How to install 240v circuits

Hey, guys I was wondering if you guys have any pointers as to what I should read or watch to learn how to do this. Im a total noob to this and dont want (arent willing) to pay an electrician to do it for me. I dont know anyone or trust anyone to help me in my area to do this for me. Thanks! Im in the USA by the way.

2 Likes

Brother, 220V is not child’s play and not for noobs. Tell the electrician you want an extra dryer. Once the circuit is in, you can kill the circuit and change out the plug or something, but carefully consider opening up a panel and playing with 220V if you have no experience in there.

:cloud_lightning:

9 Likes

Haha I hear that. I cant call any electrician at my spot. Id have to move all my plants somewhere else. I cant put them out in the back yard either.
From the videos I have seen, cant I just add the 220v circuit to my existing panel box? Or is it better to use a panel box for only my grow.

3 Likes

If there is plenty of room in the box, you should be able to expand circuit count.

Good luck with that.

:four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

If you cannot have a friendly sparky do the panel work for you, youtube is your best friend. Here’s an overview.

I do not recommend doing this on your own the first time around.

But, if you do, make sure the grounding wire is in
Make sure your connectors that hold the wire to the enclosure are tight enough but not damaging the insulation
Leave lots of service length on the wire, you can always cut it later
size your breaker to the wire rating; the breaker is ONLY there to protect the wire really
Consider using GFI protection if a circuit is being used within 4 feet of water
Use a strip gauge to see how much insulation you need to remove

If you get 240 across your hand/arm on the outside it is not too bad; as in likely won’t kill or permanently damage you. If you ground out through your leg, or torso, or between the two hands, your heart may stop. So make sure that all boxes are grounded, wear good work boots and long sleeved clothing, so when you do get zapped you reduce your likelihood of getting it bad.

5 Likes

Rubber gloves and work boots can make it slightly “safer” I’ve had 230v shock on more than one occasion and it hurts like a mofo. The heart palpitations last for hours. Some properties here in the UK have a main breaker that’s situated before the consumer unit. That makes it 100% safe to work on but unless your skilled and confident enough I suggest you get a professional in :+1:

3 Likes

I wired up my basement and work shop, the work shop is 220 and 110. You will need thicker wire if you are using more amps.

I get shocked regularly lol, My home made LEDs have metal prongs sticking out the bulb, that would normally have the diffuser covering, I get a zap when I stick my arms under them sometimes.

The worst I have had was 240 V 8500w at 30 amps, repairing a power shower. I disconnected everything, and broke the unit down, went to get another screw driver, and my brother came into the bathroom, and turned the power back on, so he could see while taking a piss. He didn’t turn it off again, but did turn the light off, so when I came back I did not realize it was all live again, I melted the first 3 inches of my 1/4 inch thick screw driver, burned a hole in my finger, and got thrown 6 feet across the bathroom. The next day it felt like someone had used me for a punch bag, I hurt all over.

1 Like

Ouch. Ima have to watch lots of videos and read alot of stuff to do this right. Damn I hope I dont die lol.

If you’re not 100% confident then don’t do it.

Turn off the main breaker that kills the whole panel first, then use a multimeter to ensure its dead. Sometimes they will still be kinda live even with the main off.

Wire everything from your plug back to the box first then attach to the box last.

If you have an electric stove or dryer at your spot you can rig a plug up to use that existing circuit, they will be 30 or 40 amps respectively, lots of room for many lights.

1 Like

I just got a used old air compressor. It ran like crap and was 110 and 220 compatible. So i thought it was wired at 220 with a 110 plug. Seen it before. From what i remember, 220 uses less Kwh. So i ended up getting a 50 amp 220 breaker anns wiring it up. Then i found out i had to rewire the electric motor because it wad wired for 110. It took a bit but i got it working!

Also, large appliances like central air units, hot tub’s, and detached out buildings usually have their own small breaker boxes. Run a 100 amp breaker from the main box to outside your room. Makes it easier to add more later.

1 Like

Ya a subpanel is always a good idea. You can even take a 120 circuit off it for fans etc.

Also, your ballasts may need to be switched to 240 before firing them up as well

1 Like

Sadly all the 220v outlets are used up so thats out of the question. When I get time ill do some homework. I have to learn all this electrical lingo yall are throwing around because its confusing me haha. Thanks for the replies!!!

2 Likes

Go to your nearest hydroponic store. Ask the guys that work there for a recommendation for a someone to do electrical work. They’ll know you mean someone who won’t call Johnny Law. It might end up being just some dude who’s handy or it might be an off the books professional. Someone there knows a guy.

2 Likes

Main breaker panel? Turn main off. Main lug? Turn disconnect BEFORE the panel off. If gonna be the superhero and do it live, make sure you do NOT cross ground or neutral to bus or breaker. Oh and make sure breaker is off.
On a side note, contrary to popular belief, a 110 or 277 circuit is more dangerous than any 220v circuit. The worst licking I’ve taken was off a 120 neutral. Since the neutral is unbreakered, once bitten, there is no letting go (unless ladder falls)

2 Likes

Tempting but I dont trust about anyone to come near my grow. Thats how I operate and its kept me free and never been robbed once. Too many crack heads in my area so thats not gonna happen (no im not one of those crackheads either hehe)

You could wire into your dryer n just make sure only to use it when lights are off. Better option then dieing imho.

Bro I dont even know how to do that. Ive been busy all day. Ill need to watch that video right now.