Def-Gardens In High Desert

Killer stuff for sure!

2 Likes

@DefNSmokn

From what I understand a true backcross would have to come from progeny off a cross of the original parents(ie a male plant [son] from a TK x TK crossed back to the mother {Bx}
If you grow seeds out again from that first Bx and take a male{grandson}and cross that back to the original mother again it would be a {Bx1}
The Stardawg in the equation throws things out.

Something like that
If I’m wrong hopefully someone will chime in and correct me.

Either way
I’m sure you going to end up with some great beans.

1 Like

But how would you get a male offspring from a clone only plant?

1 Like

Correct
So wouldn’t it have to be
(TK x Tombstone) x (TK x Tombstone) for Bx

I wouldn’t think so, but I’m over my head, so I’ll let people who know give the answer

Bx only applies going back to an earlier generation for example

If u cross tombstone with blueberry diesel u now have the f1, you make f2s, keep chasing and make some f3s and grow those out and may feel like u lost vigor from the original cross by the f3 generation, so u take a handful of seeds from the f1 generation and find a really vigorous f1 male that u dust on your favorite f3 female and you now have a bx1 since grandpa and granddaughter got it on.

Now taking that f3 and crossing it to a blueberry diesel or a tombstone parent from before the f1 wouldn’t not make it a bx but an incross (ix) since ur taking the new cross and crossing it back to one of the original parents that made the original cross

5 Likes

Part of the problem is when we talk about crossing a hybrid with another hybrid, we call it “F1” and I think that confuses the issue a little

2 Likes

TK x Tombstone(TK x StarDawg) = TK BX1 already
If you hit that with reversed TK pollen, that is, albeit a slightly weird, fem TK BX2. You’re putting the TK on both sides of the family line by reversing her. I’m trying to do the same weird bx, in my case a fem bx1, with TK x TriForce(TK x Kryptonite).

7 Likes

That’s because it is an f1 taking a plant and crossing it with another plant not of the same cultivar

2 Likes

Edit: deleted because I’m probably wrong

1 Like

Backcrosses technically require one of the original parents to cross back to… So you’d be taking the F3 back to its F1 Male grandfather. The male used to make the F2’s that led to the F3’s. If it’s a different F1 male you used to do the cross, you have made an inline cross not a backcross.

4 Likes

This scenario would be an ix1
Because a back cross would have to be something like a tombstone f1 x tombstone f3

Where as you taking the new cross and crossing it back to only only one of its parents making it an ix

1 Like

no its still a backcross because you’re taking the offspring and crossing it back to its parent. to increase homozygosity. if you used the same line but not the parent, its an inline cross and cannot be a backcross.

5 Likes

This is exactly the confusion

Back cross is breeding offspring from a male and a female from past and future generations of the cross ie f3>f1

Whereas an incross is taking one of the original parents that made the f1 cross and crossing it with offspring of the following f generations ie f2> pre f1 parent

1 Like

except every cannabis breeder on earth lists this as the opposite. they all use “bx/backcross” to denote crosses back to the original parent. and they all use “ix/inline cross” to denote crosses back to previous generations without the original parents.

4 Likes

I get that can be horticulturally wrong. we use a lot of wrong terms in cannabis.

2 Likes

U know, I prob do have it backwards come to think of it. Again, this is where the confusion happens haha that would make more sense though of incross being in the cross and back cross back to the parent that made the cross

3 Likes

Ok, so with this information, thank you by the way, im going to take the Tombstone pollen and pollinate a TK clone and make a handful of BX1 seeds. Then hunt them for a male to BX2 with.

I have my old TK mom in with the male GG4RIL right now but I do have a baby clone I could flip in another tent.

6 Likes

I thought about trying to reverse the TK but idk, it seems like it’s incredibly difficult to do. Maybe I’ll try it one day.

3 Likes