DogScratcher's Wide Open Outdoor Grow

Hello all, I recently filled a hole about 3 feet deep with Virginia dirt(free), Foxfarms Ocean Soil and Happy Frog potting mix. I’m thinking that with the Mycorrhizae in the soil, it’ll grow better plants in ground as opposed to using pots and having Mycorrhizae and not using it.

I plan on putting OG Kush feminized seeds from DNA genetics in the ground. my only concern is the sunlight. The spot I’ve chosen seems to get a direct beam of sunlight from 8am to about sundown, then the sun moves away a bit.

With the hole I’ve chosen, should I plant multiple seeds here or just focus on 1 tree?

14 Likes

If you are planting before determining sex, I’d plant 3 or 4 and zap all but the best lady later.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

They are planting a FEM :rofl: Do may be 2 to be sure

3 Likes

Everyone knows that we get more light every day from the beginning of winter until the beginning of summer, but the amount of light isn’t the only thing that changes. If you were to take a photo of the sun at the same time from the same location every day and superimposed those pics over each other, it would create a figure 8 diagram (called an “analemma”). The point is, the sun will continue to “rise” higher in the sky until the the summer solstice, and the way the light hits your grow area will not be the same throughout the growing season.

Based on the amount of light you’re currently getting, you should be fine.

FYI: This is an analemma:

Fun fact, I went to school with a girl who loved anal, and her name was Emma (:face_with_hand_over_mouth:).

11 Likes

@Dogscratcher420 make sure your night temp is at least 50 degrees before you put them outside. Up in Maine (where I live), usually that’s around last week of May, first week of June.

Also, if you start your veg indoors, make sure you don’t just yank the plants inside and plop them in the dirt, give them a couple days of being outside during the day and inside at night.

This will allow it to harden off a bit so its not shocked from transplanting AND being a whole new envioment.

You want the plants in the ground NO LATER than the summer solstice. Some people can get them in the ground on mothers day.

That date should be easily achievable in any part of country.

Also, depending on your location in the country, you want to pull around winter solstice.

That date is unachievable here in Maine because around end of Sept, beginning of Oct we get hit with low 60, upper 50 nights with high humidity, and your always fighting off budrot.

Usually we try to fight it off until it gets too bad then we chop, usually depending on weather and temp, could be anywhere in October maybe beginning November.

I’ve been growing outside off and on from 13 years old.
Probably got around 15 outdoor harvests, from bucket grows, to in ground. Not a pro by any means.

This was passed down to me by a (now deceased) Vietnam vet, who told me when to plant outside and a few tips and tricks.

Get some cow manure and top coat the soil, all I’ll say.

3 Likes

Wow this is exactly what I was looking for. I live in Virginia and we’ve been having cold fronts. I’m still waiting for these Photoperiods to arrive but I’m going to have them in a closet grow tent with reflective insides, they’ll be comfy. I’m also using a 1000w white LED light that im hanging up in the tent.

3 Likes

Yo, Bro, you must live in “Southern Maine”!!! Up here in The County, I’ll have mid-40s until JULY…lol!!! Right now (4:52 AM, 28 Degrees/F). Enjoy the “Florida Sunshine”, said with deserved jealousy. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Got her number??? lol SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Would it be a waste of time if I planted a few autos in the ground too? To anyone, how do you feel about planting autos in the ground and why?

1 Like

Wow ok that makes me feel so much better about the lighting because the area in general gets a lot of sun. My only question now is that NASC is saying my seeds won’t be here until May 8th😪 so, would the time from May 9th to May 27th be enough time to generate a decent amount of foliage before putting them in the ground? I’ll have my light running 24/7 during that time in my tent.

1 Like

Damnnnnn in Virginia we literally 2 days ago just started getting nights in the mid 50s but before that it was chilly nights.

Ok yeah, sorry I’m just seeing this I work nights but cow manure shouldn’t be a problem. I could probably get goat poop too. I can get a lot of shit. Lol. Poop jokes. OH, I was watching Bruce Bugbee and he said to water your plants with nutrients every time, every 3 days or by lifting the pot. That doesn’t pertain to veg stage, right?

1 Like

Nothing “wrong” with growing Autos in the ground!!! THAT’S where they grow naturally. Just make sure the soil temperature is ok. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I too plan to run some autos outdoors. They will thrive im pretty sure. As for your hole i would stick to singles per hole. As said above maybe put 2 seeds in each hole and cull the weaker one. Dont plant too close together. Space your holes away from each other. Single plant is harder to identify than a patch of them. Im no pro ive lost most my outdoor crops to either police or thieves. I Wish you a good healthy grow. I like to start em in a spot i control to get them past the being savaged stage. Real lil ones tend to get eaten by bugs or animals outside. Once they hit a foot or so. Less likely to be killed by the wild. Im just north in md. Hard to get a spot here where it isnt highly travelled.

If your looking to put your plants outside before the cold spell is over, make sure it’s covered, and implement the “gas lantern method”.

What is the best thing to cover your plants with? And wow I’ve never heard of that method but I’m about to Google it.

1 Like

Also, could I use citrus peelings around my topsoil to act as a natural repellent? Is that logical considering bugs don’t like the smell of citrus? I really want to incorporate oranges in my grow.

Depending on how big they are, you can put a clear storage bin on top of it with a couple bricks to weigh it down.

If your plants are too big you can make a mini greenhouse with pvc pipe and poly.

that could bring a whole bunch of other issues down the line when it decides to rot.

you can use Diatomaceous Earth or DE to coat the top of the soil, but it’ll be washed away after every water or rain. But it can also give you a silica boost being washed into the soil.

Another option is neem oil applied near the base of the plant. I don’t know how often that needs to be applied, should say on the bottle.

I don’t think bugs will be your biggest issue, what you will need to worry about is the animals, they love chewing on the plants. I had a 6-foot plant just starting to flower once that a deer ate down to the main stem.

1 Like

Of course, this depends on a number of factors, including strain, medium, nutes, light (PAR value), air (CO2), water quality, etc. That said, your plant(s) should continue to veg grow for some time before flowering kicks in.

I suggest you read through @gramps thread on his outdoor grows to see what’s possible for you:

1 Like

Ok great thank you

1 Like