Cool Runnings

Where was this thread when I was trying to pop my old beans :laughing:. In my case, any additive to water except H2O2 turned to be detrimental due to promoting molding. As old beans need more significantly more time to germinate, sterile approach is the way to go imho.

7 Likes

I completely agree.
I’m thinking distilled water plus H2O2 for the soak, same for the pucks and then introducing some myco inoculation when planting. There is some odd and interesting abnormalities on the first few leaves to pop out and I was surprised how fast they burned through their cotyledons.
There were several beans that I autopsied which looked great but just no spark of life. I’d bet tissue culture would work on some of those but that is somewhat beyond the scope of most folks holding old beans.

How old were your beans and what did you get for a germination rate?

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Sadly I had 0 success rate with my old seeds. I was definitely expecting better, the beans weren’t that old, 6-7 years. And I thought I stored them half-decent, but obviously not… I got many beans to crack their shells and push out a few mm of tap root, but none made it above surface. Just completely depleted.

There’s much more detail in my thread if you are interested in various methods I tried, everything from sterile to kelp, from tissues to straight to pucks, even tried GA3: Orloff’s bean graveyard

6 Likes

That thread was a little scary from the start. I’d start second guessing and questioning everything. I’m glad to see you got some positive results.
Ultimately tissue culture is probably the right answer for really stubborn seeds. I’ll have to dig into that subject and do some research.

Great score on the air intakes! I had no idea those were available, and I have a Secret Jardin Tent! :rofl:

Cheers
G

9 Likes

Sharp eyes!! LOL.
I was playing with the label S/W to see how user friendly it was.

Cgeers
G

5 Likes

Yeah, it was getting demoralizing for sure… :unamused:. I’m so glad to have something growing again! Still have to figure out what to do with the remainder of my old collection. So threads like this are of great interest to me.

7 Likes

Is that your trim crew hanging out in the corner?

4 Likes

The Guardians of the Garden LOL.

…Batman is hanging out above the lights of course :laughing:
Yeah, not so useful on trim detail but great for moral support!

Cheers
G

6 Likes

We could always ask Chulin Sun. She uses Chi to germinate seeds. I wounder if her success rate diminishes the older the seeds get.
Gpaw thanks so much for the @Sebring post. My mind was freaking blown. I guess someone did make a good point that the more legal this plant gets more scientists are going to be poking around and start correcting our vocabulary. Just when you think you’re starting to get the hang of something. Lol. It is for the best tho.

2 Likes
Dec 29

Time to get you caught up a little.

There has been some general weirdness on this run right out of the gate. You expect ‘some stuff’ on 13 year old seeds.
The first surprise was they all froze for a week… I mean normal - out of the ground, cotyledons out and first leaves showing… and freeze frame for… a week… I was getting a little freaked… After a week I hit them with a dose of Dynomyco, They snapped out of it and took off running. Coincidence? Who knows…

It’s been a gas watching these Jamaicans grow.

Stuff like the stems noticeably larger (and change color) in nodes 2 & 3 – looked like they had been skipping ‘leg day’ in the gym but they really get their ‘feces collated’ later. They are all beasts in the vitality department. It would be cool to see how they would do outdoors and how far north they could adapt etc.

I identified the runt (58) right out of the gate but it took a few days to spot the grower (53). The rest of the pack … enough yakking

The runt is cute!

A few days later

53 is showing weird stem first.

now 55

The runt is showing some ‘localized weirdness’

Dec 17

21 Likes

They’re growing up fast @Gpaw looking beautiful!! That runt thou! Hopefully is a she and maybe someday becomes a beauty

6 Likes

The ugly duckling…

2 Likes

I’m going to do a photo progression on the runt - I think of it as the little shop of horrors LOL. Definitely my favorite plant of this grow!

Cheers
G

6 Likes

I’m gonna root for it!!

5 Likes

The #53 looks like it wants to raise some roofs :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh yeah!
I have that one pegged as a male (just based on structure) but still too early to call.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Didn’t want to say anything and jinx it, but… yeah probably.

2 Likes

Here’s the progression of The Runt.

Dec 10

Dec 10

Dec 14

Dec 18

Dec 19
Sure looks like it is turning into The Little Shop of Horrors

Dec 19

Dec 19
Check out that stem development - somebody has been skipping leg day at the gym!

Dec 19

Dec 23

We are getting some reasonable leaf development now

Dec 23

Dec 27

The ugly duckling is transforming :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:… but still the runt of the litter :laughing:

24 Likes

Go baby go!! Looking good!

3 Likes

A shout out to @Daytripr69!
I’ve some of your Sour Strawberry F3’s going as testers.

A little ‘rough for wear’ as they hung around in the pucks a couple days longer than they would have liked. I’m quite interested in seeing how these do as I have… plans… :smirk:

Cheers
G

17 Likes