Rhuin's First Grow

Evening everyone!

I just popped up recently with a chance to finally have my own setup. Lots of good advice shared my way with my first thread over at Long timer time lurker, first time poster - setup

Now, I’m ready to start documenting the journey and get my hands dirty, pun intended.

So been trying to figure out the layout in the basement given it is only roughed in and the outlets at central. Only one window (small egress) so not a lot of light to worry about though we’ll be covering it over anyway.

So the old lady gave the go ahead and actually helped put the tent together. Opted for a 4x4x6 Growneer which is actually a lot less obnoxious in the space than I thought.

Poles went together easily - directions were easy to follow:

It did take both of us (my wife and I) to comfortably get the canvas over and secured without the risk of puncture. The material is heavy enough I wasn’t really worried about the canvas but didn’t want to rip the shiny innards.

Of course we had some help by the real “boss” around here who looks as excited as we are with the beginnings of a hopefully enlightening journey.

Lots of pieces together now but waiting for the lights to arrive before locking down the positioning. Have a 6" inline with carbon filter for the tent but want to figure out the mounting before committing.

Nothing else in the basement so not super worried about smell but did grab a Levoit Air Purifier with carbon scrubber on Lightning Deal (amazon) for $76 today. Will put that at the entrance to the stairs leading up to the house. Probably not big enough to make a huge difference but we’ll be running it in the bedroom while fire season is still putting up the plumes.

Any other tips for smell if it starts becoming an issue?

Anyway, will slowly update on progress as we get closer to germing but wanted to take the plunge and get a spot for my musings going.

Hope you all will stick around and help a fellow out as I get this first grow under my belt.

Cheers!

10 Likes

If your smell is a problem the only thing you can do really is add a carbon filter to the extraction fan to scrub the air. Nice big space to be growing in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Smell isn’t really a issue till mid flower. Not like you’ve got a giant tent. Also strain selection has a huge effect on smell. Lots of strain’s are easy on the nose.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’ll be an issue, the house is pretty air tight. We made butter last night and could only smell it on the main floor, not the basement or upstairs so that’s encouraging.

I’ve used this in the past and it’s pretty strong smelling stuff, lasts for about 2 months, the trick is to half cover it or it will dry out quickly.

1 Like

So this isn’t part of my “official first grow”. While we were getting organized with ordering supplies and such, my wife found two bag seeds in her dispensary flower. I thought it odd that commercial bud would have seeds and was skeptical about their viability but she wanted to pop them (she wanted them as house plants so I had to explain how that might be difficult…). Anyway, we went oldschool and threw them in some paper towel. Wouldn’t you know it, the damn things germed.

Anyway, we put 'em in a couple pots we had laying around from transplants of the household kind and I mixed up some Fox Farms soil with perlite (Happy Frog mix). Well the little buggers started growing on the back deck so I made up some bloodmeal, bonemeal, worm casting tea and added a bit of seaweed juice just to give them a little boost.

Well the little fellas loved that and now nearing the end of week 2 from seed we have them on the right. On the left is a bagseed baby from a seed that came in a stash from a friend of a friend. Wifey wanted to try that one too and I’ll be damned it popped too.

I am pretty sure it is too late to finish them outdoors so now she wants to bring them in when the Solstrips come in (last piece of the grow). Throws a wrench in my plans - I wanted to grow some Super Lemon Haze, Cream Cookies, Purple Punch and Rhino Ryder… now I think I have to take these mystery sprouts as far as I can given how attached my better half is.

On the plus side, she’s becoming very interested in all this and wants to be my helper! We don’t know what these are - will be looking for help identifying.

Thanks for stopping in!

3 Likes

So update - wifey remembered that these are almost certainly Snoop Dogg OG sold on sale because it was seedy…

Seedy is right when a dispensary is selling fertilized bud.

1 Like

Unfortunately most bag seed is from hermaphrodite plants and may carry that gene and do the same thing when you flower them out.

When are you getting the tent they may start to flower if left outside, people around here with outside plants are just starting to bud up. So if you can keep them above 15hours of light they should stay in veg mode.

They look nice and healthy, hopefully they may have been pollinated by a missed male plant and not a hermie.

3 Likes

They’re still at or above 15 hours. Everything is on hand except the lights which should be coming any time now thanks to @baudelaire and the solstrips gang.

Not married to them by any stretch seeing as all the other seeds I have on hand ready to go but if they were happy healthy non-herm then would considered taking them full term.

Thanks for the advice!

So they keep on chugging along. Looking alright for now. Seedling popped and drop its helmet too.

Sorry for the angles, snapped quick shots while the dog was chasing some quail at the other end of a lead line haha.

3 Likes

So been a while and I’d thought I’d just throw the last couple weeks together in a quick update.

First the outdoor misfits are still growing with minimal attention. I doubt they will actually finish but it has been fun having them out there to keep me company on my smoke breaks. This from a week ago:

and then earlier tonight:

So we’re pretty sure it is either Snoop Dogg OG or God’s Cloud but we’ll likely never know. Will need some help sexing them though as I’m not sure I can accurately identify at early stages. I’ll get some close ups tomorrow.

1 Like

So the Solsheets arrived - packaged well. They’ve been tested and hung in the tent though we’re still organizing and I don’t have any pics of the setup. I’m off tomorrow and am hoping to finally pull it all together.

2 Likes

Finally I’ve been busy getting my KNF formulas ready.

Some IMO1 after collecting and letting it do its thing.

Some FPJ getting started - trying something with new seed sprouts (like the counter-top stuff you’d eat only I didn’t germ them for us) with more established greens to capture the early growth hormones to see if that helps as a seed starter. I have a couple trays of the same sprouts in soil I’m experimenting with:

Soil on the left is Happy Frog by Smart Naturals. Soil on the right is the organic stuff the local nursery supposedly sells to the local producers. I’ll be harvesting the tops for a veg focused FPJ and then the Happy Frog bottom will go into the “Soil Cauldron” where I’ve got a batch “cooking” to give it a bit of plant matter for the friendlies to nibble on and provide aeration until I plant while the other stuff is going under some barberry bushes. The mix will be a blend of Happy Frog and Ocean Forest with my amendments (more on that in the future).

Also did some homemade water-soluble calcium phosphate and water-soluble calcium (the egg shells)

filtered them all and ready for storage.

Working on the fish amino acids, FFJ and OHN tomorrow as well. I’m going to be testing some underripe fruit vs. ripe/over ripe for the FPJ to see if it makes that much of difference early vs. late flower.

So much to try but I’m looking forward to using some of the old school stuff on cannabis and not just veggies and ornamentals.

That’s it for now - will look to get more regular posts up once the space is finished and we’re ready to pop some beans.

Peace and puffs for now.

Cheers

6 Likes