Dry Ice Hash

So I stumbled across an article about making either bubble or dry ice hash and I thought I would give the dry ice method a go.
I took two ounces of some old White Widow I had in a jar to test. I purchased 2 pounds of dry ice at he supermarket, broke it up a bit with a hammer. Wear oven mitts or heavy gloves when handling dry ice. Put the dry ice in a clean and dry 5 gallon bucket and poured the herb on top. Set a timer for 3 minutes and began to agitate, rocking the bucket back and forth. So the article suggested having a 2’ x 2’ piece of plexiglass cleaned and ready to go on a flat surface. I used two sheets of parchment paper overlapped and on the counter. Slide your bubble bag over the top of the bucket, you will pour the bucket contents into your bag, and flip the bucket over. Ice and herb will fall into the bag. Be sure to this over your working surface. Start shaking the bag a couple of inches over your work surface. Watch the goodness falling out. Two to three minutes is good. Dump the bag back into the bucket, get your next bag on, flip over, repeat. I used the 73 micron first followed by the 120 micron bag. This took approximately 20 minutes to accomplish.

Here are my results: 73 micron 3.65 grams, 120 micron 7.45 grams. The 73 is much more blonde than the 120. Enjoy!

22 Likes

I do that all the time. Its good stuff, great for baking. The 73 micron screen gets you the purest Kief after that the screens start to get plant matter into the mix.

1 Like

So you start fine and go to course bags this method, right? I just got some bubble bags, gonna have to try this!

Yes, start with the 73 then work your way up.

2 Likes

Also keep in mind you do not need a lot of dry ice to do this. I can do off 2 ounces with less than 1 pound of dry ice. I throw more out then I use.

3 Likes

How do you think the end products in dry ice vs regular ice hash differ? I’ve been curious to try dry ice as I’ve read it’s a better yield, but had been told that the quality isn’t as nice. This is inspiring me to try it out for myself the next time I make hash.

1 Like

They both have pros and cons. With dry ice you can smoke it right away but does not have the same flavor as water ice. With water ice you have to let it dry for a few days but has some really good flavor.

4 Likes

The article stated some testers preferred the water hash as it seemed to be more potent and that they felt the water added something the dry ice hash didn’t. The yield was better with the dry ice and missed something when compared to the ice water method. Again this is subjective to the individual users. Here is the article, https://www.growweedeasy.com/bubble-hash-vs-dry-ice-hash :v:

4 Likes

I’ve made both and they both have their place. Dry Ice is less work for sure but you have to make sure you don’t shake too much if you wan to keep the plant matter out.

5 Likes

I think this is the article that had me sticking with the water method. I’ll be curious to hear your smoke report, and see if you agree. By the way, great work, your hash looks delicious.

1 Like

Interesting post Tejas, glad you are enjoying solventless extraction! One thing to note in response to the article you posted is while dry ice yields are often bigger by weight, they do include trichome stalks and other material that does not increase the measurable potency of the concentrate/extraction. The stalks/tails and pistils of cannabis flowers slip through even the finest of meshes, especially if this is the only barrier between flowers and mesh - as it tends to be with Dry Ice extraction. This means yes you will get more mass to your extraction with dry versus bubble yields and vise versa but the quantitative quality of yeilds are not as closely related as this article would lead us all to believe. TBH most folks making hash at their house every once in a while or not very often would never notice a difference if any real differences in quality, more so just be happy they made hash! From my perspective, the article provided was more of an exploratory thing for the author judging by the perceived quality of the resulting end products. I also believe that in order for something to be a known truth and disseminated as such that it has to be repeatable and quantitative - this is where the article fell quite short for me. Not every plant will perform better in Dry Ice versus Bubble Hash and without lab testing the results and going just on yields in terms of weight can generally be very misleading in most extraction processes.

I will post up some poorly captured microscope via smartphone pictures in the solventless extraction thread the next time I am making some hash to help better illustrate this point.

Now go enjoy that smoke and give us a smoke report!

6 Likes

I love me some dry ice sift. I don’t think I’d ever bother making bubble hash again as long as dry ice is easily available and my hot plates work.

I usually sift with only the 160 micron bag from the get go, 3min and done.

Press the sift in 25 micron bags for rosin, and use the leftover hash pucks for edibles.

Easy peasy :yum:

7 Likes

I will have to try this as I am missing this :slight_smile:

thanks for putting this up

Dequilo

1 Like

This was a down and dirty approach for me to give it a try. And I am a newbie to making any type of hash :grimacing:. Next I will try the bubble hash method to see how it goes. I will get my wireless microscope to look at what is actually in the 73 and 120 micron groups. As for the article that I posted if someone was interested where I got the information. It’s all a learning process. :v:

2 Likes

Oh no judgment at all brother, great pull for your first try!! My comments were directed towards the article alone.

I can say from experience that nearly ALL clean hash, keif, bubble and dry ices hash are all blond/khaki/camel tan when fresh unless working with inputs high in Anthocyanins (what turns plants purple) which can leach into the trichomes, working with old inputs (over-ripened trichomes that are naturally oxidizing in the curing process), or contaminants in the forms of pistils, veg matter, lipids, chlorophyll etc otherwise they should be nearly or very white/tan. This was also something that was missed in the article, an experienced extractor would have refined both of the products to get closer to an actual yield by floating off contaminants in water, then drying the product- or screening the product.

Edit: Added screening/sifting/micro planing whatever you want to call it to the mix of ways to clean kief, bubble, and ice hash of contaminants including tails/stalks

1 Like

This was as old weed, +10, the dry ice turned it to dust essentially. This old and it is a pleasant buzz a nice mix of body and mind. I got my scope out and there is quite a bit of plant matter mixed in. I am looking forward to trying this with fresh bud.

1 Like

Old weed, new weed, dry ice turns it all to dust. I was told in the past…not sure if its true or not but if your growing a strain with thc and cbd and do dry ice kief with it everything that did not pass through the screen is full of cbd since the tri`s are thc. You then take that and make cbd edibles.

2 Likes

I would say nothing is that black and grey. The picture below shows dry ice hash that has separated properly and the inputs were within the window for good extraction. Put bone dry inputs in and expecting anything else is ridiculous but having something within a useable humidity to begin with is a sure way to avoid “dusting” your flower/trim or shake in dry ice method.

5 Likes

My hydro shop sell me 10lbs of dry ice for 10 bucks
This is my first go i wish i used the 73 micron bag instead of the 120

I start at one end of the table and work my way to the other end the beginning being the better quality and in the end you get more plant material.
:dash::dash::v::sunglasses:

7 Likes

$20/kilo here on the west coast of Canadia :grimacing: $10/poundish in freedom units

1 Like