Trinity's First Grow - Organic Lemon Ice

Plan is now to take some cuttings from a couple of them, and get some clones on the go. Figured while we’re at it, a bit of defoliating wouldn’t hurt…

They’re getting bushy! I don’t wana overdo it, so any guidance based on these pics would be appreciated massively.

I’ve done my reading on this contentious subject, so I’m basically none the wiser for all the opinions! Haha!

Tx

10 Likes

I can’t recall are these auto’s or photo period plants? If auto’s you won’t have any success taking cuttings plays are looking GREAT btw!

1 Like

Plants are looking great! Nice and healthy an happy :wink: Personally I wouldn’t worry about defoliating them right now as there isn’t much to take off…If photo’s its better to take cuttings now so 1 node becomes 2 and let that lower growth come up more and really fill in that long node spacing then in a couple weeks (or by the 2nd week of flower) start defoliating to get more air flow

8 Likes

Ya they don’t look like they need any defoliation. I’m pretty conservative about it in veg, I usually only take off leaves that look bad or are blatantly blocking something important.

After a week or so of bud I get more aggressive, anything thats really blocking another bud site, or air flow, gets chucked.

Veg box sounds cool, would love to see a pic. Its always educational to see other people’s building ideas!

7 Likes

They’re photo period plants, not autos, so should be all good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the advise @MomOnTheRun & @beacher

I’ll leave them be for now then, and keep an eye during flowering.

I did a post the other day about my veg box here if you want to see it

Tx

5 Likes

No problem…always learning something new :wink:

3 Likes

We’re at day 49 since seedling, and the canopy’s really filled out.

I’m itching to flip to 12/12, but taking my time and not rushing anything has worked for me so far. I’ll take cuttings right before flipping (I don’t want the clones getting too far along in veg before I’m ready for them in the flower cab, hence I’m holding off til the last minute).

They’re all showing pistils, it’s just that the two I topped first have taken longer to show sex, and their pistils are small and harder to see. I don’t want to flip them too soon, but some of the others are crying out for it, with their big pronounced preflowers.

Tried to get a good picture of the less developed pistils, and this is the best I could get out of my phone…

TO FLIP OR NOT TO FLIP!?

12 Likes

You’ve managed to keep that canopy nice and level. Your girls look super healthy. Just remember that when you flip they will double in size at least maybe even triple. I’ll be watching the outcome when you decide to flip the lights. :popcorn:

6 Likes

Pre-flowers and alternating nodes usually indicates she is ready to flip.:+1::seedling:

7 Likes

Thanks, yeh they seem to be doing really well. I looked in this morning though, and they’re charging upwards. It’s definitely time! @ReikoX thanks for pointing out the alternating nodes as a sign, I didn’t know that was an indication, but I had noticed it on several plants!

So my plan for today is to take a few clones from my two favourites, repot them into 11L pots, then give them a nice long 12 hour snooze to recover. I’m really excited!

Thanks for the advise and support :v:

Tx

7 Likes

Alternating nodes is the indication the plant has reached maturity and is ready to flip to 12/12 :+1:

7 Likes

So I’ve taken six clones (two each from three favourites) and got them in peat pellets in the bottom of the wardrobe under a T5, and sat on a heat mat in their propagator. The light’s on the same 18/6 cycle as the main cabinet’s been working on.

I’ve also repotted my plants, watered them through with a slightly weaker than recommended nute mix with BioBloom added, then topped them up with water until I got a little bit of run-off.

I wanted to get all this done earlier in the day, but life got in the way. So I turned off the CFL only around two hours earlier than it would have gone off normally. Now the 12 hours night is starting 3 hours later than I wanted it to (to make their daylight hours work with mine!). So I’ve set my timer to give them 10 hours of night tonight as a start to shifting the light cycle to where I want it, but hopefully without stressing them out too much, especially since they’ve just been transplanted.

Do I have anything to worry about here? I really don’t want to stress them out and wind up with hermaphrodites or anything.

