Parttime's perpetual party time

Hey folks, I figure today is as good as any to spend some time doing a writeup about my garden and get a grow journal running. I’m absolute trash at documenting my garden but we’ll see how this goes, maybe I’ll take the occasional photo that doesn’t suck, too! I’m a little long-winded so I don’t blame you if you just scroll past the rambling.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask 'em, but I’m just fucking around and whatnot. I know my plants don’t look great sometimes but that’s alright.

About me as a grower

I started growing in a 2x2.5 tent in 2017, using a blurple light and bottled nutrients, throwing away my soil every run and losing genetics that I really enjoyed because I didn’t have a cloner or anything. So I ended up expanding to using a 2x4 tent as a flower tent, and I ended up meeting a super cool guy via instagram who grew organically in 2019-ish, and his methods just seemed interesting and fun and easy, and I’m honestly a longtime hippy at heart, so natural stuff is more up my alley anyway.

So now I have a 4x4 bed in a 4x4 tent, and I use my 2x4 as a veg tent. It’s pretty cool but I feel like we could all use more room for this shit, right?

I have the tendency to torture my plants without intending to, but at least I usually know what I’m doing wrong. I keep them in smaller pots than I should for too dang long, and put clones in my cloner without a humidity dome, so my veg tent kind of looks like hell a lot of the time. I overcrowd my tents a lot, so what’re ya gonna do.

I’ve been illegally growing for so long that it’s still just a good practice to keep it to myself, but I believe homegrowing will be legal in my state this year…? I don’t know, I don’t pay too much attention to what’s legal and what’s not when it comes to shit that I’m used to keeping quiet about.

I’m a hobbyist grower, I don’t make anything off of it, I just supply myself and someone else, so it makes it weird to be online and people are always just trying to sell you something. I’m not trying to break records or win cups or anything, I just wanna grow cool pot. I like a good stoney pot that puts my anxiety to bed. I don’t really love getting all spun up and having a shitty time getting scared, but I do kind of dig longer flowering stuff and find them neat. Landrace preservation is a big ol’ interest/plan for the future. I have some seeds to go through and make more of.

The Garden
I have my 2x4 and my 4x4 tents, and a tote that I call my soil bin, and even mistakenly refer to it as my worm bin sometimes because I feed it scraps occasionally to keep the worms happy. Sometimes it’s overfilled, and sometimes it’s empty, it just ebbs and flows. I realized the other day that the bottom like 6 inches of it was just worm castings, so I mixed it up and threw in some dead clones that didn’t root.

My soil is native forest soil from a friend’s land, and some bagged soil(I like roots organics but have no reason for the preference, I’ve just used it most and my biggest complaint is that sometimes I get fungus gnats). Honestly I put all the dirt I could round up into my 4x4 bed when I set it up, and I added supersoil concentrate to it. Since then I’ve added the occasional bit of fruit or topdressing, and I added some crushed up oyster or clam shells or something, I don’t even remember.

I use rice hulls for aeration and they tend to compress over time so I have seedlings drown if I try to use my soil, and I found a bag of vermiculite in my garage recently so I’ll start mixing that in and that should help.

I’ve recently started actually using the KNF ferments that I’ve been hearing so much about. I’ve notice nothing different, but I’ve been enjoying the busy work. Last year I made some comfrey FPJ, and just recently I made LAB and WCA(water soluble calcium) and am going to strain out some melon FFJ I’m making sometime this week.

The larger plants, starting on the left, are Spirit Rider 2, Tiger King 1, Tiger King 3, and Ancient Aliens. The small pots all over the place are just clones of those 4 plants and Spirit Rider 3 which is in the flower tent.
I’m also popping various seeds lately. I’m working on starting some bag seeds from when I mishandled some males and got pollen contamination while I was growing Blackberry Hashplant and Ghana Hashplant (both from Dragon’s Flame Genetics) and they were really weird and funky smelling plants and I decided to try to check out the bag seeds to try to find a couple of cool plants. I’d like to smoke it again but I’ve also decided to start looking for a male to start putzing around with intentionally making seeds. A few of them seem to be sprouting, but we’ll see what happens. Also sprouting some quinoa and peanuts to use as cover crop because I can’t seem to find my damn alfalfa seeds anywhere.

Front left is Spirit Rider 3(only transplanted in there a week or so ago), front right is Tiger King 3, and the back two plants are Tiger King 1.

