DaFozz's First Autos... Ever

They look about right for 14 days, and ya you’ll see that once they take they go nutso lol

7 Likes

Day 21 from germination and things seem to be going ok… at least as far as I can tell. Pretty much been minimal supervision so far, with the most noticeable variable being the rates at which each plant/strain needs to be watered. They are beginning to consume feed/water at different rates, so it’s just a matter of taking @Mr.Sparkle advice and keep an eye on watering to avoid stressing the plants. One advantage to using smaller containers is being able to “weigh test” the containers to test for moisture content…

Anyways, here they are…

Aubergine Toots Magoots

Da Green

Dark Spark

Easy D

The Fuzz 1

And a group shot…

By the end of the week, I should have 2-3 plants transferred to the other side of the cabinet, once the Skywalker OG gets the choppity-chop :scissors::scissors:

It will open up some room in the shorter cabinet, and maybe make use of the added height in the other side… I’ll find out soon enough…

Thanks for stopping in… Don’t forget Mom on Mother’s Day :gift:

Peace
DaFozz

15 Likes

Looking good! Are those first couple in solo cups? I plan on doing mine in 3 gals and letting em go crazy.

4 Likes

They are in 32 oz containers, so 2 solo cups of Pro Mix in each… The others are 48 oz

Peace
DaFozz

4 Likes

Good size and branching on em for such small containers! Almost seems like this Mr Sparkle character knows what he’s doing :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Hahah yeah just a little

5 Likes

lol if only i could run more plants then i could be more selective with what i play with, and i would say i don’t know what im doing lol.

Your fuzz is doing fuzz like things didn’t look like it at first but its definitely the most sensitive one out of your group.

Whats your feed and what and whats the watering schedule been like just out of curiosity.

4 Likes

Yeah, The Fuzz 1 & 2 are certainly the odd balls of the bunch… it’s pretty interesting to watch these grow though just because they are a bit different…

I was giving them 1/3 tsp Mega Crop/2.0 l of water, 1/3 tsp Epsom. The 48 oz pots, 300-400 ml, 32 oz pots 200-350 ml, depending on weight of pot, and frequency has been between 24-30 hours. They vary a little, but that’s generally what it’s been so far. I’ve been playing guesswork with the feed level so far.

Peace
DaFozz

3 Likes

So question then why the epsom salt ?

Had to pull up Greanleafs calculator to figure it out just cause i use ppm, but Ive found that typically one doesn’t need to add magnesium or calcium if feeding at decent levels with megacrop, other nutrients though do run light or have an absence of that just to get around hard water issue some might have that way you can add cal/mag depending on your water source.

But myself im typically feeding in the 1000ppm range which is roughly about double what your running calculating it out. But if my plants ever go a bit too dry i always have to water with straight water first then give them a feed later to avoid burning them.

Just saying that as i was noticing the top new growth leaves are clawed over a bit and looking a little dull. Apart from that they are healthy and good, If you wanted to play around try with the fuzz’s first cause they are more temperamental and will show it but drop the epsom salt, and try bumping up the feed to 1/2tsp per 2 liters and get some run off with each watering,and then if they are looking a little hungry which they probably will bump it up to 2/3rd of a tsp per 2 liters and see how things are.

6 Likes

I have added Epsom Salt because I noticed with the Skywalker OG that when watering without it (just Mega Crop), it was showing signs of mag deficiency, or at least what I thought to be that from comparing pictures. I have GO CaMag+ and tried that at first, but they didn’t seem to like it very much, so I just added the ES instead, and they seemed better. I am using well water (not tested) and adding the Epsom Salt was meant to boost my mag a bit.

I am basing my nutrient strength on what I have read about Autos, and that in itself is confusing. I kept the nutes a bit low for the first couple of weeks until they were established, and was actually going to increase to 1/2 tsp/2.0 l this week as they are starting to put out pistils, and increase bit by bit as they progress. Not too sure, but I am wondering if the clawing is from a bit of over-watering, as they have never been bone-dry. When watering, I usually end up with about 25-50 ml of runoff. I will admit, I am a bit under-educated when it comes to nutrients and plant deficiencies (oh yeah, cannabis too lol), as everything is a learning curve for me.

Thanks for the input Mr. S. Appreciate all the help I can get with these as they are developing pretty quickly. I am pretty impressed with their structure and stature.

Peace
DaFozz

6 Likes

heavy watering can do that, usually easily noticeable if say after watering they slump down and stay that way till your media drys out abit, ideal is to have what they call “praying” leaves where the plant leaves are like open palm hands reaching for the light.

