Dumb questions about things I don't get

Well this year because I have so much building I’m doing I’m only growing winter veg. Red onions, cabbage, pumpkins, parsnips, butternut squash. Do it in raised beds. I always have chillis on the go though. Mostly keep them small in doors but I have a greenhouse going up so going to move the newer ones in there let them get bigger.

4 Likes

Search YouTube for “Cannabis SOG” and you’ll see some hydro with the netting and how it’s used.

Personally, I grow in soil. I cook my own supersoil, which sound involved but it really isn’t. This way I don’t have to worry about feeding throughout the grow. I use this recipe.

2 Likes

Clay pebbles are also used in soil as another means of aeration. I bought a bag a few years ago, and have mixed it along with other things like rice hulls, and grow stones. One thing that attracted me to clay pebbles is the long term benefits it provides to soil, as it breaks down over time, you get lots of micronutrients. I still see the same clay pebbles in my soil mixes and house plants from a few years back.

“add clays that will increase Cation Exchange and also add a diverse amount of materials to the mix” Jeremy @ build a soil

^^ Basically helps your soil mix retain more nutrients, and water.

2 Likes

Bentonite clay (all natural cat litter) works real well for upping your cation exchange.

2 Likes

Turface MVP, napa oil dry, and special kitty litter is all made the same way (as long as it says calcined clay) just different sizes.

All good for what you just described

1 Like

Napa oil dry is diatomacious earth, just saying. It’s mostly silica. The clay often used in soil are not fired in a kiln.

1 Like

It didn’t used to be. My bad sir!

1 Like

expanded clay pebbles ‘clay balls’ ‘Hydroton’ has enabled me to buy 1 bag almost 2 years ago and never carted growing medium into my house since, It is NOT easy to clean but is able to be cleaned.

I water 9 times a day in clay balls but never while the lights are off and each of my plants gets less than 1 litre of medium for its entire grow … yeh it’s not nearly natural but it works very well.

7 Likes

trellis net is also called a scrog net (screen of green) i thought SOG (sea of green) was flowering many small plants for the main cola. like, freshly rooted clones.

3 Likes

Now you have made me wonder. I always thought that bending tops to achieve a level canopy was SOG, which can be done with top bending or homogeneous clones, and if you add a bit of netting so nothing falls over that was SCROG.

Now I have to google it :wink:

EDIT :

It seems you are right, SOG is lots of tiny clones and SCROG is the bending and training of the tops to a level canopy.

3 Likes

Part of me wonders how you’ve grown heavy veggies without trellis. You cannot grow tomatoes efficiently without it.

And no, trellis alone doesn’t imply sog or scrog, although a lot of people use scrog as that definition nowadays. Scrog used to mean weaving a flower site into each trellis “hole” and cutting everything underneath the canopy off, like this:

5 Likes

my stupid/newbie question:

are pre-flowering days(i.e. 2 weeks following flip) included in estimated flowering times?

my experience has always been a 2 week delay to see some action. :confused:

thanks

cannabis.sequoia

Yes. 15 - 20 days from flip = bud setting, all depends on strain. However a strain that says “60 day flower” includes the “delay”.

1 Like

i’ve heard of bare-root tree propagation in gravel beds, from the southern USA:
looks like hydro to me… :wink:

https://plantsciences.missouri.edu/PS2210/mgb/mgb_12months.htm

2 Likes

A very experienced grower told me this: (edited some to make sense of speech to text)
From seed, count from the first day of showing sex. Cuts from day one since they should be mature already.

There’s really no way to show any accuracy from flipping 12/12 on the seed. Lots of people flip before the plant is sexually mature which does not create the correct time.

With that being said: here’s my Take on it.
If you veg long enough to get 100% confirmation on the sex of the plant, you could count the flower start period as the first day of 12/12. Cuts of a mature plant, count the first day of flower once roots are established and 12/12.

5 Likes

thanks; good to know it varies with the plant specimen. last year was my first real sativa (durban poison) experience-- what a b*tch! 11-12wk flower… more like 11 month cycle. (it was also before i learned about outdoor light deprivation).

it’s a dispensary cut, i call it “nodes-a-plenty”, psychosis-type hash was what i got mostly. :slight_smile: what a damn princess though, compared to modern hybrid freaks that can take a beating & put out like a 'ho.

i have learned/heard (according to skunkman) that ‘to determine plant sex, early as 1 month, just flip to 12/12 for 1 or 2 days, 3 for sativas’–the 2 week delay is still there before expressing, none of this natural vegging cycle nonsense! so… that’s what i’m doing now(fingers crossed).

2 Likes

I use bamboo poles and string, much better than wire trellis but I also have wood trellis. But you misunderstood the original conversation lol

i usually veg until i see preflowers and then flip. you could also take a cutting and put it in to 12/12 to determine sex.

1 Like

bending tall tops is super cropping

1 Like

I refure u to grow weed easy .com they cover all this in simple to understand words.

3 Likes