Do it yourself MicroOctopot Auto Fill System

Hi @JOHN1234,

I have great respect for @jetdro and his octo experience, so take that into consideration, but my best results, meaning the quickest time for roots to hit the reservoir have been when I used the turbo-cup method* along with pre-soaking the netcup before transplanting. I then set the reservoir level at its lowest level, barely touching the bottom of the cup.

The idea being to make a damp path straight down from the seedling to the bottom of the res. Your roots will be seeking water and I want them to find it in the bottom, rather than in the soil.

Once I see roots in the reservoir I start edging the water level up to accommodate the growing root mass. As the water level rises, the soil in the pot becomes moist and the upper root system grows out along with it.

My theory, and it’s only that, is that you get one chance to establish the lower reservoir root system. Once the upper soil roots get established, that’s where all the new roots develop. My goal is a balance between the two root systems.

I’m pressed for time right now so if that doesn’t seem clear just ask.
-Grouchy

• TurboCup Method: establishing an empty space in your soil pot before the transplant using a dixie cup or whatever your seedling is growing in. At the time of transplant, you remove the spacer cup and pre-soak the soil at the bottom of the hole so the transplant roots find the path straight down. Done correctly this gets roots to rez pronto, my best was five days from transplant to first roots in the rez.
8 Likes