DIY Home repairs

These things are a lifesaver.

I’ve got all this Dremel shit I’ve never used. Including the dog nail trimmers.

1 Like

I’m not really repairing, but continuing to finish my house.
I have to finish trimming my beams and corners in my dining room and kitchen area ala Craftsmans Style

I am currently running some blackjack oak (red oak) through a planer.
I harvested and chainsaw milled this wood on my parents property in the Ozarks of Arkansas and brought it home to Alaska.
The wood is rather rough with holes left by ambrosia beetles, but I’m hoping this will add character.
Worst case I can fill the holes before I stain.
I’ve just started so I will update once I get some pictures rolling.

4 Likes

Depending upon how you intend to use this wood the bore holes can and will add character. I wouldn’t use it for structure but for trim, tables, and custom panels I think would make a great choice for such wood as well as many other uses. Perfection can be quite boring (pun intended).

1 Like

Woof it’s good stuff but red oak stinks though, definitely dry and seal that stuff up! I remember chopping red oak for cordwood and it’s so pungent

This is very impressive though! Did you truck it back yourself?

2 Likes

That’s one of my wife’s favorite areas. I’ve never been but i’d like to one day.

2 Likes

Yea I need one of these for that

3 Likes

Time is money man. My burner is tape measures and pencils. I have 10 of each because it irritates me to have to look for them.

2 Likes

lol that’s me with some tools- I have four complete sets of metric Allen keys around the house besides folding ones, since I can never find the loose tool I need otherwise. Also have a Ziploc full of Wera PH2 driver bits since those always go missing first while being the most useful. I need to get one of those snap on but holders for my drill, it doesn’t have the built in ones down by the battery I’m used to. Why Mthey did that with the Makita LXT tools I have no idea

2 Likes

When I’m doing heavy industry the first thing I do is build a workbench. Something simple even, like a folding table. Not for working on but so I have a place to put my tools so I don’t spend 3 minutes 40 times a day looking for them. They need a home or I will lose them.

4 Likes

are you familiar with Ron Paulk style of work stations and benches and and i built and use the work bench

Can’t say I am. More of a tool depot than a work bench.

2 Likes

I have gotten the wifes approval. She likes the character.

I literally showered in wood chips yesterday and the only noticeable odor I detected was very similar to some reclaimed hard maple basketball court flooring I ran through the planer years ago.
This stuff is very dry.
Maybe its the species I’m growing or the location it was grown on?

I have a 1 ton cargo van that I was going to ship back up, so I figured I’d load it up.
I brought some nice Yellow pine slabs and Eastern red cedar as well as a 4x6 of some wild persimmon, which is some insanely hard and heavy wood.

It’s a real beautiful area. There’s not much regulation if your into homesteading and living off the land.
Culturally I’m a Notherner, so there is that.
Some things just seem a bit backwards there.

Being from Alaska really made us a curiosity, but someone from say California might have a harder time making friends there, lol.

3 Likes

Yep I totally get what you’re saying. She says Northern NE actually feels like home compared to there.

1 Like

Yea I get that, I like to have everything in either tool drawers or small toolboxes so that I can see all of it. I need to find some old trifold boxes or get a new one like this, looks decent enough for that price:

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-Orange-Cantilever-Toolbox-BAH3149OR/dp/B006XBULUY

I love the old metal boxes that are really simple, I’ve been buying some Toyo boxes from Japan now that they have a US distributor in Connecticut, they make the classic small/mediul tombstone style that is my favorite, and at a pretty reasonable price:

They make a trifold box, but I’ve played with one and it’s a little lightweight for me, their simple boxes are super sturdy but IMO the multifold needed to be thicker stock at that price:

The other end of the spectrum is the Homak which is soooo heavy but will last forever, I would want this as a work table box that didn’t move:

I think the most balanced design I’ve seen for something that would let me satisfy my need to see tools without going to Packout system or something like a tote would be the USAG box, it looks sturdy, simple, classic red, and is under a hundred bucks:

2 Likes

My folks are surrounded by nation forest with no neighbors so it’s a bit remote.
The Sheriff stops by on his way up the road for a cup of joe, uses the facilities and asks questions like have they seen or heard anything suspicious. :grin:
I wouldn’t want to get caught growing weed there.

1 Like

Hard no, would not be worth it. They still call it dope and think it’s like heroine.

2 Likes

I worked a fair amount with red oak. I would characterize it as having its own, fairly strong, odor. I, however, never found it “stinky.”

No shit!

Fuckin’ wow! Love fruit woods!

I’d guess if you were from one of the more rural N. California counties, they’d all become fast friends.

2 Likes

I’ve got some land about 200 miles north in Missouri that I will eventually move to.
It’s not as pretty as Arkansas, but it checks all of the boxes I’m looking for.

1 Like

Got some good neighbors there for sure.

1 Like

My mother doesn’t like the Persimmons near her house, she says they attract the bears, so I cleared this one tree.
Persimmon is related to Ebony and I’ve read very old heartwood will turn black.
My sample is a creamy white

1 Like