Direction for making butter from my nuggets?

Hi All, longtime grower and smoker here. I now have a medical need for edibles instead of smoke.
My question is, if I’m using primo tops and nuggs for my butter, how much weed should I put with 2 sticks of butter to make caramels that won’t be too strong. I just harvested about a LB of Ethos Mandarin Cookie, I’m guessing it’s probably 20-25% THC. I usually take 5-10 mg in an edible, I’m an edible lightweight. I’m probably going to need to increase my dosage for pain and tolerance, but I’d like to start with caramels of 10-15 mg. I purchased a 420 Infusions butter thing and some silicon molds that are 7” x 11” and each hold 126 cubes.
Is it as simple as 126 x 10 = 1260mg
5 g of nuggs at 25% = 1.2g (1250mg) of THC

So by my novice calculations I should use 5 grams of nugget to yield butter with 1250 mg of THC.
Is this correct? Please let me know if this is incorrect, school me!

6 Likes

Someone had about the same question a couple weeks ago.

Linky link

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Good question. I use coconut oil instead of butter for mine. I use bud too. I’ll start at 4oz in a #. If it’s too liquidy, I add more bud. Decarbed always. Sometimes I add kief if I have it.
I make it as strong a I can.

3 Likes

That is exactly how you would do the math. Your only issue is you have no idea the actual thc content and you’re looking for a very low mg so your margin of error will be very small. Entirely possible you end up with something 50% stronger than what you’re looking for. Might wanna make a small batch first and make sure it’s dialed in with your tolerance. I would also grind all my top and low buds together and mix them for a more consistent product. Otherwise again this could really result in inconsistent dosing. :v:

6 Likes

I ve tinkered around for awhile making edibles and such. Use a pound of butter easier to gauge. Also, are you considering not using cheesecloth to separate the greens from the final product? Imo it would taste butter ( pun) :smile: @naptown916 has good points too. I didn’t look at the fore mentioned post in previous reply.

Less is more to start so you can gauge your tolerance too. Smoking and ingesting can be totally different. I like to make bubble hash then butter as I’ve found that to be more powerful but do see medicinal qualities in full plant extractions.

Good luck…ps I cheated and got the Magical Butter machine way back and fwiw always make good stuff. :four_leaf_clover: I don’t decarb my flower in this machine either. Bubble hash yes.

I like to do half Coconut oil and other half Irish Butter.
Makes bomb cookies.

3 Likes

Simple Answer:

Go Here, read this… then send a thank you to @ReikoX!

Seriously, this is the best resource on the subject available.

2 Likes

I find an ounce of bud to 4 sticks of butter, seems to dose us, and few of friends we give them out to, seem like the potency of them.
It is VERY hard to find a sweet spot for different heads, so make a batch and explore.
You will not, know exactly the numbers your dealing with out the buds being analyzed,
All my buds give up something a touch different, when I run them. So I prefer to add as many different types as I have on hand. I also find sugar trim adds something to my butter, as my wife on occasion, will say, "oh this batch is so stoney, or this batch makes me sleepy, or I have an energized feeling, from this one.
I’m NO expert, just been making butter/coconut oil/green dragon, olive oil, (our fav), into stuff as my wife is a cancer survivor, for close to 20 years now. No claims of butter saved her, or anything like that.
We prefer a lower dose rate, as our prime directive was get all her receptors stuffed full of good stuff, with OUT being so faded you miss enjoying your day.
Some prefer to be wiped out, double of triple that bud amount.
Do not forget some Lecithin (we love Sunflower Lecithin) to your extraction, it gets the goodies acting faster after ingestion. I do not think you can over do the SL, but I use around 2 teaspoons to a table spoon, per batch, in the MBM.
You will find your sweet spot.
Also, if you make your butter to potent, simply add a another stick of butter to it, to dilute it down some.
All the best to ya!!

2 Likes