Diggy’s Dungeon

I’d be down with that. I could start the whole batch on 4/20/22, and have them all documented, proper.

Ma.SS, ~Creeping up on four weeks into flower.
One week since pollination, now, and they’re filling back in with new viable pistils.

Sister A) Happy, happy.
Sister B) Little Potassium burn. Maybe a dry spot in the soil?

There should be like 4-6 seeds per gram. What’s the halfway point between Sinsemilla and absolutely flooded with seeds? Semisemilla? :joy:

11 Likes

Logically, it works. Sin means without, so… why not? Maybe Consemilla?

So I guess seeds fly ALL over here in the winter? I became active in april / may, and its been lots of free seeds from peeps, but maybe its me but right now I am seeing LOTS of people pollenating and plenty of seeds being made, more so than in the summer / spring for sure… Shit, I can’t wait to share some of my own creations :smiley: lol

I can only imagine whats in store if everybodys pollenations are as successful as mine was :smiley: And mine wasn’t anything to brag about :rofl:

6 Likes

Hell yeah. All things go according to plan; the first ~800 or so seeds should be in a few dozen stockings, on Christmas mornin.
(forgot to post whole plant shots.)

Also, I always have some sort of unusual companion plant in the pots. Not so much for any (real, or imaginary) allelopathy, but because I like not watering extra pots
So far, besides the ordinary things like Clovers and Barley, I’ve had: Marigolds; Collards; Morning Glories; and Lettuce. Garlic and Lentils in particular both tend to behave themselves.

10 Likes

Technically Day 33
Pollinated twice during the fourth week of flower, and then the male was removed. There’s still new white pistils poppin so it’s a pretty good bet they weren’t over-pollinated, and all the seeds will fully ripen.

I don’t understand the seed development and maturation process very well… It’s independent of light schedule!?!
I have so many questions…
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :upside_down_face: :confused: :upside_down_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Welp. My understanding of reality holds no bearing on it, so no use pondering it in absence of an expert.

What matters is we can increase DLI in seed-bearing plants beyond that of normal flowering for sinsemilla, even if we’re already pushing the limits of PPFD, by cutting our dark period.

Why would we want to do that? Aren’t the plants going to try to reveg and turn the flowers to trash? Yup! But more photosynthesis plus fewer hours of darkness, keeps more sugars in the plant, giving us larger seeds. This is important to me because the seed stock these plants came from was consistently incredibly small, even though they were nice and dark, and clearly mature seeds.

I’ve successfully harvested seeds from moms pollinated in veg, and shortened the dark period of plants in their last couple weeks of flower. But never tried adjusting the light schedule a week after pollination, in the middle of flower, tho, so we’re treading new waters. I’ll take pics weekly to see how they transform.

15 Likes

Stacking nicely :ok_hand:

1 Like

Definitely worth listening to in the background as you work.

Couple thoughts:

1. Open pollination; might be a good rule of thumb that this be the first step in every breeding project. Can’t go backwards after you’re bottlenecked.

2. Bulk Selection; Used to quickly acclimate a line to your environment, by letting natural selection drive for the first few generations, and selecting the best individuals to continue from a >F5 generation.

3. Single Seed Descent; Decide the maximum number of plants you would like to run, divide by 3, and you have (x).
    Take two clones from (x) number of plants in your F2 generation, reverse one of each, and make (x) number of S1 generations.
    Grow one seed from every batch of S1s, and take two clones from each and every one of those. Reverse (x) number of clones and make (x) number of S2 generations.
    Grow one seed from every batch of S2s, and take two clones from each of those. Reverse one, impregnate the other. Now that you have (x) number of S3s, you’re almost halfway done. Rinse and repeat up until S6 before starting your selections, and progeny testing. If you thought the description was tedious, imagine the practice. :grin:

(Need to add more to this)

13 Likes

Jeebus, its been ten days already? Plants are just now realizing the short days are over, and the next pictures should include the first funky-reveg spirals.

Pro-tip; when temps drop transpiration goes down with it, and translocation of nutrients, too. That means the maximum ppfd a plant can use also goes down, and if you forget to turn your lights down with it: Sunburn;

Second pro-tip. When that happens, take your pictures from the backside of the plants :joy:

Please forgive the nasty-ass fungus gnats.