The Genetics
Spirit Rider is my friend’s cross, and it’s: Magdalene(White Widow x Holodeck Jesus) x Dragon’s Hashplant F2
I don’t have pictures of her in flower, unfortunately (more of a record keeping issue than a lack of photos tbh)
Honestly I think even if my friend hadn’t bred this, I’d love this plant. I’ve grown Magdalene (he bred it as well) and it’s great, and the Dragon’s Hashplant F2 from Dragon’s Flame Genetics is obviously gonna be a ripper, because DFG brings the heat consistently. It’s a stable strain, and I’ve been growing out two plants because I haven’t been able to decide what to keep. I also suck at describing plant smell profiles unless it’s super fresh in my mind. Hopefully I can come in and edit this with a proper description after I’ve ground some up again.

Ancient Aliens is from Magick Beans: Alien Marmalade #6 x Starkiller
I don’t have pictures of her in flower, unfortunately (more of a record keeping issue than a lack of photos tbh)
You ever have a plant that you don’t really love but you don’t have a great replacement for it yet? I don’t love this but I also really do. The bud has a nice orange zest and tire rubber smell but also sometimes there’s some pine maybe, and it’s a pretty solid asskicker, but it ALWAYS grows like one male part in the lowers that I just never find, so I’m picking seeds out of a limb every harvest. Once I find another stoney, funky plant on par with this one (won’t be too terribly difficult because this one leaves some boxes unchecked) I’ll be replacing her.

Tiger King is from Sunoma Seeds, and it’s: 9lb Hammer x Oaxacan Thai
I have two distinctly different phenos. This one’s bud structure looks like the Oaxacan I grew, and the stem rub has the same odd smell, almost lemony maybe? She started throwing nanners about halfway through flower. Just been plucking them off and letting her rock. We’ll see if she has seeds. Probably not gonna keep her around in general if she’s sprouting nanners and misbehaving like that, she’s taking up valuable space on the roster for no good reason, but imagine if I got rid of all her clones and the bud is like the best I’ve ever had? BEEN THERE, BROTHER.

This one has a more compact bud structure but still a long node spacing so the colas aren’t really filling in, but she’s pretty as hell. I think the temps just got too low (around 62*F) for a stretch and turned her purple, but we’ll see. She seems pretty stable and I think I like her. The bud has an astringent smell when it’s ground up. It’s another one of those profiles that I can’t really nail down yet, but as I get used to her I’ll be able to put it to words.
Coming back after smoking some: it smells like licorice when I grind it up.

38 Likes

Welcome to OG and a very nice garden!

4 Likes

What a great intro to your grow diary.
Looking good in there.

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

Welcome to Overgrow @parttime !!

You’ve come to the right place, but I warn you…
This place has a tendency to change your view and goals over time. :+1: :grin:

I’ll pull up a chair and pack the bong.

Cheers
G

8 Likes

Welcome. Pretty awesome setup you have going on there.

I’ve had a couple plants that show intersex traits the first time around from seed, and then from there on out be almost bulletproof from clone and show no signs at all even with stress.
Something to maybe keep in mind if its really special, run it again and keep an eye on it.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy:

Everything looks great :+1:

2 Likes

Sunoma is a good dude. Have you seen that they are giving away free 5 packs of blueberry abuse? I am also very interested in his gummy punch line

1 Like

Honestly I stopped going on instagram right after I’d gotten the Tiger King seeds from him so I don’t know anything about anything anymore haha. That sounds fun though!

3 Likes

Somebody said something about a party? I’ve got some mushroom chocolates and some hogs legs rolled up. I’ll just be over there melting into the floor watching things that may or may not actually be going on, one can never be certain. Really though, great write up and welcome to OG. I think you’ll like it here :v::seedling::green_heart:

4 Likes

For someone who doesn’t document well, that was a lot of info lol. Plants are looking happy :+1:

3 Likes

Seriously though, this Tiger King plant is looking ridiculous. It’s the stable, colorful, licorice smelling pheno. Unfortunately my timer for my flower tent is kind of fucked so I just have to hope to catch the lights being on some days, and they’re gonna be off all day today. Took these pictures right at lights on, before I went to bed last night.

Only got one of each breaking ground so far, but it’s pretty exciting.

Also put some other seeds in water to soak last night, hopefully they’ll survive so I can grow those out too. I am absolute garbage at keeping plants alive until they have like 2 sets of leaves on them. Should be really exciting shit if they live though. I’ll talk about it more after I see if I’m successful at turning seeds into plants.

It’s exciting to inject some fresh genetics into the tent, and hopefully I’ll find a nice handsome man from each family.

I’m sprouting seeds that aren’t even in the tent yet and I was like “IT’S A SHAME” as I finally had an excuse to jettison this plant and its clones. Mulched and fed to the worms.

