Easy, Reliable Method for BHO?

@ChemicalDependant I always recommend making concentrates with food grade alcohol, ie everclear. I get great results. This is much better for your health than butane, safer, and easier. You can evaporate the alcohol with no heat by using a dehumidifier unit, by placing it in a vented cabinet, or by simply blowing a fan over the surface. Less labor than dry sift or ice water hash. This method does not require a large initial investment either.

if you are careful with your process, you can make extracts that are high quality enough to dab or vaporize. This method is definitely sufficient if you are smoking your concentrates. you will get high quality full melt hash.

5 Likes

As far as alcohol washes go
oh it certainly works for extracting cannabinoids, but I’ve never gotten it to taste any good. I find frozen 99% isopropyl alcohol

That’s probably because isopropyl alcohol is full of bitterants and other ingredients to deter human consumption. you can achieve much better results with food grade alcohol, and it will be a safe medical quality product.

In the old california medical system, the only legal concentrates were ice water hash, dry sift, and food grade alcohol honey oil.

Bho was not considered medical quality, so it would not pass CA lab tests, and was illegal for dispensaries to sell. rosin hadn’t been invented yet.

Definitely agree that solvent-less methods are ideal.

2 Likes

Bubble hash and ethanol tincture is the way I went with it
 Rosin press in the future though.

Magical Butter Machine makes it really easy to make a bunch of canna caps and be set for the week. Really was a game changer.

And FWIW- I have a sensitivity to alcohol, so if there was a notable amount left over I feel like I would notice.

2 Likes

You’re thinking of denatured alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is just isopropyl alcohol. You die if you drink it lol there is no discouragement.

I’ve used Everclear, isopropyl is better. I’m talking about it’s hard to keep the terpenes in the finished product without some sort of vacuum evaporation chamber.

4 Likes

Not true. Drug store isopropyl alcohol is just water and iso in varying proportions. I’ve bought a lot over the years from dozens of different places. I use it for a lot of stuff.

Ethyl alcohol is denatured, which is what you’re getting it confused with, and it has to be for tax purposes. Sometimes generic rubbing alcohol is denatured ethanol, I suppose. Sometimes other perfumes and stuff are added to generic “rubbing alcohol” But not isopropyl alcohol.

4 Likes

I looked into it, seems that you are correct, thanks for pointing that out. I was confused between the law that requires poisonous additives to be added to ethanol rubbing alcohol, and the fact that you can buy non-diluted isopropyl direct from the supplier.

For concentrates I would still prefer to use food grade ethanol, which was the only solvent which was legal and considered safe for medical use in the old california medical system.

3 Likes

Better we kill drunks with poisonous booze than let them gasp skirt tax laws lol

4 Likes

Alcohol carries a lot of wax fats and chlorophyll, and gives less return than butane. Even with a QWET at -20Âș I personally don’t like it. Im waiting for my stainless steel bho extractor, I already have the vacuum pump, I need a vacuum lid for my pressure cooker. High tolerance to thc, there I go!

3 Likes

Any recommendations for either cheap decent closed loop system or diy closed loop?

1 Like

this is the kind of result I get with a good batch of simple “honey oil” food grade alcohol extract.

7 Likes

30 second rinse, everything ice cold?

Everclear always gave me my best snap and clearest, nicest tasting extracts.

I have recently started pressing rosin with a straightener and like more.

3 Likes

Yup that’s pretty much all there is to it. I really enjoy this method as well.

I freeze everything, and while I do the alcohol rinse, I wrap the jar up in a towel to keep it insulated. Keeps it cold a little longer. I simply filter it with organic unbleached coffee filters, old school style. It goes directly into a pyrex, and then it is evaporated with no heat by setting up a fan to blow air over the surface.

This works with dried bud, and freshly harvested frozen buds.

3 Likes

My exact method too!

Works really well with trim too

2 Likes

Yeah all my trim goes directly into the freezer for concentrates. way more efficient than drying trim.

2 Likes

Being In Michigan I can’t get the good everclear without ordering online. Been tempted to look into co2 extraction. Already have setup for open blast bho but would like to be able to reclaim some of the butane to rerun(if my understanding of closed loop extraction is correct) if I’m wrong please tell me and explain why. I’d rather learn here than hard way normally wouldn’t care but helping a friend and it’s more than I’m used to

3 Likes

If your close enough you can get the 190 proof in ohio

1 Like

:cowboy_hat_face::mask:

2 Likes

I’m honestly considering it
 just fuck it and buy an el cheapo press. I don’t trust anything on the internet except things recommended by my friends here on OG.

Looks like that press is unavailable.

3 Likes

They have them in my local headshop for $100. I have not tried it. Check eBay. Lots of selections.

Blessings

:cowboy_hat_face::mask::chile:

1 Like

looks like a george foreman lean mean bud squishin rosin machine

honestly that’s super goofy that you have to physically lean on it.
you’d be way better off with the old hair straightener and c-clamp.

This would not be a good option for medical cannabis patients.

3 Likes