Tx

6 Likes

Nah you’ll be ok, just keep the cycle consistent from tomorrow on…and no light leaks ever during dark time. It should be 100% pitch black in there. I think you picked a good time those beasts are raring to go!

4 Likes

Cool, cheers. So what I’ve done is once the lights came on, I adjusted the timer’s on time slightly (only half an hour earlier than it came on this morning) which puts me where I want it. It’s now on a 12/12 cycle. As usual they look totally un-phased by anything I do to them, haha.

My cabinet now does the briefcase in Pulp Fiction thing when you open it :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I’m a bit concerned about temps though. I’ve got a 600W HPS about 60cm from the canopy, and I’ve intentionally put it higher than I might have wanted to kinda break them in to the new light after transplanting.

I’ve got two thermometers at the canopy - one standalone digital, and the probe for my Sonoff TH10 which controls my tube heater. You can just about see them both in my previous post. They both suggest it’s kinda high there already, although they differ in their readings by a few degC. The Sonoff says 28-29, and the standalone says 25-26 :thinking: The Sonoff also reads humidity about 8-10% higher. I’ve been working off the standalone unit so far, and everything’s been fine, so maybe the Sonoff’s over-sensitive. It is just one cheap Chinese product vs another though…

I’ve turned my vent fan up to full power (happily had it running at half pace throughout veg)

I guess it’s just a case of keeping an eye on it. I’m not sure what more I can do, maybe another circulation fan over the canopy? I have a feeling it’s gonna be a challenge to keep them safe from burning as they grow upwards. Should be fun…

4 Likes

Here are the six clones I took last night. Some leaves are touching the roof/side of the dome, so maybe I should have cut them a bit shorter… I’ll keep a keen eye and see how much I can shift them around in there to minimise contact. Fingers crossed for those. It’s nice to have my wardrobe in action at last, even if it is just the propagation chamber.

Tx

7 Likes

I had same issues I bought some amazon 67pence digital freezer thermometers in my early days of starting and the battery lasts a while so I had one sat with the canopy and the other sat in the rafters of the tent. I had my hygrometer next to the same place as the canopy and the rafters there was a 3 degree difference in temp but I trust my hygrometer more as it cost more so I go with that I threw the cheap ones out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And bit of advice they don’t like touching the sides/tops of domes bro so you could use something on the edge of the prop to raise the top a little higher than the tops of your cuts :+1: looking really good by the way been watching this since you started and clearly I did something wrong with biobizz so keep up the good work man. :100:

5 Likes

Thanks for confirming my suspicion about the clones. If I prop the lid up though, the humidity will drop. I’m gonna work out a DIY solution right away.

The thermometer I’ve had since the start has served me well this far, so I’m gonna stick with it. The Sonoff is still very useful for automating the heater on at night time (since there’s definitely no need for it in the day now!) but maybe I won’t let it stress me out when I see it creeping towards 30degC…

And thanks for watching along :slight_smile: I’ve just kept the feeding regular and within guidelines, and done whatever I can to keep the environment how they like it. They love the BioBizz grow nutes, I’ve had significant growth spurts in really short spaces of time right after feeding. Hopefully they respond as well with the addition of the bloom nutes, I have a feeling if I can pull this off and keep them healthy, we’re in for a bumper harvest from these babes. Fingers crossed.

5 Likes

Haha my “ghetto” propagator is on my thread I just used some cling film/clear wrap/food wrap stuff to seal the edges but u can do whatever works for you.

I used biobizz in my first ever grow but at that time I was massively misinformed on what I knew or what I thought I knew and I used canna coco with biobizz nutes but I didn’t even use the full line I was told I would only need bloom so I got like 10G a plant off of a 600W HPS, a costly lesson so I soon learned that whatever nute line you’re using it’s always best to stick with their brand so canna has its nute line for coco. Biobizz has promix lightmix etc for the biobizz plantmagic for plantmagic etc etc the list goes on but since I did that I’ve never used biobizz nutes but clearly following the actual feed chart with their dirt works cos your garden is looking nice :+1:

4 Likes