Topdecker's First Autoflower Grow

I’ve never grown autoflowers before - this is my first time doing it. I’ve heard that they can be some difficult, moody little drama queens so I figure having some much more experience folks peeking in on it could be helpful.

I started looking at my calendar and realized that I didn’t really have the time to get a regular photosensitive grow done before I would go on vacation. So, I scoped out autoflowers and it looks like I would have the time even with a few 12–13-week slackers - so autos it is!

First thing about me, I’m a budget guy. I don’t believe in paying for products marketed for marijuana growers because they seem to be expensive. I realize that there is a grower thing where the Zen and the challenge is to get as much as possible from a plant and that’s commendable. But I am more of a practical grower that might be ok with hitting only 60% or 70% of the potential yield.

Second thing about me, I am active in the gardening of other flowering plants. I have 90+ cultivars of peonies and I’m heading toward 800 peony plants. I belong to plant societies and associations and just generally geek out growing stuff. I like working outdoors in the soil, but I really enjoyed growing in a tent over the last winter.

The final thing to note about me is that I am a light-weight in terms of weed consumption. I frequently go months without a toke. That said, I am trying to hit it a little harder now. I am no longer a young pup and I plan on being a bit baked when I can. I mention this because it can color my choices in strains.

The current grow plan is to grow the following strains:

• Strawberry Cough (Zamnesia)
  • GG#4 (Zamnesia)
  • Tropicana Cookies (Fast Buds)
  • Amnesia Zkittlez (Fast Buds)
  • Jammy Dodgers F2 (strainly vendor)
  • Gabagoo F4 (OG’s own Carty)
  • Beastmode (Carty)
  • Pure Michigan Auto (Twisted Trees)

As this goes on, I’ll try to talk about each cultivar and why it is in the tent. Also, three of these will leave the tent and will finish growing outdoors under the sun and sky. Beastmode and Pure Michigan Auto are for sure going outside - they’ll be accompanied by which ever remaining cultivar stretches the most.

I debated listing the source of the seeds because I know some vendors catch some hate. I’m new to this, so I don’t have a lot of angst or rage accumulated for many of the vendors.

Looking at the list of cultivars, I know that GG#4, for instance, isn’t GG#4. It is Zamnesia’s attempt to make an autoflowering plant that has much the same effects as the original GG#4. Unlike some vendors, Zamnesia seems to be a bit more upfront about products like this being their creation, which I found to be fairly refreshing. Anyhow, the goal here was to let you know that I am experienced enough to largely understand the seed market. This took a while.

Anyhow, welcome to the grow, I hope you’ll come to visit again over the coming weeks!

17 Likes

I started the grow on the evening of March 29th by getting seeds soaked on folded in moist paper towels. By noon on the 31st of March, all of the seeds had sprouted and had been placed in the grow medium.

I am using Rapid Rooter plugs to get the seeds started. This is my first time using them and they sure seem to get the job done. I have a number of seedlings that have already stretched to 3.5" and they also have grow a root down into the way.

Pure Michigan Auto looked great when I left for work today, and when I came home, it had developed a 45 degree angle near the top of the plant and it had started to lay down. So I transplanted her into the half gallon plastic pot and then filled in the grow medium to give her some support. The 45 degree angle is going to take a little help to overcome, so I’m pushing in a bit of covered wire to help the plant stay off of the soil.

The grow medium is: 1 part perlite, 1 part organic mulch, 1 part peat moss analog. To this blend, I added a pinch of lime and handful of Azomite. Azomite is sort like a big multivitamin - it has close to 70 trace minerals an elements and I like to make it available because I think it is hard to know exactly what any given plant needs, so having a broad band offering can’t hurt.

The soil blend is calculated to help with moisture problems and to improve root growth. The plants may need to be watered more frequently because water runs through the blend fairly readily.

Now we’re up to date!

13 Likes

Pulling up a chair, and im all for doing the best one can with limited inputs and budget wise aswell, no sense paying that green tax when you don’t have to, also your consumption sounds just like me for the last while, do what works for you :wink:

8 Likes

Green tax… that’s a good term for it. Thanks for hanging out.

I was about to transplant some of the seedlings and discovered that I have no water pressure at the moment. We’ve had lower than normal water pressure for 3 or 4 months, and I imagine that they are trying to locate a leak.

My grow tent had been occupied and today was chop day. Here is what I use to cut down plants:

It is a PVC pipe cutter. A few years ago I ran across some rose gardeners that recommended using one and since I had one that was seeing no regular use, I gave it a try and have been using one on plants ever since. It cuts super clean and is pretty effortless to use.

16 Likes

This morning, Pure Michigan seedling had corrected itself and was standing straight and tall with no supports. It didn’t need much help, but I didn’t waste any time getting it moved either.

I finally got annoyed at the water situation and opened up some bottled water and got things done. I could not wash my hands, so I wore some gloves that I generally reserve for trimming.

I moved 6 plants. The rule here was that the plant had to be 3.5 inches tall or more. I have 1/2 gallon containers that I intend to use as a temporary container. I am transplanting in such a way that 2" of the stem is going under the soil and hopefully we can avoid a lot of the problems with stretching plants.

I know that autos have a reputation for being bitchy about being transplanted, but I have my own thoughts on the matter and I am happy to be proven wrong with empirical evidence. Right now it doesn’t matter one way or another because they need to move - they’ve stretch all the way out.

