them), I’ve liked some cake crosses, I’ve liked Kush Mints. I’m not gonna lie, though, I could stand to have breeders making fewer gelato crosses, there are some good ones but there are plenty of unremarkable ones floating around.

16 Likes

To put it simply, look at for example Exotic Genetix’s Triple OG releases compared to what they release today.

People are sick of smoking a lot of subpar giggly weed that only gets them stoned for a hour. A lot of these Gelato types, dessert weed, they won’t get you zonked for that long. There’s also a lot of shit phenos being grown out because they look and grow spectacular. Cookies brings a lot of numbers and bag appeal to the table but a lot of veteran smokers dont want numbers or bag appeal, they want Triangle Kush or Triangle Iraqi. They want that stuff that would make a horse go to sleep with a puff.

I can attest to that personally. I love some cuts like GMO and have it, but I once got an eighth of dosidos x lava cake that smoked like… the biggest fat fucking nothing.

20 Likes

Sometimes an analogy is useful.

Are you familiar with “disco sucks” t-shirts? Investigate disco music & try see the parallel :cricket: young grasshoppa’.

Sometimes some shit comes along & it becomes all the rage & at that point in time only the younger/less familiar are unaware that there was something else that came before it.

Look at youtube comments showing endless younger people in agreement that music from decades past is much better than stuff from today.

Personally, I think a good cookies cut or hybrid tastes great but is less fulfilling with a mild high usually. It’s relatively unstable genetics, unvigorous, small bud, low-yielding IMO.

It’s the “drifting” :racing_car: of weed. A noticeable component but it is not the whole enchilada. :burrito:

And the knuckledragger known as Berner took it & the hype to the bank while medical growers struggle to exist.

Listen to Bodhi on The Potcast or an old Adam Dunn Show. Then contrast & compare & see why a bunch of salty old OG’s feel at least annoyed & amused. :sweat_smile:

I’m not trying to be a condescending bastard with the rhetoric & hear-hear-now :upside_down_face: just giving you heady homework. :headphones:

:call_me_hand:

:evergreen_tree: :cookie: :man_shrugging:

23 Likes

Honestly, I’ve gotten the best feedback on this so far here. I really appreciate it. Some of these crosses just don’t work, while some others do. I’d honestly like some good giggly weed. Been forever. Not about the come n go sort of high, but I miss that first blaze.

7 Likes

I gotta ya bud. I’m in my 50s so I can relate to the music reference. Being a new grower is gonna raise some questions tho. The stuff I’ve been growing hasn’t been much of the new, so I’m tryina put it together before I do.

3 Likes

I have nothing against giggly weed I just recognize that a lot of people are grumpy about the prevalence of what they call “soccer mom weed” on the market

Edit to add: they also don’t like having to smoke every 45 mins

9 Likes