Dry sift for less than a fiver

So what would be the best way to prep dried cured bud for dry sifting?
A hand grinder would take a long time, I have a few ozs of bud i want to sift. Maybe chop it up first with a chefs knife :hocho:

3 Likes

Coffee grinder maybe?

2 Likes

Maybe a coffee grinder.
Just thinking about what pie said earlier.

1 Like

You could stick buds in a cup, and then stick the scissor blades in the cup and start cutting. Not as rough as coffee grinder, and you can stop cutting the buds when they get to the size you want.

2 Likes

Here’s mine seems to collect the kief for smoking later.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this myself, grinding works but some leafs also get ground finely, ideally it needs broken down but not too fine?

I was thinking rolling it, enough to crush and release the resin, I’ve been thinking about it but I’ve never actually got buds out and tried but gently broken down i think would be best.

1 Like

I put every material I have dried in Bubble bags full meshes and start to play drum with the material inside,then shake,then play It like drum kit again,and After some time I got a lot of dry sift that I collect in a bucket

3 Likes

@tuned @Pie for a few ounces I will just go through and strip or buck all the buds off any main stems left until it’s just nugs no whole tops anymore. I let that dry a day in the TrimBin uncovered in a dry cold place (freezing or near it, 40% humidity) for about 48 hours. Remember that the traditional dry sift method is usually to put whole plants packed into a cold dry storeroom until the humidity drops in mid winter and then do the sifting as an off-season agricultural task. I think after two days it’s plenty dry, as long as it’s freezing or below. After that drying I hand crush the buds by squeezing them top to bottom and they explode or I use my two palms to grind gently with. You could probably use a meat grinder with a big hole plate in it, haven’t tried that yet. A Mouli hand food mill would also do it, or as I said just take a mesh or perforated strainer with holes 5-10mm and just rub it through with your hand. Then let that dry for at least an hour or two before starting to sift. After five minutes of sifting I usually grind the weed more with my hands and start brushing the kif from around the bin into the screen using handfuls of the sift weed to scrub it off the plastic sides and defeat the static. Sift some more, keep repeating until the weed looks dull and fluffy and light like dried basil or oregano. Basically sift it until your material looks like absolute schwag. Then clean up the kif, sift in grades or do static cleaning or wash and dry it with water, whatever you want.

8 Likes

These are awesome instructions, @Dirt_Wizard thank you :pray:
I am trying this for sure.

3 Likes

If you have a reciprocating saw you can sift with that, or a Hitachi Magic Wand, or probably a vibratory saw or orbital hand sander but I haven’t tried those yet:

11 Likes

So the jar of trim is screened at its opening and then shaken into the smaller jar on the bottom? Great idea.

2 Likes

Stainless steel screen placed in one lid. Two lids taped together with mouths of the jars facing each other. Works best if you freeze before shaking. Careful.

2 Likes

Hey @Star_Dog , would you have a link for that sifter/tumbler you got?

1 Like

Hey bud, here you go.

I’m sure you’ll love it especially at the price.

Take it easy

4 Likes

thank you very much.

2 Likes

I wonder what is best… grinding the dry stuff after taking it out of the freezer, or grinding it before putting it in the freezer? What do you fellas think?

Or maybe it makes no difference? I was thinking maybe grind before so it stays cold longer when I take it out of the freezer and start shaking it.

4 Likes

If buds are big or dense I break them up some before freezing so they dry out better, if it’s trim and larf I don’t bother.

2 Likes

After many disappointing runs and trying several sizes of microns resulting in hash from mediocre to unsmokable and it being such a tedious job to make it, i was done with bubble hash and ready to sell my bubble bags. That being said, the very first time i made water ice hash, i fell in love with it. It was dark, sticky and tasted fresher than the freshest hash i ever smoked. I forgot how i made it, but it is likely that i kept the stuff between the last bag and the bucket. The stuff you normally flush with water ice hash or even give to the plants. In my opinion that is the good stuff and that is what i probably have smoked the first time i made it. And it is the stuff we should be collecting instead of flushing.

Recently i discovered dry ice sifting with the use of the bubble bags that the water ice hash makers among us already own. I did not want any plant material in the kief so i used a 90mc and a 60mc bubble bag. You put the waste in the bag, 100 to 200 grams, scoop dry ice upon it and start shaking. Dry ice cannot be stored in the freezer, so you have to use it quickly.

The yield was very good and i ended up with about 10% of top quality hash from the waste.

I pressed the kief into bags shown on the pictures and laid it in my shoes and went for a walk! After i came back it was pressed and ready to use.

But the black hash that i collected from what was left between the last bubblebag and the bucket was better. The stuff from lets say 0 micron to 60 micron depending on the bubblebags you own. After my runs with dry ice where you collect what is flushed with the watermethod the stuff between 0 and 60 micron and toss everything above 90 micron wich is what you collect with the water method. The more i think about the water ice methode, the more i think there needs to be a method to collect the stuff from 0 to 90mc. This i am certain will result in much better yields and quality.

7 Likes

So the dry ice method has renewed your interest in making hash again? I tend to prefer dry ice over bubble, less mess. But everyone has their favorite.

5 Likes

Yes it certainly has, bubble hash is such a tedious job to make.

1 Like