DIY Photosynthesis Plus(PSB/PNSB) & Cyanobacteria recipes.

DIY Photosynthesis Plus (PNSB/PSB)

Gal of PSB/PNSB getting Started and an attempt at Cyanobacteria.

PSB/PNSB Recipe:
1 gal POND water
1 egg
1 oz FAA/Fish Emulsion or Fish Hydrolysate

Blend egg(with shell) and fish together and add to gal of pond water. Seal and shake. Place in a location that gets as much sun as possible. Do NOT open but Shake daily at least once. When the water starts turning a rusty red shade you have cultured PNSB. When it turns to a deep crimson red shade you have cultured PSB. Has a 2 year shelf life in a cool dark location if left closed. Once opened shelf life drops to a year.

Cyano Recipe: (Not PHOTO+)
1 gal POND water
1 egg
1/2 tsp Calcium Carbonate (I used a mortar and pestle to powder an egg shell but 1oz of WCA should work as well)

Remove 4 oz of the water and add to the blender. Add the egg and the 1/2 tsp calcium carbonate or 1 oz of WCA. Blend and then add back to the gal. Seal and Shake. Place in a location that gets as much sun as possible. Do NOT open but shake daily at least once. When the water takes on a slight green/blue shade you have cultured Cyanobacteria.

Now while Some strains of Cyano are bad (Responsible for most Blue/Green Algae Blooms) they are Nitrogen Fixing and actually increase soil fertility and water retention.

PNSB Benefits
https://sfamjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1751-7915.13474

Cyanobacteria and Agricultural Crops

PSB/PNSB Application Rates:
Soil Drench - Initial Soil drench at 2oz per gal of irrigation water, each drench after should be done once a month and at 1oz per gal of irrigation water.

Foliar Spray - Initial application and each application afterwords should be at 1oz per gal and only applied once a month. Best not to soak until runoff just a good spray to coat the leaves as much as possible without runoff.

This will help decide when you cultured the bacteria. Their is a slight chance you can culture green sulfur bacteria depending on your water source you can tell by the smell. Cyanobacteria & green sulfur look similar Cyanobacteria smells more like algae green sulfer smells more like photo-plus(smells like poo).

My new batch is comming along.

28 Likes

Thanks for posting this @SillyHippy !

2 Likes

nice, thanks for the info

2 Likes

Awesome, Im anxious to try it.

1 Like

Absolutely no clue what any of this means but now I have something new to learn! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Thanks for this write up. I have been researching photosynthesis plus as a replacement for em1 in my sips. There is very little information that I have found available. Do you see benefits over using em1?

2 Likes

It is a do it yourself Photosynthesis plus. Cyanobacteria is nitrogen fixing it started out as an experiment but it works and I never actually used it outside of the experiment.

3 Likes

EM1 essentially labs and photo plus in one. Em1 has higher levels of labs than photo plus. I personally use homemade labs and Photosynthesis plus in my regimen. The only difference is the different strains Lactobacillus you may culture at home. Em1 is constantly the same strains.

5 Likes

How long does the psnb normally take to Ferment?

It really depends on environment, and how much bacteria is in the sample when you collect your water.

when I need it to culture faster I can use pond water or any water really that doesn’t have chlorine or chloramine and mix in already cultured bacteria, and the process will speed up tremendously depending on how much you mixed in.

when its warmer like 2weeks - a month depending on light and heat. Cooler it has taken me as long as 3 months. Ive found it cultures the fastest under 5000k around 75-80 light with a heating pad under it. Due to fall comming my next batch I started yesterday I put in my tent but during mid summer I put outside.

2 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for posting, I use labs a lot, almost every watering to lower my water ph, are these acidic like labs.

1 Like

Thank you bud! A couple of us over at RIU’s Greens Probiotic thread we’re looking for info on photosynthesis plus vs em1. Does it stink your room up when using? My wife is very accepting of all my projects, but fungus gnats and stink are where she draws the line. Ha! This is very much appreciated!

6 Likes

Ohhh it smells horrible. But its only a once a month application. Ehhh fungas gnats are annoying. I have some right now. I was trying to set up a blumat system b4 my surgery today but I failed dailing it in.

4 Likes

Can you tag me in that thread?

2 Likes

I never phed it but labs can have adverse side effects of using it more than directed it will cause an imbalance and can potentially make it so your Bud’s not to ripen. You can use fish fertilizer for PH down and agsil ph up.

3 Likes

Do you have the same alias on riu?

Nope what’s riu? I thought it was a thread on here lol. Pm me?

I rarely have to PH up unless I add to much labs dont need very much to drop 5 gals to 6.2 from 7 maybe a tablespoon. I cant use fish in the house the cat and dog start trying to break into the tent lol.

1 Like

So my “red bottle” are PNSB? Sweet, never realized that.

Smells like the storm drain the hobos poop in after a rain.

Hey @SillyHippy ,
What do you think of the color on this? It’s never been opened and has been in the garage. Thoughts? Dump and redo?

1 Like