Dank-D's stink box adventures

@beacher I have 2" insulation board I will be placing on the floor.
@bandit306 paid $120 for the cherries jubilee and got 3 blueberry fem and 3 jack herer fem for free gifts. That makes me feel a little better about the purchase.

8 Likes

so 12 fem seeds for $120, or 10 each… that’s basically equivalent to getting 24 regular seeds… it’s not a bad deal but i still prefer regular seeds… i’m going to buy a qPCR thermal cycler so i can do my own sex testing at home, then i won’t waste time growing males unnecessarily

9 Likes

Don’t feel bad me either and I’ve been around marijuana for almost 40 years lol

1 Like

Oo man I like the room

1 Like

lol - me either, @anon81143130…I know PCR is Polymerase Chain Reaction, which is a technique used to rapidly multiply a tiny amount of DNA so it can be tested more easily and accurately, but I’m not familiar with qPCR thermal cycling. Of course, we can safely assume that heat is cycled in some form or fashion, but I can’t piece together what a qPCR thermal cycler is or does.

BTW - I know what PCR is because I happen to work with companies who manufacture those instruments. Also, if you ever watch forensics shows, they often mention how that technique / instrument is used to test a less-than-desirable DNA sample.

So @legalcanada, can you enlighten us dummies?! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Ok guys I did a big " no no" I bought some miracle grow performance organic soil for my veg/seedlings. I have fox farm nutrients and fox farm ocean mix for flower but spent way over budget on my grow room.
Didnt really want to buy miracle grow soil but after shopping at lowes surprisingly this stuff looked to be the best they had. It doesn’t have any slow release crap but kind of heavy so I added 2 bags of course perlite.
It looks much better now but my question is should I pre rinse the stuff before planting and when would you suggest a light feeding of Fox farm big grow?

7 Likes

Miracle Gro is just a peat based container soil mix. It’ll grow fine plants. Watch for low pH and bugs, though. With most commercial potting mixes, start feeding a few weeks after germination.

You can grow fine plants with Miracle Gro fertilizer as well. There’s more complete options available, but if everything else is in order (light, water, airflow, temperatures) you’ll do fine.

6 Likes

medicinal genomics provides the neccesary supplies for sex-testing cannabis if you have your own PCR thermal cycler. it works out to $5 per sample according to their website. although with some research i bet it’s possible to find the supplies to do it cheaper.
https://www.medicinalgenomics.com/youpcr-platform/

4 Likes

Thanks, @legalcanada!

So the supplies to run a test are cheap, even at $5 per sample, but you’ll be buying your own “qPCR thermal cycler”? If you don’t mind my asking, who makes them - and how expensive are they?

2 Likes

i thought you worked for a company that manufactures thermal cyclers?

this 8 site one is $615 or there is this 16 sample one for $499 and then this DIY arduino one for apparently under $85 altho who knows about the quality and performance

3 Likes

I have a couple twisted leaves and a one of my blueberry the leaves are curling down. Any suggestions

8 Likes

I’m using RO water with ph of 6.7 but my humidity was only around 40% but they looked healthy. Then I added a humidifier and found spikes of 90% humidity so I set the humidifier to only run for 15min once per hour. Still getting stikes around 80% though. I also had a fan blowing right on them which I now moved.

1 Like

They look ok, I wouldn’t stress it. Don’t water them until they’re almost totally dry!

1 Like

Wow I looked those up after you mentioned them and for some reason thought they were like $50k+. That could be a good business opportunity for you (or someone), sexing plants for $10 a pop or whatever…it’s legal to mail up to 30 grams in Canada so it should be totally fine.

1 Like

Was thinking nitrogen toxicity since I just planted in that soil or possibly my high humidity. But the high humidity is very short lived. You think they will be fine?

LITFA…a healthy dose of that should do the trick. Take a little now and then look in 3 days and see how you feel. Look in 3 days and I bet you’ll see things totally different. LITFA is powerful stuff not to be fkd with…Its completely harmless with great results. Even shitty growers are using it with great results…new growers get suburb results. We are seeing a success rate with seedlings as high as 98% success rate with even just a small amount of LITFA.
They will adapt or die…its beyond your hands now bro. I understand the struggle is real. Now have the compassion to allow them the dignity to fight for life and the light! Send them positive9581ae89ebf61b90ff97a3879ec6418f energy as you practice LITFA.

5 Likes

Not sure if you were saying this to me, but if so, I can see why you thought that - but it’s not what I wrote. I won’t bother writing it again because what I wrote didn’t change. But to clarify, I don’t work “for”, I work with. I’m a consultant and work with a variety of scientific instrument and software companies. Some of my clients do make PCR machines within their Life Sciences divisions, but I rarely venture into that arena, and when I do, it’s usually associated with their Proteomics-oriented solutions. Most of my work is with the Analytical Instrumentation and software side of their business.

Thanks for the info on the thermal cycler!

1 Like

i know i learned a lot…i was thinking the samething!

UPDATE
16 days old on the 2 blueberry and just transplanted in fox farm ocean mix. The roots were everywhere out of the bottom if the solo cups. I’ve never had node spacing so tight and such a strong smell from such a small plant. They have a super strong fruit smell and at less that 3" tall are working on the 5th node. I’m just waiting to take clones.

11 Likes

I had some issues with one of the cherries jubilee about a week ago so popped another seed and left a crazy looking one continue to grow and glad I did as it grew from seed with 4 tops.

11 Likes