What have you noticed the most to cause intersex traits???

I have a client that just Herms out every round for a whole year. His room, temp, air exchange, nutrients, etc… is pretty decent. I have noticed a few light leaks when he first hired me as a consultant. There was a light leak coming in the bottom of door from the next room and he did not cover the lights on the ballast and dehumidifier that was in the flower room.
Now all light leaks are covered and the crops are still herming!!! I bring the same strains to my personal tent and have 0 problems with intersex traits!
Must be his environment but can’t tell because I can’t control it 24/7. Basically chalking it up as grower error. Thanks!!!

8 Likes

Pretty much has to be genetics at this point. Have they been running the same strains this whole time?

Modern genetics are plagued with hermies. I have a friend who grows alot of the latest cool strains you see on Instagram and stuff. I was looking at his plants and asked if he ever had hermie issues and he said literally every strain he grows will herm to some degree.

If you go in the room in the dark for a few minutes and can’t see your hand in front of your face then it’s dark enough, if not that could very well be the issue. Besides that the only environmental factors that could cause that might be drastic temperature swings or other very obvious problems.

If none of that is evident then I would get a cutting or seeds of a ‘bulletproof’ time tested strain like northern lights or something and run it to see what it does.

6 Likes

Thanks for the knowledge!
It is most certain genetics!!!
Stay UP!!!

1 Like

To be more clear and hopefully help others and answer your question about running the same strains. I run Lincoln OG X Chem 91 bred by Dank by Pank and have 0 issues!!! That and my Aloha Limone from Colorado seed company have never had problems and always thrive in all clients gardens, while all the other HYPE NEW STRAINS are herming!! Thanks for the clarification that it is genetics.
Certain clients just do what the want when I leave!! LOL! I come back and notice a bunch of new seeds…oh my… Peace!
Thank you again!!! Stay UP! GROWHTRULIFE

1 Like

Well it sucks they had to learn the hard way lol. Hilarious to think of them sneaking in genetics when you’re not there and then being like WTF COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE??!?

Keep in mind alot of these modern strains will just throw a banana or two and often the pollen isn’t even viable so people will keep them around because they’re so good. I just think it’s bad that people keep breeding with them and watering down the gene pool.

3 Likes

Well said! All I can do is inspire…
Thanks!

1 Like

I second what @beacher said in his first post I would get something stable and easy to grow like NL and see if your client hermie’s them as well and if he hermie’s them it may be time to set a camera up and see what’s happening when you’re not there lol

2 Likes

I would have to say unstable genetics. Its mainly in the seed. People will say room problems like heat stress. Etc. But its genetics. All those environmental issues other than light schedule really dont herm a plant from solid genes. Theyll slow it stop it from uptake n die maybe but wont make it herm. The herm is from its past. Of course you can force it but it wont just happen unless its weak and in its history to begin with

3 Likes

I think he has learned his lesson.
All I can do is inspire and pass knowledge!
Thanks!!!

Completely agree! Thanks!!

good idea…

I have a balcony that gets horrible light pollution. I ran 4 different strains on it. None of them hermed. The buds didn’t get nearly as tight as they would have, almost like they were stuck in half veg half flower.

I have had 3 herms in my tent this year. One from “feminized” seed, one mild herm from a bag seed, and one full on herm from a source I can’t recall. I would have to check my notes.

But I think it’s more genetic than environment.

4 Likes

Good info on here guys!
Thanks for your thoughts!!

1 Like

It is my pet theory that people who let their plants get too dry between waterings cause a great deal of stress to plants and thus they herm more. I can’t prove it, but just something I’ve noticed.

You always hear “never overwater” and “only water when the pot is totally dry” but my plants are pretty constantly moist and I almost never have any intersex issues. Rare occasions I do it seems to be just genetic i.e. 1 plant has a few nanners rest are fine, or growing from stock that is more susceptible to it (ex. chem/sour cuts are famous for it).

1 Like

Yeah this is possible. I run a daily input to runoff so my soil never really dries either. I just exchange fluid and air daily.

I agree. Too much water isn’t the problem, lack of air is. Heavy low porosity media mixes don’t hold enough air at full saturation.

What kind of lights does your client use??

Ive recently seen mention that lights which dont penetrate the canopy well arent getting much light to lower bud sites then they are more likely to herm.
Which is a good reason why a lot of people defoliate the lowers on plants

2 Likes

Stress in general will cause intersex. Light leaks lead to hormone stress, heat or cold stress, over or under feeding stress, pH stress, drought stress, etc.

1 Like

Not disagreeing with you, just saying I think it’s a common overlooked factor.

If everything else is in order and you can’t figure it out, that may be your problem. I notice a lot of people almost let them wilt before they water again.

1 Like

He is using HPS

1 Like