Dry & Curing Science

Really two totally different numbers there. When curing your vpd target would be far different than when flowering.

1 Like

Which vpd chart do people follow for curing?

1 Like

the target would be whatever it looks like at 60/60 somewhere around 0.65 as a wag.

edit- chart shows at around 0.7 for 60/60

So vpd is basically irrelevant then?..just do 60/60?

anyone ever seen or used this (automated) system for curing?

3 Likes

Yup there are a few in this forum that use autoburping systems…

6 Likes

That top line in the graph does a good job of showing how if you jar too early, the RH creeps back up fast in the jar and you’ll be burping all the time or have musty weed. If you leave it a full seven days like the last graph, you can see how that top line gently arcs up over a few days, meaning you can burp daily for a week and then every two for another week or two and be done. No need to be burping jars twice a day for weeks like people experience jarring early.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that info. I find that the wispy landrace sativas dry real fast relative to the fuller flower - what do you propose is the best way to measure current/present RH of flower if you don’t have a baseline (original wet weight?)?

1 Like

Seal it up in a bin with a mini hygrometer visible through the side, wait 3-6 hours and see if it goes up. If it goes up more than 1% open it back up for another 3-6 hours and repeat, until it’s holding at the RH you want

4 Likes

All 3 probes are in my drying/curing bin. Am I at risk of mold with these readings (top 3).
Temps are between 16-18c and humidity between 60-65%

5 Likes

As i understand it, to reduce mold chances its important to lower the RH as much as you can (i can go as low as 30%) during the first 24h (its better if you can measure water activity until it hits 50%).

Then 60% for a week + or so should be ok, higher than that not so much.

If theyre all in jars already, then 63% is nearing the limit. I tey to keep em at 59-60% in jars.

5 Likes

I agree with @the_bot, 59-60 RH is safe if not optimum. I’ve had jarred weed get moldy at 63% RH. Not good.

5 Likes

Looks beautiful to me! Nice numbers IMO

2 Likes

I like 58% for room temp (65-70F) curing or 62% for in the weed fridge at 40F

I find these useful:

https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/conservation-preservation-publications/technical-bulletins/mould-prevention-collection-recovery.html

8 Likes

Do you have a fan in the room?

1 Like

Everything is in a tote…but I open it and fan it often when rh gets too high.
Looks like this…you can see the 3 probes between the bags.

7 Likes

That’s how I do whole plants just like that, a tote, an RH meter taped to the side, and fan it for 15 seconds twice a day until its stable

1 Like

I jist went through each bag and smelled and eyeballed and everything looks good. Found a few bags that were still kinda wet…so pulled them and letting then air from a while.
Will see if rh can hold steady at desire levels.

Rise, fall or stable…let’s see.

6 Likes

A peel from a potato works well also.

Agreed, Cuban cigars for reference are best aged at between 60-65%, I keep mine at 62%, some are 20 years old and I have never had any mould on them.
In a perfect world, I would dry my plants in a dry cold room. Heat and excessive humidity are definitely the enemy of tasty weed.

2 Likes

I’ve never dried refrigerated.

Fructification is a word we don’t see often. I like it a lot. :+1:

Thank you so much for those charts!

4 Likes