Dementia in Loved One

I’ve bought her CBD edibles, hard candies she still has. Always gently pushing. But yeah, it’s close to the point I’m going to give her some sleep aids that I make myself.

3 Likes

You have given me a bunch to think about and look into. Thank you.

B is only 60. Some of the things that caused concern, started happening almost right off after we married, so I overlooked things that would cause greater trouble, later.

I blamed MS, a history with some impulse control and drug and alcohol abuse when young, the brain injuries.

While sweet with me, he was a bit of a Wild Ass, and I must admit I love it. But, I am glad we met older.

His gentleness with me ruled me. His consideration of me had me craving more lifetimes. Through all of the anxiety and rage and destruction, that still shines through with some words or deeds ever so often. And that just makes me forget all the bad. Then I can’t be realistic or practical.

Increasingly though, and lastingly, there is physical proof of what’s happening to him.

I’m glad to hear that your grandpa could experience some form of happiness. I can hope that somehow, some might find B. Bless that cannabis for the smiles it brings.

I have not slept and I’ve been cleaning. I’ve been pretty numb, I guess. Well, a dam just broke, thinking about your grandpa and what you’ve said.

6 Likes

May, some form of Peace, find you, and embrace you, Dej.
I myself, would seek out a strong Indica, over a sativa as they seem to me to be more brain fire, more thought provoking, more items to think about, maybe this can cause his signals to go haywire for a while.
Not the cause of course, but in my minds eye, indica’s usually give far more body relief, it’s a stretchy, I know, calm body, calm mind?
Then in an edible, oil form, butter/concentrates, and stay on a 4-6 hour dose pattern.
I say this due to offering to make a simple butter, for a lady who’s son was not supposed to live after being born. Seizures, extra chromosomes, just a slew of stuff, and was told, to go make arrangements, he may live a few days.
Around the age 17, his meds needed to be increased to keep the seizures from killing him. His mood swings went wild, pacing all night long from pain, never ate dinner with them, light caused him pain.
His mom came to me when he was 18, and the meds are now getting close to being toxic for him, and nothing else was availbable for him. She is not a stoner, and hated our world, but desparation made her go read, after telling the doctor about weed, got his blessing, but did not want to hear about it.
We found after months of working it, for him, as Mom did NOT want a stoner kid, we found his happy place, no seizures, he could sleep, got his appetited back, hell he even found work for being disabled!!
All he needed was 10 grams of weed into a stick of butter, so freaking simple! She would auctually measure out 30 doses from a pan of brownies, so he could have a chunk a day. My eyes are tearing up now as it was the only miracle I’ve ever saw happen, and I’m not a believer in religion.
That was 8-9 years ago, and he is STILL doing fantastic! His mom wanted to see to him smile once before he died, now he’s like a stand up comedian telling shitty jokes!!

The second time I saw butter save a life was my wife’s nephews wee taco bell dog. He was on Phenol Barbital for seizures, for the first 5 years of his wee life. As he got older, they upped the amount, due to tolerances, until it was going to be so high, that organ failure would start and death soon to follow. Doc told him maybe a year left.
Now wee dog was always very irritable, snarling and snapping when the kids got to close to the food bowl, or if they sat to close, a bark and runs off.
He (nephew) came to me wondering if any I could offer the wee dog any help. Over a course of a month or 2, the end result was this: 4 grams of weed, to 4 ounces of vegetable glycerin, shaken 3-4 times a day, for about a couple of weeks, then put into a dropper filled bottle, and kept frigerated, 2-3 drops in the AM, 2-3 drops at supper. And the wee dude is STILL HERE!!! Seizure free to boot.
Now for 2 side effects, that popped up, and why I’m posting this, the wee dog completely lost his anger issue with the kids!!! They can now take food out of his bowl as he is eating!! He, seeks them out on the couch and lays with them!! Lost is constant barking at EVERYTHING too.
So in my wee brain, some connection is bridged in the brain with a weed/butter or weed/ vegetable glycerin that help a human and a canine to find calm.
I went through some intense car giving for my ma, 10 years ago. I honestly hope for peace for you both of some kind Dej.

8 Likes

Lions Mane is not a psychedelic. But it’s said that it “could” help against dementia.

Also consider an iron fluorine - plant based iron.

3 Likes

I forgot to reply to your original question about strains. I’m happy to share seeds with you if you think it will help. I’ve got plenty and I’d love to pay it forward. Shoot me a quick note in PM and we’ll figure out how to get you some seeds. I’ve got a bunch of varieties - some indica for sleep and pain and calming, some sativa like you asked for that hopefully will help, and some CBD seeds for healing and inflammation reduction that I think might be your best bet.

You’ll want to go easy on the recommendation of using psychedelics for B’s condition. I would carefully consider and research it before you dive into the deep end of the pool like that because psychedelics can have significantly negative reactions in people who are bipolar or have mood disorders. I only mention that to urge caution, not to discourage you.

Luckily this is an area of current research interest. There are a LOT of helpful psych resources in the US and Canada, depending on where you live, that may be able to discretely provide information, therapy, or just counseling for you both. Some are underground, some are above board, and some are academic. But please seek them out before you start down the path of psychedelic assisted therapy.

