CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

Hah nice. I have 2 giant jars of rosin stored away from my PBBx? (mystery) plant I grew. Had a sausage smell to it and the rosin was epic. Pressed the whole 1/2 lb plant into rosin lol.

3 Likes

ahhhhh, back in the days of the annabelle lee cruises… Yes, he was quite the treat lol
He did enjoy entertaining the crew so :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ooohhh interesting point there. I tried going back through all of greens posts and it seemed like he was leaning towards too small of a container because i think he filled a 4x4 with an 18gal. It made me chuckle thiugh because the other folks liked the planter on wheels and i was looking at the big city picker thinking maybe the planter was too tall for effective wicking. Here is my Chocolate Diesel right about halfway through. Looks ok up top but did crisp a few of the suckers below

11 Likes

I don’t think it would be too tall for effective wicking, as long as the wicks are packed tight. My diy 27gal’ers are about that same height and there are no big issues with wicking, other than what was stated earlier. Even my EBs would dry out in the top couple inches. That’s why I started topwatering a couple times a week.

They look hungry. What day are you on? Are you running diy sips? What size? You following the 3ish topdress schedule?

5 Likes

40 gallon diy wity drain pipe and vermiculite floor. 3 cf of bas 3.0, 7.5 cups of ewc, 7.5 cups of comoost, 15 cups of compost and 3 cups of craft blend. Top dress is craft blend, ewc, compost, and kashi blend. I top dress at initail setup, transplant, week 4 veg, and week 8 veg. I agree on the hunger, i think i need to thicken up my topdressings. I added a topdress earlier in the week on this one just to try and help ride it out. That was 5.5 weeks for that pic

8 Likes

So, I’m curious about this, with octopots (which are just another type of SIP) they’re pretty adamant about not watering over the top of the soil; their reason being that it “inhibits the development of the second hydroponic root system in the Hydro Reservoir. Watering over the top of the soil signals plant roots to stay close to the top where they expect more water to be delivered regularly. Watering over the top may prevent roots from developing inside the Hydro Reservoir.”

In your experience, have you noticed any differing results when top watering vs not?

4 Likes

Hey bud, in my experience the only difference in the root masses of topwatered vs reservoir only grows, was the topwatered plants had healthy feeder roots up top. I really only water in like a 1/2 to 1 gal twice a week. This is just to keep the top moist and add in some goodies. My current 27 gal are drinking ±5-6 gallons every other day and close to that every day during stretch. The majority of the water is coming from the reservoir.

Edit: @Rickle_Piiiiick I do wait until the roots hit the reservoir and shows signs of growth before starting a topwater routine.

6 Likes

Maybe add a topdress at flip and one after stretch depending on plant health? Looking beautiful though bud! Glad you made it over here with us!

4 Likes

Thanks again for the invite! I am hoping to go heavier on the topdresses but yeah plan b will be to do another layer after stretch. I will probably go ahead and plan on that for my DDS because she got MASSIVE on me

4 Likes

Soulmate two weeks complete. I moved the light up yesterday and the back one still grew into it.

14 Likes

Ok I figured out my move here after much deliberation and going back and forth. I am going to upgrade to a spider farmer tent that’s a “2x4” but the dimensions are 55x28x80 and I can easily cram 2 EB’s in it length wise . It will protrude an inch front to back but that’s OK. I got the tent on sale so it’s costly , but will allow me to grow how I want to grow with plenty of space in there to trelis the plants out.

7 Likes

Day 36F in the City Pickers:

Dong city.

:evergreen_tree:

I feel like each plant is the just the right size for its footprint. No extra topdressing after flip, no top watering and the soil stays quite moist without having to do that…

Need to get humidity under control (getting up to 70% at night with constant exhaust via the AC Infinity T6) and figure out a circulation fan above the net. I have a 12" fan blowing straight up into the middle of the canopy as my only air movement so far. I bought one of these and hope it works well mounted in the front left above the chem d:

Anybody else have recommendations for tent pole oscillating fans that will fit in there?

:rainbow_flag: :wind_face:

21 Likes

@nube Dong City USA!

What do you include in your topdresses?

I just got my first of two of those ac infinity oscillators. They are pretty great! Powerful enough to reach the opposite end of the 5x5. Smooth and quiet!
:call_me_hand::call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

11 Likes

I wish those fans were a bit cheaper, I dig the 10 speeds because sometimes I need something more gentle or more powerful than the speeds these cheap clip fans put out.

7 Likes

Yes but $50 is a good price for peace of mind.

Cheap ones under $35 crapped out on me and then i risked getting PM in the room w no circulation for 12 hrs.

Pay for the best oscillating fan(s) you can afford, but buy inexpensive seeds (Bodhi especially).

5 Likes

Topdress at flip (I think?) was BAS Craft Blend, home ground barley + quick oats combo (fungal explosion), CoWoCo EWC, ground eggshells, and BuildAFlower as compost on top. Watered it lightly with aloe, saponin, gnatrol, and a little bit of rootwise microbe complete + enzymes - just enough to wet it, maybe a pint per SIP.

That’s super cool that you just bought one of those Cloudray S6 too! When was it delivered? Mine hasn’t gotten a ship date, but the site says they’re shipping tmw. With a coupon, I was fine with $55 delivered after tax/shipping.

How’s yours performing? Do you think one will be enough air movement to prevent budrot in my situation? I’m thinking above the Chem D plant will draw a lot of air through that one (since it’s the shortest), and the oscillation will provide good air movement to this Dong City, USA. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Like @BudWhisperer said, it’s worth it if they outperform other options that are slightly cheaper but require DIY attachment and end up dying after a year or two. I trust AC Infinity’s products, but I gotta be honest, I would have rather had the 9" one they say is currently in dev.

22 Likes

Sadly my 6" fans usually don’t last a year lol. 95% of mine are Genesis clip fans. Funny because I have a number of dead ones still mounted and waiting for replacements…

7 Likes

From my experience, the lowest 4 settings on that 6" oscillating fan are all but worthless in a large tent. It will barely tickle leaves more than about 15" away on setting 4.

9 Likes

I ordered the first one toward the end of May and it got here end of June. The second is supposed to ship out tomorrow, but I haven’t received any email communication.

I think on the highest setting you would be fine, but I would keep that fan on the floor also. Like you said the 9” would be preferable, but I got two 6’s for the 5x5. Like everything that I’ve tried from ac infinity, they are good quality and the price isn’t too crazy high.

Your gardens looking beautiful bud!

10 Likes

@nube i have had the ac infinity fan for two grows now. They’re good but they don’t oscillate as well as they used to. It probably needs a good cleaning and reassemble which could help.

I think buying one of the bigger oscillation fans and hanging it upside down like some others do may be the longest lasting option. The clip on fans that oscillate I’ve found are only good for a few cycles in my experience.

7 Likes