15 Likes

Hey Diggy,
Really enjoying watching you do all this and learning about this… nothing like a good tutorial like your doing here… thanks for sharing so much and teaching me about reversing plants… After trying a few autos from WSE I’m a bit disappointed in their stock’s germination issues and now Gelato’s deficiency problems… meanwhile your Upzalberry plants are coming along great my man…
And now you have me so looking forward to Christmas… I even have a stocking with my name on it… hehe.

keep sharing this along, I’m learning boss…

3 Likes

(I screwed up in that post about the genetics video. It’s supposed to say F6, which would be the S4 generation. From now on I’m offering a bounty on any incorrect information in this thread. Point it out, correct me with a source to back it up, and I’ll give you a free pack of seeds.)

12 Likes

How in the world do seeds so close together, mature at such a drastically different rate?

14 Likes

Great thread - I hope you don’t mind humoring my 2cents.

Perhaps because they are so close together?

Maybe the plant is making critical decisions about allocating resources locally. One diagnostic might be to remove the mature seed and track the development of the greener one over the next few days. Easy experiment to replicate too.

6 Likes

Location, location, location… the one seed was in a better location be it light or nutrients…

This would/could be a wicked experiment… like Vesti said, harvest the mature seed and monitor the green one until it matures… then do a side by side grow for a true comparison.
I let my seeds go 6wks to mature on plant… why I love working with the Autos… drop some pollen during preflower and at havest, walla, beans are ready too… hehe.

Diggy diggies Upzalberry project I have going on… here is a girl I grew out just to test her and the strain…

7 Likes

Damn, dude, that makes a lot of sense.

Definitely always throw your two cents in, whenever.

3 Likes

I’d be down with that. I could start the whole batch on 4/20/22, and have them all documented, proper.

Not forgotten about ya dude… Have 100 of these put aside for you ok… not sure, might have your addy, let ya know after holiday… I’ve actually done 2 germination tests with them at 100% and now have 6 planted to run to get a size perspective… not into runt autos… lol.

Upzalberry just doesn’t roll off the tongue does it… Is Pinewood Derby Autos the name of your entire Auto line you’ll be creating or just this one strain of previously called Upzalberry…
hehe… Are you describing the flavor with the Pinewood? hope so, love me a pine flavor…
Me, I try to incorporate previous strain tributaries or whatnot… the mix of this strain being a bit long I keep forgetting it other then it has Crem de la Chem and another Mephisto strain in it’s makeup…

I do agree in a change… I like your idea behind your art and what your going for… me, I’d have the car crashing into a huge pot plant and clones in the popped trunk… damn hippies, stop smoking before days end… hahahaha… but seriously, glad to be apart of this as is ZZ.

and loving watching these mature…

!

and the one I’m currently reversing, gets it’s 2nd spraying tomorrow on day 5…

7 Likes

Upzallberry was the name for a completely unrelated autoflowering line, that was abandoned. I just passed the name on to this line because imagination isn’t my strong suit lmfao.

:joy: I like it.

Yo, and feel free to pick a different name that you like if Pinewood Derby isn’t the right one.

2 Likes

The flavor that comes thru for me is a very nice sweet berry flavor, at least this pheno…
makes me lean towards the grape side for names… I’ve started out by researching the 4
strains that make her genetics… wow, impressive.

1 Like

Made some dry ice for the first time, and hot damn does it produce a high-quality kief puck. I kind of wince when I call it hash, tho, because none of it is full-melt.
Things I learned:
Do it in a zero humidity environment, or it turns into a snow machine;
Small, gentle runs. Don’t shake coins out of its pockets — Jostle it like you’re draining pasta;

If anyone remembers the previous garden bed from a couple years back, with covid more or less over it’s getting an extension, and put back into service. It’s on a fairly gentle incline but the rain tends to channel, so I’m dropping a hugelkultur at the bottom and stretching it back up towards the main bed, to slow the flow and keep more water on the property.

Facing west;
An hour later, facing north.

Oak and Birch for the most part. There’s effectively an infinite supply, at every stage of decomposition. Was hoping to be done before winter. Oh god, I’m so far behind! :joy:

9 Likes

Stay warm my friend.

1 Like

Two Double Grape, three Chem de la Chem, and one Spider Plant.

Please forgive the dirty floor.
Addendum: Oh snap! I’m a sponsor now!
https://overgrow.com/g/Sponsors

8 Likes

Looks great to me.

1 Like