Deliberate Light Leaks

So I’m not too concerned about light leaks:

I don’t think a little is a big deal.

But, even more interestingly, I disrupted the light cycle from 12 hours artificial light to 15 hours window light and the trichs/plants kept developing just fine:

Everything is as it should be. I’m pretty amazed actually. Light cycle, pshaw.

Not like I’m going to do this consistently and on purpose but a week at 15 hours made no difference.

Am I crazy? Are you stuck in your ways?

Discuss. Or tell me I’m a fool. Both are acceptable.

Have a lovely day.

19 Likes

I wouldn’t really expect a week of slightly disrupted lights to show much change, considering it takes over a week for plants to show any signs of the change to 12/12 in the first place. It doesn’t mean it’s not going to reveg/herm later. It also doesn’t mean it’s going to. Depends on the genetics, I’d assume. Some plants are on a hair trigger, some are more stable. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

I would have been much more concerned had I done this move around flip, in fact I probably wouldn’t have, but finishing in window light, no problem. I’ve given them a few extra days in the cab but I don’t think it’s really necessary.

3 different strains no worries.

4 Likes

I run pretty stable genetics and I never worry about light leaks.
But I do know, light leaks will cause unstable genetics to turn intersex.
It really depends heavily on the stability of the plant.
They sometime will not show intersex traits until the very end.
My 2 cents here…

5 Likes

Had they thrown a few bananas I probably wouldn’t have cared because they’re basically done anyway. But totally clean, no problems, no worries. We can put the whole light system on trial.

3 Likes

You Crazy fool! I tossed crazy from the previous sentence in there hope ya don’t mind. :crazy_face:
I’m starting to think genetics are the biggest factor in a plant herming out. If it wants to herm it very may well without any assistance from us. I’m sure we can help the process along but the herm trait was there in that genetic makeup lurking near the surface just looking for an excuse. I have several Purple punch crosses that over the past few years have allowed me to upgrade my grow setup and fine tune my growing game chasing my herm problem. The problem was genetics. I’ve moved on and am doing pretty well at this point. In reality I owe thanks to my past herm issues. Not what I wanted at the time but I’ve learned a ton about growing thinking I was the constant screw up. Just my thoughts. :facepunch:t3::fist:t3::vulcan_salute:t3:

2 Likes

I think crazy was is a good addition to that sentence.

I’ve seen many herms. Some obviously early genetic, some obviously late genetic. But I’ve never really abused any into issue herms But thats only for lack of trying.

4 Likes

I’ve seen several myself. Honestly they’ve all been from the same place. I grew the same strain for years back home. When I moved and started indoors I had a stash of bagseed and for three years never had an issue. When I ran out of those I ventured online. Inexperienced, uneducated, excited and foolish I bought a ton of genetics from a “reputable” spot with a ton of great reviews and pretty pictures. 13 or so packs and everything herms! I’ve rarely seen a nanner just full blown ball hanging I’m gonna blow your grow herms. I sir was the Crazy fool! :rofl: Talk about putting all your beans in one basket!

3 Likes

Yeah sounds like they got you. I’ve seen many over my career, some freaky weird ones, but never overarching issues like you describe.

3 Likes

Some genetics are just unstable but some like to hold on to them anyway.
In that case, we have ethylene to fix any banana issues that come along if needed.
This product can be used to reverse males for breeding too.

3 Likes

I really did have my doubts. I did it out of necessity. No problems at all. Development as would be expected.

2 Likes

How long were they flowering when you made the switch?

I guess the longer they’ve been in flower the less they gonna care, depending on cultivar.

Like I said before, in the outdoors there’s the full moon so as long as the light leak isn’t stronger than a full moon it’ll be fine.

5 Likes

I’m gonna say…6 weeks.

3 Likes

yeah 6 weeks is far along. i guess its like reveg a plant? you know, when i place them from 12/12 after semi harvesting - they go directly into 24/0 and i dont see them herming or throwing bananas - they just turn veg (if all goes well, if not they just rot lol).

I have seen plants that had a considerable light leak thru out the entire flowering process get stressed out and pop some seeds tho. so i do try to take care of my light leaks.

1 Like

They are going to be harvested very soon so even if I see evidence, which I have not, it’s not a big deal.

1 Like

Growing outdoors with other houses around and shit. I use to trip out when my next-door neighbor would leave his porch light on or carport LED on. I don’t anymore. Shit, sometimes the moon and stars are so bright. You know what everything blooms just fine. Unless you are running stadium lights in the room a tent is in. I don’t think light leaks matter to much at all.

1 Like

I have the Ikea parking lot right next to me and it does fuck with them, they get stuck halfway in veg. Still make decent hash.

1 Like

Stadium lights.

1 Like

Yeah it’s serious.

“Turn the light off”
“It is off”

1 Like

I think depends on the type of light in most cases.

1 Like