Does anyone store their flower in the freezer?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

the RH at my place is low (20-30) and i can tell my flowers will be bone dry in another week or 2… I’m wondering if the freezer is viable option to preserve some moisture? I knew someone who stored large amounts in his freezer, although I never asked the reason i assume that’s why…

How do you prevent it from drying out too much… boveda/integra packs? humidor? just a jar?

1 Like

Jars smell proof and dont taint the bud
nice way to cure too.

How are you curing?

1 Like

i mean after it’s cured for long term storage. i have some in bags and some in jars but even the weed in jars is losing moisture, and i really don’t like those humidity packs. well i don’t like integra boost anyways, i guess i could try boveda.

Well I dont know then, I guess if you got so much weed you gotta take it out the jars you aint doin too bad :grin:

Seals on jars ok? Im UK so we never get below 50% and no AC so guess I dont know

old trick with baccy was a bit of lettuce dry with kitchen roll and the moisture will stabilise from one to the other, pretty cheap :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah our humidity outside is high but in the house, <20%. I have 3 humidifiers going and can’t keep them all full.:person_frowning:

2 Likes

Until this year, I have never grown enough for this to be an issue.

With this next grow, I am going to hang onto some of the bud for a long time, but still, vacuum packed in a jar, in a cool dark place will keep the 4 evils largely separated from the buds (Water, Oxygen, Heat, Light).

PS, careful when you remove your buds (or anything else for that matter) from a freeze. Water condenses on cold things. Keep your buds sealed until they achieve room temp. :wink:

6 Likes

I sealed up this house 3 years ago, and it doesn’t breath.

I transplanted 12 plants today and it was like a sauna in here.

Dehumidifier is pulling a gallon of water a day out of the air.

The furnace blower dries everything out. Ours was too tight and we put a ridge vent in to turn air over.

1 Like

You are in some very cold and dry air too. Not fair.

Warm Air Heat? Few good answers for this. They can put a humidifier right into the furnace, but that will cause it to fail sooner because of rust. I am getting tired of fighting with the cold myself.

Hold on tight, it won’t last forever.

Spray water on the trays below the plants. Evaporation brings temporary relief.

:worried:

I have b4 bc of mold issues but not by choice

I have gone thru 3 furnace for rust only, they still ran and 2 furnace humidifiers. And I still run 3 whole house portables. Oh well will soon be running DE-humidifiers.

1 Like

:cry:

Sorry to hear.

99%

Have you looked into Boveda humidity packs? Some say they work well for long term storage.

1 Like

I store my “surplus” mason jars full of buds in the freezer. Keeps 'em nice and potent, but they still seem to oxidize…they turn a browner, rusty color.
They smoke real nice, regardless of appearance!

2 Likes

Put in in a mason jar with a piece of citrus peel.
Remove the peel when you reach desired humidity.
I store mine at 55% RH, and rehydrate to 65-70% to smoke.

I (open air) frost-free freezer cure my bud (after 6-7 days hanging in the tent) for about 2 weeks. RH of Bud upon removal is about 60-62%, I jar the bud & burp 'em till RH is 55-57% (2 days). Then I put the jars in the freezer for long term storage. It takes maybe 2 days at room temp for those wonderful aromas to return to the jars when warmed to room temp (but not opened). I don’t try to re-hydrate, bc the ashes are all a fine,white/grey color when smoked. Once jar RH drops below 55%, the buds can’t or won’t absorb the added moisture, ime. Then the bud is back in the freezer for the long term.

1 Like

i went and picked up 4 jars at dollarama for 2.50 each, they fit 6 - 6.5 oz filled up. hopefully these jars will hold the moisture a bit better, the one on the far right might have a loose seal or something because it wasn’t
they don’t state the volume, but they seemed to be about equal to a tall cylindrical jar which was 1.5L

2 Likes

Harvest looks frosty :snowflake: :+1:
I find those cookie-jar style ones are permeable to moisture/air.
Canning style, *Mason jars with rubber seal and screw-tight lid are the ones for long term storage. They are like $10/dozen at any grocery or hardware store. *I like the wide-mouth.

2 Likes

I personally wouldn’t use only glass jars for long term storage. They do slowly but surely dry out. I remember the last time I moved, I had forgotten I’d hidden a QP in 2 mason jars and put them in a zip compartment under some chair I had. Anyways when the time came to actually move the chair, when I tried to pick it up I heard clanking of glass so I open it up and find a bunch of weed from months ago. I know it was sticky and dank when I put it in, it was now super dry and dusty, smoke was nowhere near as good as it was just a few months before. Maybe get a cheap hygrometer that fits in whatever storage container to make sure. There is a possibility that my lids could have been old or damaged.

I have heard of people vac sealing weed in jars for long term and when they open it every strain had the same weird smell which I could only attribute to something like anaerobic bacteria. I doubt this would happen every time but just the possibility would make me want to go another route. I couldn’t imagine saving something for so long only to open it and not want it.

The longest I’ve successfully stored bud is around 6 months in a c vault with Boveda 62 packs. the bud was still moist and sticky but it had started to oxidize. I’m thinking about trying to put in a few desiccant packs to see if that would stop or reduce the aging process. I also heard that relative humidity below that level (too dry) halts the curing process so I’d try to keep it in the range of 60-64%.

You could probably get away with using a combination of jars and a 62% pack. I’d imagine one or a few would counteract the possible slow moisture loss though the lid. Id put those jars maybe in a thick black plastic bag for the light and store somewhere cool.

I personally haven’t tried vac sealing in a bag and freezing it but I’d be interested to know if it works. Maybe it’s time for an experiment. I’d be worried about freezer burn though for long term.

Well for sure, this is a much documented subject.

https://www.speedweed.com/2017/03/22/best-practices-for-cannabis-storage/

Here is a vendor on the trail…This last link specifically advises to NOT store buds in the freezer!

https://cannador.com/learn/weed-storage

1 Like