Any 20 amp plus guys?

I have a 2000 wtt setup pulling through a 20 amp breaker on a 110 outlet. I feel I’m pushing it…
With the wires. The wires to the outlet on 110 v don’t look very big, but suppose to provide 20 amps to that one outlet.
How are you all pushing it?

4 Likes

From my understanding a 5 amp breaker can run ~1200 watts. I haven’t dealt with a 20 amp breaker myself but you should be fine with 2000 watts. You should hopefully have 10 or 12 gauge electrical wire for a 20 amp breaker

1 Like

2400 watts is max to 20 amps

4 Likes

FYI - most plugs are rated at 15 amps which is ~1800 watts so ur pushing that outlet for sure if it is a standard outlet. they do make 20amp outlets which would be a bit safer in your house if u are pushing those watts all the time

3 Likes

@Gpaw is a expert also im sure he could chime in!

1 Like

and 12gauge wire is what US standard for 20 amp breaker 14 gauge for 15amp breakers 10 will get you 30 :smiley:

edit to fix my fat finger typing

3 Likes

I have 4 dedicated 15 amp breakers. 2 for lights 2 for dehu. Its a safety thing.

2 Likes

I run everything off a 30amp dryer outlet.

1 Like

@EugeneDebs420

thats not the safest. it would be better to take the 2 hot legs and split the neutral and put them on 2 20 amp breakers. the wiring for lights, AC, dehy, etc etc will fry before your breaker trips.

3 Likes

Everything being a single 1000w hid lol

still if there is an issue that breaker wont trip. or maybe your light is rated for 30amps.

with electricity better safe than sorry

2 Likes

High duty cycle at high current over some x distance. Take a look at the following and back calculate:

http://www.paigewire.com/pumpWireCalc.aspx

3 Likes

Absolutely. Evwrything i ran is right where its needed. Major part of setup.

1 Like

Sorry guys (if im posting too much on this thread), i used to be an electrician and i’ve seen a lot of bad stuff over the years. its not something to be taken lightly

3 Likes

‘Old school rule’ was 80% of rated capacity of the breaker for continuous loads.
But as @CornbreadJunior pointed out, most duplex sockets are only rated 15A.

My solution for that issue (for future upgrades) will be to run an electrical stove/dryer outlet.

Cheers
G

9 Likes

15 amp sockets are the recommended here per 110 volts

1 Like

when u say 2k setup what all does that have on it?
and is there any way u can bring in another circuit because like @Gpaw says you dont have any wiggle room

2 Likes

I agree, you say you feel, and you think the wires are small. Well, what is your power draw? What gauge wiring is it? Unless you know it’s 12awg it’s probably 14awg.

But the super easy way to tell if your running too much power? The outlet will be warm by the end of the day.

1 Like

1800 watts out of a 110 volt socket. That’s powered by a 20 amp breaker

i mean is it 1 single light or what all is plugged into that single outlet? and is it 1800 or 2k watts?

2 Likes