DIY Home repairs

That’s pretty cool!
Seems the land itself could be worth the asking price.

1 Like

I know some of my questions probably have people wondering if I’m half brain dead…but gonna ask this one anyway…lol.

Can I run this small led…12-24v 15w

With this old driver?..20-40v 20w

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

you can but it won’t last long since it’s stronger than it needs to be. you probably don’t want to either, because of the spectrum of light it throws. as for the brain dead part, how else are you gonna find out if you don’t ask? it gets expensive the other way.

edit: i just noticed that it is a self contained unit and probably doesn’t need a driver, it’s inside the case. you need a power inverter to change ac to dc.

1 Like

I’ve got these drivers from an old project. I’m wanting to get my planted fish tank up again and was trying to use those drivers. Most lights I’m using are waterproof 12v, but wanted to see if I could somehow use those old drivers, rather than just throwing them out. Not interested in doing some frankencob light hanging over water…lol.

Thanks much for the help! Will probably just scrap the old drivers and snag a new 12v 100w unit. Feel bad for wasting, as I only ly used those drivers for a few mi ths and they probably have lots of life left in them.

2 Likes

send them to me. i’m building lights and was gonna use old power supplies i have but if you are willing to box them up and drop them off i’ll send you a label.

1 Like

Here’s the specs for that driver:

LED floodlight driver
Input voltage: AC85-265V 50/60Hz
Output voltage: DC20-40V
Power: 20W
Output current: 590-600mA
Power efficiency: >87%
PF: >0.95
Dimension: 1052923mm
2 years warranty
Waterproof IP65
CE compliant

You’d want something like this:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cincon-electronics-co-ltd/TRG1524-A-11E03-VI/9685079

If you go to your local junk store that has a giant bin of wall adaptors like many do, you have a decent chance of finding something compliant there for a few bucks at most.

Meanwell makes these nice little 24v drivers that Baudelaire recommends for smaller Solstrip builds, you’d need four of those lights to use the smallest 60w one, but they come smaller than the HLG line:

You’d want the Meanwell RS-15-24 for something to get wired up yourself, the Digikey link above is for a standard prewired wall wart with a cable terminating in a standard DC power jack. Not sure how you want to use this so either could be the better choice depending:

https://www.amazon.com/RS-15-24-Enclosed-Switching-Supply-0-0-625A/dp/B005T6JY8E

3 Likes

I’ve got 4 of them if you want em…lemme know. I’m in Canada, in case that matters.

1 Like

I learned all this low voltage stuff years ago and now forgot it all…lol.
Just bought some 12v, 15w angel eyes running lights and a 12v, 36w driver.
Am I gonna be okay running this?

36w is second from the bottom.

2 Likes

Carpenter, wood worker, diy guys…
I can’t believe I’m still hunting for this. I’m wondering if there’s some fundamental reason I’m not able to find this / why it isn’t around. A 1/4" hex shank or “quick change” drill bit, in a size around 3/32" to 1/8", that is long enough to go through a 2x4, and into another 2x4 a reasonable distance (maybe an inch into the second 2x4?). I’m talking about something where the actual “drill” bit (not the hex shank) is 2.5" to 2.75".

Is there some actual reason I’m not finding what I’m looking for? Is it that what I’m wanting to do typically isn’t done? Drilling a hole into wood, that needs to be 2.5" to 2.75" (specifically), isn’t a thing?

I’ve looked (online) and called half a dozen places. I ordered three types of bits, only one of which was hex shank - that’s how hard it is to even find something to try, and got them the other day. They’re too short (I knew the length before, obviously). I thought I could insert less into the chuck, but no, not really (round shank I’m referring to here). The 1/4" hex shank one, a bosche, reviews said it was decent length; it’s slightly longer than the “midget” milwaukee one that can’t even make it through one face of a 2x4 (they must be machinist/metal drill bits).

The old one I had, mastercraft, I don’t see the kit anymore (it was small, affordable). I’m not buying $50-100 drill kit for one or two 1/8" and 3/32" drills. Maybe I’ll have to buy a 6" long bit and cut a little off the shank.

1 Like

Outta likes.

I’m guessing a bit like that isn’t made, which, if I’m correct, seems like a fair to midlin’ reason for your difficulty. :wink:

1 Like

https://www.tannerbolt.com/cha-hex28-1-8-1-8-hex28-hex-shank-jobber-drills-135-degree-split-point-heavy-duty-hex-shank-high-speed-steel

3 Likes

I see that’s only 1 1/2

You could buy an adaptor.
It a drill chuck with a hex adapter.
I have one that’s a Makita or just use a drill instead of an impact.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s a winner. “Overall Length 2-5/8”, “Flute Length 1-1/2”.

1 Like

I thought of that, or even a countersink adapter that holds a regular drill (bit) instead. Good suggestion.
Thanks man.

2 Likes

They do make masonry bits in long length with the hex, but the holes made in wood aren’t pretty, but if your going through 2X it might work for you.

2 Likes

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drill-America-1-8-in-Quick-Change-Drill-Bit-with-Hex-Shank-12-Pieces-KFDHEX1-8P12/308686012

1 5/8” of fluting and an overall bit length of 2 3/4

Or one of these and a normal bit like @Dope_Heffalump said

2 Likes

There’s also individual adapter sets to convert a whole set of standard jobber round shank bits, that might be a good long-term solution for cheap and easily available bits:

3 Likes

@Nitt, I don’t remember why exactly you need a hex shank. You probably explained that. Sorry to ask (perhaps) again.

2 Likes

it is because the thin small diameter bits if over the golden ratio will just bend and break kinda like sticking a wet noodle up a wild cats ass everything has a golden ratio its Fibonacci sequence i dont know what it is i just know that it is

2 Likes

Ok, finding a drill with 1/4” hex that long is going to be hard. The length you’re looking for, you need to go from a jobber drill, into aircraft drills, they will be long enough to do what you need.
I use normal 1/8” aircraft bits and drill 3” aluminum tubes with 1/4” wall without issue, a 2x4, no problem.

4 Likes