Does flushing cause black ash?

Agree with the people that say it’s about feed, but alsooooo my thoughts on black ash is that it wasn’t cured long enough, but also if your tongue goes numb it may be fertz, but also …there’s many reasons black ash occurs

3 Likes

If I remember in a week I’ll show you guys what a joint of 9,000+ ppm in hydro looks like :joy: should be a good comparison, guess my fuck up wasn’t for naught! Guess I could off this part but the rest of the plant is drying, this is almost to the point of curing

5 Likes

ooo now there’s a smoke test I’m really curious about!!! Do you have any other clones of the same plant you grew out to compare ash color with?

3 Likes

Can definitely say it’s not smooth lol and has darker ash for sure. Hydro grown 9000+ ppm for 1+ month fuckup.

4 Likes

ooo now that’s interesting! I was only doing that test at 1/3 that dose. Thanks for those details, it really gets me thinkin’.

2 Likes

My guess is your dry needs dialed in. I’ve never flushed in hydro and all my ash comes out really clean. If it smokes good and tastes good though I wouldn’t worry to much. Almost all the good commercial around here burns dark but still smokes good.

Found this after yall peaked my curiosity on this though and it confirms my don’t worry about it to much idea.

2 Likes

The same 9000 ppm white walker and wax made from it’s trim

4 Likes

How’s it tasting?

1 Like

Taste is phenomenal though it seems like when I was smoking bowls some nugs were way harsher than others.

I also didn’t do my usual bucket rinse to get gnats or any other insects, foliar sprays, organic insecticides off like is my normal routine cause I was strapped for time, so that could attribute to the random harshness

3 Likes

Flushing is a myth i think unless you’re doing deep water you can flush the last day or something but that’s for salts.
I dont consider watering ro in soil with high organics in 2 weeks flushing.
You can feed many organic or natural npk derivatives that aren’t salts so the plant takes what it wants you should never starve it. I,e light organic or natural npk from 0 salt nutes like aminos for n or citrates.
edit i think i even mentioned a myth nothing is 0 salt nute? Anywho it seems there a salt index. Too late 4 me to read now Avoiding salt injury from nitrogen fertilizers in orchards - MSU Extension

Moist or dry uncured bud makes mine cakier and black.

2 Likes

I’ve fed up until the last week and flush two-three days before chop and it was white ash. I usually flushed in between feedings ph’d to 6.3-6.5 every time while checking run off ph. The buds were also dried to 10% RH right after chop and stored at 3-5% RH for the low RH cure. Ended up being some of the best tasting and strongest flower I had ever had Cannabiotix couldn’t hold a candle to it.

had white ash on no flush with bloom boosters and had black ash with 3 week flush. had black ash from dry bud, had black ash from wet bud.

I can’t say i had white ash from wet bud. so, that might still be a fact, but isn’t the only one.

i have one strain that always smokes to white ash and i tried a various lengths of curing on the same cut. and, i varied the flush from 0 to 14 days.

1 Like

I find the ultra thin elements papers to be a good test of the color, bowls not as much just based on how i pack them maybe.

No flushing…SWC hydro…

Smoke reports werent the only evidence,. They also did chemical analysis.

5 Likes

This is very interesting. I never flush anything but this data leads me to conclude the plants don’t do much in the final weeks either way. Seems I might have been wrong about flushing costing yield. Or that it does anything at all. A lot of the minor difference could be chalked up to margin of error.

Heck. Might as well flush and save a buck on nutrients I guess.

3 Likes

Same here lol

I’m in the no flush camp myself. When I started using coco they told me to flush. I followed the guidance and flushed for 2 weeks. The plant ate itself….had no smell, weight horrible harvest. Last time I ever flushed. I prefer lower feeding rates all the time

4 Likes

In my experience nutes can be a factor.
To many , crappy burn.
Not saying this is the deal here.
Someone noted it may not be
Quite dry enough.
Might be that to.
I to never flush per say
Just quit the nutes except cha ching
FF nutes up till harvest.

2 Likes

This was a plant that was at 9000 ppm on TDS meter in hydro for its whole life, no flush, with wax on the joint too a232274aaab115797eeb66d01745b9eb4ca9779e_2_375x500

2 Likes