I don’t really wanna grow anything that I don’t love, and I need to keep that in mind. Life is too short to grow mediocre plants when you have better options. If I wouldn’t try to breed with it, or gladly share a clone with my friends, then it probably doesn’t have too much of a place in my garden.

6 Likes

Nice grow, I like the coloration in the leaves.

1 Like

This is Tiger King 3.
I was looking at this plant and it seems to smell like Tang powder. I don’t have a problem with that at all haha. I’ve been wanting to smoke some good fruity weed lately. This plant has had some really interesting smells on it throughout flower, and I look forward to getting to harvest and try her. Not ready yet though.

Also after some reflecting, I remembered that I had shortened a day without thinking, and change to the light schedule was probably what made her throw some nanners. That did happen around the same time as a cold snap though, but I think that bonehead move with the timer was probably what did it.

I had two clones of the Tiger King 1 going and cut one of them down the other day. It was juuuust ready at 8 weeks with cloudy trichomes and a couple of amber, but I usually like it more done than that, so I’m letting her counterpart run til I like it, and then I’ll know how like she’s supposed to go. With her long node spacing but still a dense bud structure, I think she’s extremely cool to grow and I think we’re gonna have a good time getting to know each other, because she may be sticking around a while. Also I smelled grape jolly ranchers on my hands after I pulled some fan leaves, which is neat. A lot of really cool smells off these 2 plants, and I’m just so jazzed about it.
Hung the mistletoe early! It’s not actually over the bed but it sure looks like it is.

I’m really looking forward to continuing to grow cool stuff. I lost my excitement for growing for a while, and now it’s back and stronger than ever. I had to find this place to read and post on so I could just be passionate about pot! Very few people in my life know I grow, and I can’t, in good conscience, hold them hostage as I describe growing techniques or talk about plants I want to grow. I just have so little patience for when people punish me to death about something I’m not interested in, so I try so hard to avoid being an energy vampire like that.

Recently. I tracked down and read Bonanza Of Green as a refresher course in growing, and. I was reminded of how much I just loved BOG’s attitude toward growing pot and making seeds, and dispensing information about it freely. Like damn, yeah, I really should F2 everything I grow, and make crosses with things I like, because why wouldn’t I wanna do that?! I’ve never grown out a male so I’ve never done any cool pollen chucks or F2’s, but for a couple of years now I’ve been wanting to, and feel like a complete jag for not just doing it.

For shits and gigs I’m sprouting peanuts and quinoa. I have a pole bean plant starting in there as well.

9 Likes

BOG’s attitudes are role model material, for sure. :+1:

It also reminds me of the art world. An artist’s paintings only become really valuable after the artist is dead. Probably because everyone innately understands that there isn’t going to be any more.
It’s been similar since BOG’s passing, everyone appreciates the strains he has produced but I believe the most important things to preserve and spread are his lessons and attitude.

Cheers
G

7 Likes

I’ve always wished that I was a more kind person, so people like him have always stood out to me as characters to emulate. In my various interests, I’ve found a few people who are just that type of person, where they know a lot and would love to share it and answer questions.

That’s an apt comparison! And I agree that the most valuable part of his legacy was his warmth and knowledge.

3 Likes

The colors on this Tiger King plant are so wild. Looking forward to seeing it grow in warm temps to see how much of this is related to the night time temps (low 60s) and how much is genetics. It’s nuts how dark it is in the first picture, it’s almost black. It actually looks like that!

It seems that I ended up unintentionally staggering my plants being transplanted into the flower tent, and I’m already. So grateful to myself for not making it so I have to deal with 4 plants at once. Probably should have staggered starting seeds, too, but the heart wants what it wants. I anticipate that I’ll be underestimating stretches and end up drowning in plants, and I think that’s totally fine. I feel like I don’t maximize the use of my space anyway so let’s get weird.

11 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 05.24.08

Your soil could maybe use a nitrogen fixer like vetch and some minerals (dandelion, thistle, nettle, tree leaves, … basically anything with deep roots that’s not poisonous).
Didn’t see you mention anything that adds these stuffs.

Thanks for choosing no-till!

4 Likes

That’s a great point! I need to do a seed order sometime and get some stuff in there. I periodically will do some stuff that feels absolutely batshit, but I know it’s a good idea overall. I transplanted a comfrey plant into the bed at one point a year or two ago and had it in there for a while and then let the worms eat it up once it became inconvenient.

Thank you for the suggestions! I actually get most of those growing in my yard every year, so I’ll have to kidnap some of them and make them do my bidding!

2 Likes

It hissed when I opened it, I don’t know what I was thinking stirring it haha

3 Likes

Looks like pancake batter mixed with strawberry juice.

What is it?

4 Likes