DWC 400w HPS: Northern Lights – White Widow

Wow those are beautifull roots! Looking really healthy! :slight_smile: How much they drink a day? What pump do you use? How many Liters of air in minute or Hour? I envy you the flushing in the end. That must be really easy to clean them up in finish :slight_smile:

Its absolutly fascinating how the plant grow in the water. That we are capable of doing that. Its almost like we are gods a they are our children :smiley: :slight_smile: I absolutly love the combination of plants and technology and our knowledge and that we are capable of keeping them alive in the Best conditions. Thats the Real thing…

2 Likes

@Fisch Currently they drink about 1/2 gal of water per plant per day (2 L / plant / day). I top-off their reservoirs every 3 days. The air pump is an 253 GPH (958 LPH or 16 LPM). Its nothing special but gets the job done and very quiet. The one pump is used for both plants and I use a T connectors to change from 4 port to 2 port. I use a 6 inch circular air stone to distribute the bubbles and control the water temp with an 50w adjustable water heater for an aquarium

Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of perks about growing in soil, however once I did hydro I never looked back. Like, flushing in hydroponics is great and goes with the maintenance schedule of cleaning the system and changing nutrients. Its a little more work and maintenance about every 2 weeks (that’s when I do it anyway). I personally find it satisfying to work in a soil-less environment.

One thing I will mention is the plants are more sensitive to there nutrient solution. Deficiencies, toxicities, and PH imbalances are noticed quicker and more severe. However, you are also able to correct them very quickly as well.

I heard some where that; its not the plants that get over watered, its the lack of oxygen to the roots…That’s why having the constant tiny air bubbles over the roots makes it possible for them to be submerged all the time. I donno, I claim to be no god, just a dumb mortal human :smile:

4 Likes

It’s amazing to me as well.

The Kratky method doesn’t use any air pumps at all and veggies still grow… Wonder if it would work for cannabis lol.

2 Likes

Makes since to me as it still allows air to the root zone. However for cannabis, maybe someone out there has tried. Maybe for new clones or young seedlings?

Kratky hydroponics

Throughout the growth cycle, the water level drops as the roots grow, creating a growing ‘air zone’ for the roots.

https://university.upstartfarmers.com/blog/how-to-start-growing-with-the-kratky-method

I tried it with basil. It worked very well actualy. But se got Root fungi in like 4-6 weeks and died because of no oxygen. Maybe if There would be air Stone but switch on only for few minutes a day?

the kratky method shouldnt need airstone, because as you see, by 3 weeks 50%+ of the roots are exposed to oxygen

Yeah I had very bad axces to the oxygen with the roots. They were in sealed container with plastic Cup and hydroton… I ll try it again. How to get míře oxygen to then roots?

this guy explains his kratky method, i like jeb gardener, hes very funny. maybe a net pot would work better, with the hydroton not filled to the top to allow air exchange

1 Like

Its going to be a white Christmas :snowflake: :christmas_tree: :santa: :smile:

10 Likes

May all of your Overgrown Christmases be white, and green and gold and purple and…

2 Likes

wow 15 year old seeds sprouting. That is wonderful to hear.

2 Likes

Time for an update:

WOSA:

Air Temp Day: 69f / 21c
Air Temp Night: 62f / 16c

Humidity Day: 60%
Humidity Night: 50%

Water Temp Day: 74f / 23c
Water Temp Night: 70f / 21c

Water Amount: 3.3 gallons / bucket
Water Type: Distilled
Water PH: 5.8 (adjusted)
Water PPM: 900 +/- ppm
Water Nutes: FloraMicro / FloraGro / FloraBloom / RapidStart / Floralicious Plus / CALiMAGic / Armor SI / Diamond Nectar / Liquid KoolBloom

Plant Duration: Veg: 60 days / Flower: 29 days
Canopy height: NL = 15 inches (38cm) , WW = 16 inches (41cm)
Plant Diameter: NL = 24 inches (61cm) , WW = 21 inches (53cm)

Hi there @zimbogro, unfortunately the 15 year old seeds did not sprout. They were not stored for long storage and the seeds were dead.

I thank you kind sir, as yours may be as well :slight_smile:

I’m uncertain why the hairs are turning this soon…However I have been handling them quite a bit, pruning the leaves and and low bud sites that didn’t make it in the canopy.

10 Likes

The only time I have seen this is right before the bud generates new calyxes and fattens up. Day 29? Huh?

Does seem early.

Or if there is a Hemp field down the street. Wrong season, right?

3 Likes

the same thing happened to my white widow as well, different breeder though

2 Likes

Maybe too cold?? 16C at night is really low. The live proceses slow down when Under 18. Maybe the plants are thinking that a Winter is coming and they should finish blooming asap. I would sugest a heater with termostat and raise it up at night when the Light is off. Atleast to 20C :slight_smile:

3 Likes

WOSA:

Air Temp Day: 72f / 22c
Air Temp Night: 65f / 18c

Humidity Day: 50%
Humidity Night: 50%

Water Temp Day: 76f / 24c
Water Temp Night: 72f / 22c

Water Amount: 3.3 gallons / bucket
Water Type: Reverse Osmosis (0-1ppm)
Water PH: 5.7 (adjusted)
Water PPM: 1200 +/- ppm
Water Nutes: FloraMicro / FloraGro / FloraBloom / RapidStart / Floralicious Plus / CALiMAGic / Armor SI / Diamond Nectar / Liquid KoolBloom / H2o2

Plant Duration: Veg: 60 days / Flower: 35 days
Canopy height: NL = 17 inches (43cm) , WW = 18 inches (46cm)
Plant Diameter: NL = 24 inches (61cm) , WW = 21 inches (53cm)

10 Likes

Show us the whole plants :slight_smile: looking great and Frosty. Are they starting to smell? :slight_smile: my plants smell like some dark Orange gin cocktail :smiley:

1 Like

That sound like a good smoke.

2 Likes

Ah yes I did take some photos of them whole but just posted a few. The smell of these girls are very intense, especially from the white widow. But they have very different smell profiles

Northern Lights: Sharp citrus smell that pierces the air make its way into your nose. Smells of fresh lemon grass and sweet skunky undertones.

White widow: Sweet skunky smell that hits you in the back of the nose. Smells of sweetened strawberries with brown sugary notes.

12 Likes

Hi Roux, Excellent thread !!
I’m just setting up for a similar grow environment, and I was curious at this level (Test Environment) your clay pellets are moist upto an inch from the top of the net pot, at this point, what is your bucket water level compared to the bottom of the net pots? Cheers… and a quick edit, this was one of your first pre WOSA designation for your stats, also while im here, how did you make the holes for your training eyelets on the pot top edges?

1 Like