Electrical Advice - 220 Line?

Most 240 volt circuits don’t have a neutral, the neutral is only required if 120 volt usage. So if you have an existing 240 volt circuit that only has two hots and a ground, you can’t “split” it into 120 volt circuits.

3 Likes

Right! Glad you’re straightening it out. I haven been an electrician for over a decade now. But I can still use the old NEC codebook. :wink:

1 Like

I lived next to a house where the service caught fire because the lugs were not tight enough…the drop service was aluminum. You have to go back an retighten the lugs on aluminum service. And you treat with a non oxidizing agent such as No Ox

They don’t use it anymore IME in residential other than the service drops and the busbars and devices

2 Likes

Yeah.i know all the high voltage lines are aluminium, and they drop that to your meter can, but that’s up to the utility. After that I’ve only really delt with copper. But then again, I was doing mostly new work and some retro. I did the electrical for solar installations. :wink: :sun_with_face:

3 Likes

I renovated a 100 year old Georgian house and the best skill I learned was to know when I was out of my league. I opened up many a rats nest of wires and went “nope I need a pro.” If only I had been smart enough to do it for plumbing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hate plumbing. Hahah always takes me 3 days to finish the simplest plumbing jobs. Also, I loved troubleshooting electrical issues. Fun to try to get in the heads of some of those that came before us. :thinking:

3 Likes

My issue was that over that 100 years the place had been renovated by 3 idiots and getting into their heads was impossible. I guess that makes me the 4th idiot :slight_smile:

All the best and best of luck

3 Likes

Brings great phrases to mind like “why the fuck would you do this?” Lol

Gas. I won’t fuck with gas, just my policy. Plumbing I’ll do but I hate doing it. Electrical, well you don’t need many tools and it’s fairly simple. I’d rather paint and put up drywall than plumbing.

Was installing an RO filter the other day and as I’m working overhead water runs down my wrench and arm, down my back towards my ass crack.

3 Likes