I know that some of you want seeds that have a lot of starting energy or zest. The seedlings with the longest combined height and length of tap root was Carty’s Gabagoo. Which is kinda funny since it is a notably shorter auto. I am growing 4 regs of Gabagoo and 2 of them shared the honor of having the longest combined length. The tap roots were long enough to have coiled like a spring. It won not by above ground height but by root length.

Strawberry Cough was the runner up for combined length. Also big enough to move were both of the Fast Buds seedlings (Tropicana Cookies and Amnesia Zkittlez). Pure Michigan was also large enough, though it had some minor issues.

I also planted some photo regs because comparisons matter. There are three of them and they are about 1" tall and don’t yet have real leaves (while almost all of the autos already are sporting a set of real leaves). So they are smaller and less developed.

Anyhow, 6 of the autos have moved to the grow tent. I’ve turned the power down to 50% with the hope that none of them burn. The lights are way up high, so hopefully no set-backs happen.

9 Likes

Love the line up. One suggestion. Move the light closer or turn the power up if you can. Seedlings are stretching a bit looking for more light.

4 Likes

It isn’t evident by the photos, but they started under a single bulb 100w grow LED. The tent has a lot more light and in the past I’ve scorched my seedlings even after tucking them under the canopy of large plants :sweat:

4 Likes

My bad. I just seen tall seedlings that will likely need supporting at some point so I figured I’d share my thoughts. You’ve got this :+1:

3 Likes

I totally agree, they were approaching calamity or disaster. Looking back at it, they totally look like an impending dumpster fire. :fire: Thanks for stepping up to warn me.

2 Likes

Tall seedlings can grow decent plants. They just need more light to slow the stretch. It’s finding that happy medium that the plant thrives is what’s important. Every plant requires different environments. It’s finding that one environment where they all seem happy enough that they yield bud we’re looking for.

3 Likes

I’m very interested in seeing this plant.

I’ve had a bad time putting autos out. It’s not a reveg, more of a vicious foxtailing.

I use soil blocks for outdoor, but I use these for hydro and love them. Root riot is another brand, I can’t tell them apart.

I do too.

I think they are bitchy about being even a tiny bit root bound and having their roots damaged in any way. If something happens in the root ball the auto is mad about it eternally.
I have one in my tent right now that is comically microscopic. I think it’s because the rez had a light leak and some algae grew. The algae is long gone, still mad, making microscope buds.

I look forward to your grow! I love autos, they are a lot of fun and very underrated.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for hanging out!

Me too! I had tried to find a good source for the photosensitive version and was super happy to run across it as an auto. I think that the breeder grows it outdoors with night time temps in the 40s, so it sounded pretty tough. That’s part of the reason it’s on the outdoor list - the other is that I don’t know how big it might get.

Ah… say it ain’t so :frowning: I am going to stick to the plan of waiting on a gender reveal for Beastmode, but I might get Pure Michigan out a bit earlier. I hate foxtails.

My operating theory is that giving them 3 or 4 more night hours after a transplant while making sure nap time is almost immediately after the event will help to largely flatten out the consequences.

Transplanting a plant and then giving it no recovery time (i.e. night) or inadequate recovery time might have consequences. So I am going to change the light schedule and hope for success - or at least diminished crankiness.

Super happy to have you hanging out here

4 Likes

I’ve never had issues with transplanting autos. Just don’t pat down the soil (something my brother-in-law taught me about planting chiles, God rest him).

Getting them to not stunt outside where I live is a real challenge. I noticed that Fastbuds autos have been better in that regard.

As far as falling over - I’m in a situation right now with too many plants for my space and had a bunch of Double Grape autos fall over as seedlings. I decided to leave them alone and see what happened. After a couple of days, they stood up on their own! Here they are today.

9 Likes

Following. Got a few autos this season too.

3 Likes

Pulling up a chair :grin:, good luck with all of them!

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a lovely heavy clay soil and that concerns me for an outdoor grow. I have been considering just keeping them in a 5 gallon bag that is outside but that means more watering, potential size limitations, and no way to really blend them into the landscape.

My experience with plants laying on soil is that the foliage quickly starts to have problems. So when I see it, I will always try to at least prop them up so that they aren’t on the ground. I’ve had leaves go bad just because they were touching the inside of a humid green house.

That photo of your Double Grape autos is pretty interesting. I’ve not seen that many autos growing so close to one another before. Aesthetically it is rather pleasing, It will be interesting to see how they do for collective yield.

3 Likes

The field we grow in is clay and rock. It’s possible to do.
Another option is to scoop out a hole and fill with promix and clay blended

3 Likes

I am not familiar with promix, but I will read up on it.

I already have a lot of perlite and maybe a 50/50 blend will keep the auto happy, so I do have one soil amendment that could help.

1 Like

Not well. But I’m shooting for genetic diversity. Fewer seeds per plant but more plants. I’m trying to create a Double Grape Regular IBL from fems.

Me too. I’m on two acres and it’s around a foot of heavy clay on top of shovelproof sandstone. Pots get too hot in direct sunlight so this year I’m going to shade the pots.

But I’m also going to do some guerrilla growing. I’m just going to plant them directly into the ground and topdress with Craft Blend I guess. And see how it goes. I’d really like to see cannabis growing wild around here.

3 Likes

We just tilled the field. It had no other additives besides our fertilizer.
Promix is simply a brand of peat moss perilite blend

4 Likes