Anything I can do, don’t hesitate to reach out. Please. :green_heart:

:peace_symbol:

8 Likes

Thank you. I can look at myself and the past few years and only see my failings, right now, things I missed, blamed on something else. Maybe I should have been louder, more insistent with doctors. Maybe I could have known more, earlier.

Before B and I had been together a year, I was asking 1st neuro and neuro PA if what B was experiencing could be Sundowning. I kept asking doctors, and his psychiatric PA. I kept getting told it was not likely, due to his age. I kept saying that there was much more to be considered. They kept attributing his issues to mood, cognitive impairment due to MS, his history and mental health.

I know I’m not right in the head. I was a ward of the State. I was kept in children’s homes. I am rather anti social, and an introvert. I do not see things like someone raised with with others or with affection does.

I do have a high tolerance for any kind of instability in others, though. It hasn’t always ended well for me with my attempts at interpersonal relationships. I am concerned that I ‘tolerated’ issues with Brian’s health and abilities, to his detriment.

If/when he returns, it will not be without visiting nurses and a solid back up plan for his care. Conversations about these things really bring out the bear in him.

Thank you for telling about your grandpa. I see so much in B in what you are saying.

Sometimes, he becomes very anxious about me walking the dog, or has to know where I am at all times, even in our tiny condo.

6 Likes

This, it’s a tool, tools can be dangerous when misused, and like any other chemical that might be prescribed, it needs to be done with proper mental health supervision as much as possible. I’m a big fungi proponent and very much agree with @nubes’ statement.

4 Likes

The communication with the nurses where he is has not been a disappointment.

Speaking with him on the phone, he expressed a concern that rapidly evolved into minor frustration to an episode of explosiveness.

I’m so glad that this happened under supervision. I’m not sure if it’s right or not, but I sure feel a little less lonely in this this, now. And, it will only help B to get the help he needs.

I have tried to get him interested in growing his cannabis plants. He likes looking at them. He likes that the grow tent occupies me and makes me happy. But, he just seems to not have it in himself to take part, and that is fine.

Maybe he will participate in growing some mushrooms, or enjoy their development. I know he will like them sauteed.

I slept for a long, long time. Now, I will go see Brian. This will be a very busy day for him.

4 Likes

Sorry you’re dealing with that…

It hits close to home here.

First off - check your local dementia groups - there’s supports out there. One on one, groups, internet chats, etc… Please access them. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. It’s a monumental task to care for someone with dementia.

7 Likes

I did not even think yet, of looking for in person supports locally. I will start this today. Thank you.

Illinois had been experiencing shortages in product for patients, especially in my area. We would get the oils for him, and sometimes pre-rolls, but they were so harsh.

Pineapple Express did good things for him, as did Katsu Bubba Kush, Blueberry Headband. He really liked the Harlequin, too. The product he gave away, was a Fadtbuds West Coast OG. That seemed to have good results for his walking.

I made FECO for him, and edibles. We got him a vaporizer, and then another, a Arizer Solo 2. The Solo is too much for him to navigate, right now.

He prefers using a dropper and a glycerine based tincture.

It is amazing. He can be slumped over, barely having the energy to communicate, and one single puff on the vaporizer can transform him a bit. Then it is smiles and ready to play outside. Two and he is a pleasure to do things with.

I really cannot get over how this works. Every time, I am stunned.

He is still in hospital. His poor brain. When I saw an MRI, after we first got together, I nearly greased myself, as a lay person.

So much atrophy and the ‘black holes’ were without number. I could not believe he had what he has and is even walking.

I so appreciate you sharing your own experiences with me, recommendations.

I am going to grow some Lions Mane (especially for my own pleasure), and some seeds a member here is recommending. I’ll have to take pictures and share their development.

I am going to make more of an effort to encourage more cannabis usage, at different times of the day, clean up the diet that I let slide a bit, and get out of the house more by myself, so that he can have more personal space and maybe feel a little freedom of space. He’s going to be a little busier here, with help coming in.

3 Likes

Illinois med supply has been bad, I can sympathize there. Going off the strains, sounds like he’s getting the same relief I look for. I have to stay away from combustion, found the easiest vaporizer either a Dynvavap or the cartridges (although they get expensive).

It’s great to hear you get some time away, that you can take knowing he’s safe. That’ll go a long way. My grandparents were blessed with many friends that would visit just to get some conversation. Do not neglect yourself, I know it’s hard to think of.

2 Likes

B now has to enter a facility voluntarily, or his choices will be removed from him.

Every single day has brought on a fresh new hell. He has required so much in the way of interactions with the police, called by me, neighbors, or kind strangers. He has nearly lived in emergency departments .
He has really risked his life too many times with with impulsive and unpredictable behavior, and the abusiveness has taken such turns, drastic turns, here recently.

I will try to keep him as close as possible, with a facility that can attend to his needs.

I will continue to grow cannabis for him and to deliver it discreetly in edible form.

4 Likes

I think this will give him the best chance of being safe, and possibly being properly medicated, and watched. It must be hard but it is probably the best thing.

3 Likes