DIY Home repairs

If you cut the black pipe be sure to leave yourself enough pipe on both sides to hold a fernco or other coupling @Nitt

Looking at the pictures, this is custom plumbing. I’d be hesitant to mess with it if it’s not leaking

3 Likes

Yup, ok.
I have done some “plumbing” (only garden, hydroponics type stuff), priming, gluing pvc and abs, etc. But yea, that’s why I haven’t just done it already (well main reason is because of the ridiculous tight space with this pedestal sink).
It’s the actual faucet that’s leaking pretty steadily. I bought a replacement cartridge years ago and just didn’t change it. Figured might as well change the whole faucet at this point.

Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

Pro tip* Whenever you have walls ‘open’ take photos for reference later…pipes, wires…all of it.

4 Likes

For a growers site there is some really good advice here. I’m pleasantly surprised!

3 Likes

A lot of growers are in the trades also. I learned all my knowledge, because I couldn’t call a plumber to my illegal grow. You couldn’t call any tradesmen in, so you learn

6 Likes

I do my own repairs also. It’s too expensive for me to hire anyone else.

4 Likes

That’s a whole other part of the equation :rofl:

3 Likes

If necessity is the mother of invention then desperation is the father of self education regarding fixing things. I’m thankful for youtube and Google in that regard.

4 Likes

I was getting mentally burned out from trying to sort out various phone related things tonight (custom ROM setup, open vpn, etc.) so I thought I’ll go get that faucet thing done now. I’d picked up a basin wrench earlier.

As soon as I turned off the hot and cold supply valves they started to leak. I thought this might happen. I also considered turning off the main water supply (basically instead of the ones for the sink/faucet only, partly so I wouldn’t have to touch these ones - they look corroded and old).
I know where this road leads… try to replace the valves, copper pipe will end up being mangled or some other issue. Which will require some “brazing” of new stuff, or some other bs.
If I had a car, and more time, maybe.

I don’t think a walk will even calm me down now. Punching the air would not be satisfying enough.

2 Likes

Did you try to tighten the packing nut on the valves a little? That’ll usually get them to stop dripping from the valve stem… I’m guessing that’s where they’re leaking from?

4 Likes

This will probably be controversial but I use shark bite valves and connectors. No brazing, quick to install, and removable.

I’m no professional but I always use heat sinks when brazing.

4 Likes

The joys of plumbing…I would use compression angle/straight stops when you replace. Obviously going to need to kill the water hot/cold but no torch needed with compression. Sorry about the luck…let us know how you make out or if I can explain better

2 Likes

Tiny Tim saws are cheap for the old stop removal or I buy a metal hack saw blade and tape a portion with electrical tape to get in there if space is tight.

1 Like

…or have a hose handy…

Shark bites were exactly my thought. They’re expensive, but so much simpler than sweating copper. And no fire hazard.

As for the stops themselves, I prefer 1/4-turn ball stops. A little more expensive than traditional screw stops in initial outlay, I’ve never had to replace a ball stop no matter how old.

5 Likes

Much more efficient/clean to use floor sanders or strip the paint from floors. Rental places have rotary and belt sanders, all with dust collection.Planner blades will be chewed up in no time, you will spend more time sharpening than planning

1 Like

i think that would also be necessity, not desperation. and there is no shame in using shark bites, they work wonders and are great for what they are intended. they do wear out after reuse though despite what they say. it takes more than a few times but they will wear out. the son in law had to replace a few of them last month.

best thing i’ve ever seen for a tight space and one is an oscillating saw. i got one for $20 at a pawn shop last week then paid almost that for a nice blade that cuts nails with the wood. they make metal blades for them which would be perfect for this.

2 Likes

I looked up Tiny Tim saws and they seem extremely useful. A picture for future readers of this thread.

Also, since there is a reference to Tiny Tim the person Tiny Tim’s video is below. The first time he was on Johnny Carson was hilarious because Johnny wasn’t warned what to expect.

Tip toe through the tulips

Johnny Carson show

6 Likes

Thanks for the support guys.

I did not try that. I just looked this up. This short video (LINK) did a great job detailing, but it sounds like if it leaks when you turn the valve off, then it’s the valve stem/valve stem washer.
I’ll have a closer look at this.

Hmm. I never considered them. From memory, the only (or main) issue with them is that you’re not supposed to use them where they’ll be behind a wall (out of sight). Which wouldn’t be the case here. Just saying.

Thanks, man. Those look nice. I have one of these:
09162-milwaukee-hacksaw

I have a “pipe cutter” too, the ones you rotate, tighten, rotate, repeat.

I like ball valves too. Do you mean like this?:

A plumber had to replace some badly corroded copper pipe a couple years ago (kitchen sink) and he transitioned to pex, then crimped this in. (and I just replaced the kitchen faucet a few weeks ago, hence those new braded lines. Second time I’ve replace the kitchen faucet).

You talking about an oscillating multi tool (OSM)? I had the dewalt beast (20V brushless), used it once, sold it. Not ergonomic at all. I want the 12V milwaukee one (the old model, not the “Fuel” model).

Ok, so can you guys tell me what you think of this picture? Does it look like these valves/stops are threaded on, female thread? Does this look like teflon tape, or pipe dope or something?:

4 Likes

Outta likes.

No, those are compression fittings with a brass ferrule that you don’t see. The ferrule sits is on the outside of pipe and under the nut.

That’s teflon tape.

I hates me some stops with plastic handles.

This is the type puller I use. I will never need to replace it. It’s a very serious tool.

I’ve never used one of these, but it looks like a real winner.

41t6PNuXwHL.SL500-721602145

I’ve used pullers that look like a automobile brake puller. Even though they are probably the least expensive of any puller I’ve seen or used, they’re not worth whatever you spend. They simply do not work on a seriously stuck nut/ferrule.

One more thing. Regarding the discussion above about cutting copper pipe in tight spaces, this is the type of tool I use. You can see that it has no tightening nut. It’s self tightening. You have to buy different oners for different size pipe, but you get a nice clean professional cut. IMO, far superior to any saw.

th-162606620

Yes, although I generally prefer angle stops to straight stops. It really depends on the situation. With your pedestal sink and the tight space, I’d go with the straight stops. For a kitchen, bar or bathroom vanity, I’d go with angle stops. They save a little room.

4 Likes