Saying that definitely pickup a PPM/EC meter, such as a HM Digital tds-ez meter which are about $20 ive been using mine for a good 5-6+ years, and also some aquarium pH drop testers as they are just easy, API’s pH test Kit is about $5-7 and can be had at walmart or any pet store and tests from 6.0-7.6 and should last you years, their wide range pond test kit is nice to have as well as it tests in the 5.0-9.0 range but its a little harder to find.

Having those makes dialing in things a lot easier, and troubleshooting any problems that come up, just get them it’s worth it.

As for runoff yeah that or more is good depending on if there is imbalances your trying to level out, thats where the meter comes in handy cause you can check your runoff and see if it higher or lower than what’s going in which tells you if the plant is consuming heavily or say if you have some evaporation going on.

For deficiencies and nutrients im not far off knowledge wise and typically have to look it up as well, but have done it enough to know what im looking or searching for.

But i’ll share this, its a pretty handy basic guide, typically you only will be coming across N,P,K, Mag and Calcium issues but i find a lot of peoples issues myself included are more from pH and or watering issue causing lockouts, or root rot or something, not actual deficiencies, as most one to three part systems if you follow their guide you typically wont have issue apart from those aforementioned pH and watering issues.

10 Likes

Cool. Thanks for the chart. It’ll help take out some of the guesswork for me. Experience will help me too… They seem to recover pretty good when I know I have given them too much water. (i.e. they were praying pretty good last night)

A PPM/EC meter is definitely on the “soon to be acquired” list. I did pick up some pool test strips so I’ll try those out for now, and see if I can find some aquarium drops next time at Wally World.

I forgot to mention from your earlier post about the “dullness” of them. I certainly noticed it, and figured an increase in dose would boost them up a bit, maybe lacking N? It certainly is a learning experience… nice to have a helping hand though.

Peace
DaFozz

7 Likes

Day 28 now for the gang, and after giving the cabinet a good cleaning they were spread out a bit better… Things have been so-so this past week… the clawing is a bit of an issue but I’ll see how it pans out…lol

Good thing Mr. S sent lots of seeds, because they are pretty cool to watch grow and are a challenge as well. I can see myself trying more of these in the near future…

Anyways, here’s the line-up…

Aubergine Toots Magoots

Dark Spark

Easy D

Group 1

The Fuzz 1

Da Green

Group 2

Side By Side

A few things to figure out but all-in-all it has been pretty interesting. Thanks for stopping by y’all…

Peace
DaFozz

13 Likes

The clawing may be a sign of over fertilization. It could be light or wind burn as well. What are the temp and RH like?

7 Likes

Wow they took off! The clawing could be overwatering as well, but they’re looking pretty damn good regardless :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’d cut the feed down a notch. Too much nitrogen me thinks. Mine have been really light feeders so far

8 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions @ReikoX, @beacher, & @Meesh

After doing some reading, I thought that over watering may have been the issue, but I have been trying to keep an eye on the amounts, weight of pot, etc before watering again. I do however notice that The Fuzz 1 & 2 (yes, it’s still kicking, although mini scale) are taking longer between watering.

Temp and RH seem to be ok, ranging from ~70F/~65% (lights off) to ~82F/~50% (lights on). I have 2 fans blowing down from the top, and had actually considered wind burn as a possible culprit, so I just shut one down completely and reduced speed on the remaining one to see if that helps.

To be honest, I think it may be from over-fertilization as well. I had been slowly increasing MC 2.0 every few waterings and probably over did it a bit. I just went with straight water last time and will decrease the amount of MC 2.0 until I feel they can take more.

Other than that, I’m sure they will let me know when I am abusing them as they are certainly not shy in that department.

Peace
DaFozz

11 Likes

yeah just play around and see what responds to what, gonna say you may have media build up if the clawing is still there like others have pointed out, try some straight waterings with decent runoff 20-30%, or an easy way to get back to a set point is to do a couple of subsequent flushes of straight water say over a 15-20min span with one or two pot volumes worth of plain water then just follow up with a feed watering at your desired level pushing out water that’s sitting there, the plants if healthy should be back to normal after a day.

Even though i was suggesting increasing the feed a few post back and dropping the epsom salt, just to get that sorted you probably do have build up in your media thats hasn’t worked out yet.

Also don’t be afraid to flop a top to even out the plants canopy then you can drop the lights or raise the pots if so desired.

9 Likes

This is what I had kind of resigned myself to doing. as it seemed like the simplest way of dealing with it for now. I’ll see how they respond.

Honestly, I don’t mind having and seeing issues first hand. It is different than just reading about them, as first hand experience is a better teacher.

I’m only a little bit stressed out…

Just Kidding…lol

Peace
DaFozz

9 Likes

Bro nice cabinet, digging the setup! Plants are looking great I wont say anything else that hasn’t already been said here about your recent issues.

Glad you’re giving autos a try it looks like you got alot of tops in there too!

This for sure, autos respond so well to this.

4 Likes