Dumb questions about things I don't get

I’m just going to drop off dumb questions I have here and probably rant a bit about how much I don’t get them.

To start off:

How the heck do you grow anything in clay pebbles? It’s clay! I remove clay lumps from my soil in the garden because the plants don’t like it and people are actually using it to grow things? How does that even work? It’s so light, the plant would fall over, it should fall over! I can get the concept of clay pebbles on top of the soil but clay pebbles AS the soil… no. NO! You’d just lose a seed in there if you dropped it in and it bounced off the clay pebbles and into the cracks somewhere. Must be like living on mars to plants. And how does the plant get to moisture/nutrients? It’d have to grow roots very quickly to get into any scraps it found in the clay pebbles or do the pebbles excrete it?

I don’t get clay pebbles.

7 Likes

It not technically Growing IN the clay… but I’m soil… trust me… someone will tell you.

3 Likes

Let me just add one more things.

How does the clay not soak up moisture and melt into goop? Is it really even clay?

2 Likes

No questions a dumb question if you don’t know the answer. The reason people use clay pebbles (hydroton) is because it is an inert growing medium. Now trying to hand water plants growing in clay pebbles is a dumb af thing to do. But in hydro. They’re easy to clean off and reuse. If you have a covert operation then you don’t wanna be lugging bags and buckets constantly.

Ps I feel your pain on the clay garden. Mines pretty much solid clay from 4 inches depth :sleepy:

3 Likes

well the roots grow in the spaces between the clay balls, and they are kept wet by top watering which in effect works like a nutrient film technique, so all the spaces it between the clay balls have high (near 100%) humidity so a lot of air roots form. Also the clay hold onto a bit of water as well.

As for starting seeds that’s why most start in a rockwool cube or the likes then transplant into the clay balls.

And the clay balls are kiln fired, so think unglazed pottery

6 Likes

Couple other things, when using clay people’s a hydroponic nutrient is used. This provides the plant with what it needs to grow. The clay itself is inert. The clay doesn’t turn to goop because it’s fired in a kiln making it more like poetry than clay.

4 Likes

I actually found remains of buildings they buried under mine. Hence why I decided to go big raised beds, I did try to clear it on one side but 3 foot down and still more bricks, glass etc.

1 Like

Don’t get me started on rock wool. It looks like plant cruelty when you first see that.

I get the roots grow between the spaces but how does the plant not fall over? Those pebbles are light.

Okay, kiln fired makes sense… now I’m imagining plants growing in broken cups.

3 Likes

They are a lot heavier when wet, plus the weight of the roots themselves. Also often the plants are supported with a trellis.

2 Likes

If the plant gets large enough in any media it can fall over. so if they are big you have to tie them up. When growing with clay pebbles the roots of the plant will start to grow around and grab the pebbles giving it strength. I have had plants get so root bound in a bucket with clay pebbles that I could not pull it out. (I’m no pussy :muscle: :joy_cat: ) and in trays they form a mat of roots underneath the rocks.

2 Likes

The miniature laundry buckets = trellis?

2 Likes

That just sounds like a lot of fuss to me. More problems than it solves. You get a lot of dehydrated coco coir easy to bring in and your roots would be less likely to knit and freak out. I can’t say I’m being won over. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No man, its a piece of netting that goes obove the plants. You can use it to support the plants. Like this.

3 Likes

Depending on where you live coco can be a hustle. There are many factors involved with getting constant quality coco continuously. With hardened clay pebbles I don’t have to worry about ph and nute lockout (mag in coco). When I am done growing I can clean and reuse it.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve had a couple of dodgy coco bags that developed fungus, you have to boil it couple days before use with new bags. But I still find it much more worth while than anything else I’ve used. Plants are pretty happy in it.

Whats nute lockout? How’s that happen?

2 Likes

I’ve never seen anyone put that over a pot before.

1 Like

You’ve got a lot to learn. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

Amen to that but haven’t we all brother

1 Like

Well I’m a first time grower so of course. But ask me questions about vegetables and I know whats up.

3 Likes

what kind of growing do you do? no till style?

what are your favorite vegetables?

1 Like