DogScratcher's Wide Open Outdoor Grow

I too plan to run some autos outdoors. They will thrive im pretty sure. As for your hole i would stick to singles per hole. As said above maybe put 2 seeds in each hole and cull the weaker one. Dont plant too close together. Space your holes away from each other. Single plant is harder to identify than a patch of them. Im no pro ive lost most my outdoor crops to either police or thieves. I Wish you a good healthy grow. I like to start em in a spot i control to get them past the being savaged stage. Real lil ones tend to get eaten by bugs or animals outside. Once they hit a foot or so. Less likely to be killed by the wild. Im just north in md. Hard to get a spot here where it isnt highly travelled.

If your looking to put your plants outside before the cold spell is over, make sure it’s covered, and implement the “gas lantern method”.

What is the best thing to cover your plants with? And wow I’ve never heard of that method but I’m about to Google it.

1 Like

Also, could I use citrus peelings around my topsoil to act as a natural repellent? Is that logical considering bugs don’t like the smell of citrus? I really want to incorporate oranges in my grow.

Depending on how big they are, you can put a clear storage bin on top of it with a couple bricks to weigh it down.

If your plants are too big you can make a mini greenhouse with pvc pipe and poly.

that could bring a whole bunch of other issues down the line when it decides to rot.

you can use Diatomaceous Earth or DE to coat the top of the soil, but it’ll be washed away after every water or rain. But it can also give you a silica boost being washed into the soil.

Another option is neem oil applied near the base of the plant. I don’t know how often that needs to be applied, should say on the bottle.

I don’t think bugs will be your biggest issue, what you will need to worry about is the animals, they love chewing on the plants. I had a 6-foot plant just starting to flower once that a deer ate down to the main stem.

1 Like

Of course, this depends on a number of factors, including strain, medium, nutes, light (PAR value), air (CO2), water quality, etc. That said, your plant(s) should continue to veg grow for some time before flowering kicks in.

I suggest you read through @gramps thread on his outdoor grows to see what’s possible for you:

1 Like

Ok great thank you

1 Like

Ah man that sucks, I definitely have a bunch of deer in my area too. Do you have a way of countering deer? Netting?

Guns.

3 Likes

Lol I’m gonna be chasin varmin away from my watering hole. With all seriousness though im so excited to learn about things, particularly Mycorrhizae. I think that’s pretty cool how the fungi seeks out additional nutrients the plant needs from resources in the ground around the plant. Also, any tips on weeding? Do weeds always grow on the surface or can they be below the topsoil a ways?

If you can, I think it’s best to veg indoor, then flip to 12/12 for a week before throwing the plant outside late July. This will help with pests and still allow the plant yield well.

1 Like

A 3 month veg inside, plant will be 4 feet high.

1 Like

That depends on lights, cultivar, feeding schedule, and several other factors. Plants can be grown inside at any time. If you want a smaller plant, start veg later. No one is saying you must veg for three months.

1 Like

grow tent ready! Im going to go ahead and pop 2 autoflowers in here while I wait for that OG kush to come in. Getting my seed starting mix moistened, it’s game time at 12pm tomorrow! Im putting them on an 18-6 light schedule. 4PM-10am on, 10am-4PM off.

2 Likes

Plant stinging neddles they seem to have worked in the past we have deer all over,…

2 Likes

That’s a great idea because I know for a fact I have a family of deer in my backwoods. That and rabbits but I got my gate flush to the ground pretty snug.

2 Likes

It works. 20 char

2 Likes

6 days since the dunk and transfer to permanent pot outside. This is Mint Mac auto. OG Kush seeds just came in too, they were dunked at 12pm today so I’ll put them in seed starters, where they’ll grow in my tent in my room.

1 Like

my OG seeds came in and I have the one im transplanting into the ground in a starter soil cup in my tent. I just put it in there this morning. This seed never saw the tent, 1 week old.

1 Like

Hey everyone, everything is going great so far. The babies in the tent are still seedlings but they’re progressing pretty quickly. I made this thread about 11 days ago, and here’s what’s up. My seedlings are coming along. One of them has a super dark stem which I find pretty sweet. Running 24/7 lights.

3 Likes