Cool Runnings

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEE!

2 Likes

Thanks guys!!
It will be interesting to see how the smoke changes with the addition of a few more weeks.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Happy Canada Day (eh)!

(Not my flowers… :laughing:)

Beer, Lake, & a jar of Sour Strawberry
:sunglasses: :call_me_hand:

Cheers
G

11 Likes

A quick update.
I took down clone #2, that’s definitely great ‘man cave’ potpourri… :laughing: :+1:
Not a great yield, strong great smell, vaguely reminiscent to something like menthol.
Clone #1 isn’t quite ready (3~4 weeks spread between the the earliest to the latest).

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Just tripped across this:

Interesting addendum to Clarke’s Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany… as this latest research pins down the earliest domestication to North Western China as suggested by Clarke.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

And finally, the long delayed germination test and results…

Germination Test, Cool Runnings seeds

The germination protocol is:

• 2 hour soak in 75ppm H2O2 solution

{NOTE: further research indicates that it should be a 1% solution of H2O2}

• 96 hour in fresh EWC.(earth worm castings)

I cleaned and prepped a standard Chinese takeout container, added 1/4” (6mm) of fresh EWC

as described by @JohnnyPotseed in his essay on the subject.

I’m testing 20 seeds each from the three females. These are organized in double columns of 10 in the container.

Each seed is pressed in slightly into the EWC (pressed about halfway in)

24 hours = no activity

36 hours = some indications of germination activity

72 hours:

17 A5 have popped

11 B5 have popped

15 C5 have popped

96 hours:

18 A5 = 90%

12 B5 = 60%

17 C5 = 85%

The results are frankly surprising, I was expecting much lower germination rates. Out of the three females I thought the second one, “B” would have been higher than “C” (based on plant phenotype characteristics)

An explanation of my nomenclature:

I had 3 females and 5 males which were selectively crossed (this qualifies as an open pollination). Females were assigned letters and males numbers. ‘A5’ is the cross of the first female and the fifth male.

There’s probably some variance in the germination numbers based on the males used but for first approximations, I’ll assume the germination rates are a reflection of the female phenotype.

This was an interesting and productive run.
I’ve made a number of notes to improve for the next project and I have a complete library of each of the 15 crosses that I plan on sending to Swe-can.

The next project will be a Co-op run titled OG’Er Encore …
the genealogy is Master Kush x Bubba Kush :grin: :+1:

7 Likes

Which mom is which ?!

Still not to shabby results @Gpaw

60 might be low but maybe will crack open if you help them out a bit with some sandpaper or crack it open…

But still good results all together!!

2 Likes

LOL, I missed adding that info… rather important if you want to flip back to check a picture… :laughing:

A = 51 (later identified as 1)… 51 is actually the page number for her data
B = 52 (later identified as 2)
C = 56 (later identified as 3) {53, 54, 55 were males}

B/52 was the one with the massive warty trunk.
C/56 was the maroon hash plant pheno.
I don’t know what the ancestor was but that pheno is quite resinous with large sugar leaves. The sort of plant structure that would be good for rubbing for live resin. It was the most resinous and slightly stronger than her sisters.

Smoke tests of the clones vs the originals were similar.
The sensimilla clones vaped a little stronger and a little ‘louder’ than the seed plants but close enough you could identify the plant.

Any of these plants would be a reasonable choice for a stealth grow as they don’t stink up their surroundings like a skunk would.

It was interesting running @JohnnyPotseed’s germination protocol. I used fresh EWC and soaked the seeds with a Hydrogen Peroxide solution so they were clean.
I noticed that I was getting white filament mold structures forming on the EWC at the 4 day mark.
I let it run the extra day to see what would happen with the unpopped seeds (I got a couple extra but the healthy ones had popped day 2 and 3).

I think the right answer is to transplant all the popped seeds at the end of day 3. Easy to keep the late ones if you want or pitch because they are weak.
Sort of an application of Cliff’s ‘Buffalo Theory’

What’s this Buffalo Theory you ask??

Well ya see, Norm, it’s like this…
A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.
This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.
That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

-Cliff Clavin
cliff

‘Cheers’
G

6 Likes

That’s interesting @Gpaw, I’ve never had ‘white filament mold’ form… I can’t help but wonder, there almost has to be something you did that’s not the same as I do to cause that. Although, by the time 4 days have gone by, usually, the EWC hass finished it’s job and blended into the compost bin. I just don’t know what to tell you ‘tip wise’ as I’ve never encountered it.

I like The Buffalo Theory a lot lol

I guess I could let the EWC sit there for a couple extra days, and see if it happens to me…

2 Likes

Yes, small fuzzy patches, it’s fungi from the EWC. It’s really fresh :grin:

My results agree completely, 4 days they are done.
I think you take what you have by 72 Hrs. Those are vigorous.

I like your germination process, simple and elegant. :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

ever thought about tossing that mix into the instant pot?

This just in:

Jamaica’s bobsleigh team have qualified for the Beijing Winter Olympics next month - making it the first time in 24 years the country’s four-man team will participate.

The much-anticipated games will mark the first time that Jamaica has qualified for three different bobsleigh events, securing their place in the four-man, two-man sled and women’s monobob categories.

Their four-man team took the final spot in the 28-sled field in qualification, which is the first time since 1998 that the event will have Jamaican representation in the category.

HOW COOL IS THAT?

:+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

11 Likes

Way cool may WOW :open_mouth:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Oh damn @Gpaw those girls looks so awesome. I love those red and gold looking hues. It makes these look so tasty. Nice fat colas too !
I picture like a strawberry cream smell haha

1 Like

My sense of smell is pretty average but I was getting strong citrus & pine notes in it and something else, I wouldn’t call it cream but the closest I could identify would be a Jet Floor wax sort of smell. Maybe a ‘clean wax smell’ would be a better description since nobody has seen a can of Jet floor wax in 40 years… :laughing: :vulcan_salute:

I’m going to revisit these down the road sometime…

Cheers
G

1 Like

:laughing: nice ! I think you definetly should.

2 Likes

I was wondering why add the flour…
Now I know…
Thanks @Gpaw

1 Like

OK, I should have ‘drilled down’ a little on that, the flour aspect came out of this study.

Development_and_Optimization_of_a_Germination_Assa.pdf (3.8 MB)

They didn’t seem to explain why it worked just that it did and they followed this process for their cryogenic storage (deep freeze) testing.

Other folks have previously used this with the explanation that you can increase the volume of the pollen and it helped dry the pollen so it would last longer.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

My first thought was why would you make edibles with pollen LMAO…
Then I read cool runnings…
Thanks for the time you put into this and especially sharing this knowledge with us…

1 Like