Water coming thru breakers

We are having bad wind and rain and the rain must have worked its way into my panel.

Im being told I should call the fire department. Obviously id prefer not to do that.

Im having an electrician come by tomorrow to repair.

What should I do for now?

Is it safe to go outside and try and cover the meter and where it penetrates the house with like a plastic bag and tape?

Only reason I noticed was my GFCI for the bathroom tripped.

6 Likes

That’s… not a fun time. Anything is safe if you stay safe, read up on high voltage PPE and first aid for electrocution. You’d be hard pressed to get me out there taping it up, water and house supply level mains voltage? Hard pass. Wait for sparky in the morning, stay safe. Best wishes.

7 Likes

Man, I’ve installed more 20 amp breakers and outlets than I can count, and using the interwebs was all I needed to get the job done. My fail-safe protection is that I simply need to turn off the panel box before I install the breaker. Otherwise, electricity scares the shit out me. High voltage can jump under certain conditions, so I’d be afraid of getting near it! If you have a friend who’s also an electrician, call them right now and get their advice. OR - if you already have one scheduled, give that one a call and get their advice. Taking advice from someone on a grow forum and who isn’t an electrician might be a little risky!

Shit, I’m a little afraid for you @SquirtleSquad!

7 Likes

‘flex seal’ :man_shrugging: (sealant)

if it’s overhead lines(not underground svc) possibly/probably coming down the “mast”… may need roof repair too. :confounded:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I when outside to the meter and see some dry rotted caulking where the main enters the meter box. Thats my guess. It literally fell apart when i poked it.

I step flashed the trunk coming in with gorilla tape and a trash bag.

Man…what a fucking day today has been.

Admittedly I got bit when I stupidly tried wiping some up so it must have been jumping cause all i did was touch the breaker switch.

Ill DIY most things. Electricity scares me for reasons I just mentioned.

It was a love bite. Like what your tongue feels like on a 9V. A hey dont touch me ill kill you

10 Likes

That was awful polite of your electricity to just warn you gently.

11 Likes

This thread gives me anxiety, good luck, I wish you the best!

4 Likes

When we moved in and updated the old fuse box, later on, I saw, on the outside of our house, where the mains run down and into the meter, then basement, that conduit pipe had all of the sealant missing from it.
I called the guy that installed the box about it.
He had not needed to inspect that area, as he just installed a main box downstairs for us.
To save us a service call,he told me about the sealant, mine was a dark bar of sealant, for like $2.00 at a DYI store.
I just packed around the conduit going into the meter, then below that where the meter line goes into the outside wall to the basement.
I was dry however when I did it.

8 Likes

Yeah imma get boned dollar wise. But I dont feel comfortable with electricity. Mine doesnt have conduit. Just insulated wire running into the meter box.

I guess this is a maintenance item I can add to the list.

While im sure I could lob some sealant in there i wanna make sure theres no corrosion since im not sure how long its been doing this.

Ill pay the $200 tops for this guy to come out. Seems like a good dude. Involved in the community youth sports. Found him on community Facebook page and hes always posting offering help. Im also not an idiot and going to ask an estimate first.

6 Likes

He had to replace the 15A GFCI. Used some duct sealant at the penetrations and charged me $150

Was trying to get me for $210 I said no way.

Im an estimator by trade in the Plumbing and HVAC field. I aint no sucker lol.

$150 seemed fair to me. If i were to buy the breaker thats $42 plus tax right there at the local home depot. Im sure hes getting it for $10 but it is what is.

6 Likes

Sounds all good man, glad you made it through. Definitely check out for corrosion, and sealing it up for sure sounds the way to go. Actually by not having the conduit might’ve saved you some damages lol. Always support your local tradesmen, good on you. Much more willing to be discreet, too.

And in the words of Hank Hill- “If it’s a father and son company, make sure to ask for the father.”

4 Likes

was at a bar one time,there electric sign caught on fire, the fire dept came and tried to water down the electrical fire,really added to my drinking pleasure

7 Likes

I had a 4x2 orchid tent and his apprentice was like nice setup. I said yeah orchids. Dude was like oh orchids, huh what kind? Like he didnt believe me.

Think he thought there was weed in there. So I showed him some orchids.

7 Likes

I use f
L
Ex seal from hope depot the spray always worksfor me
Good luck man

Peaceout and stay safe

3 Likes

It’s been 2 days so I’m sure it’s resolved but if it ever happens again turn your damn breaker box off and just deal with the dark for a night no sense in putting yourself at risk of fire fucking around

4 Likes

I CAN’T BREATHE!!! Wiping down wet panels, wind and rain, mains, it checks all the boxes for a panic attack. All it needs is a tornado warning and golf ball sized hail.

4 Likes

Yes all resolved.

The 15A GFCI was replaced and the outside was sealed up.

Was a headache. Good thing im only week 5 and my plants werent reeking too badly

Also I got water in the basement so having a fan blowing muffled the noise of the room and was a good excuse to light some candles

I always get paranoid about strangers coming in either for them reporting or coming back and stealing

7 Likes

I feel you. PTSD; do not like people in the house. But I can explain that and most guys are willing to work around it, like letting me turn breakers on and off, so he could stay in the public spaces upstairs.

2 Likes

If you’ve been on the other end of this kind of “relationship” (it’s a “two way street”), I’m sure you know how fun it is. :man_shrugging: Diagnosis is free, right?

Glad it was solved for you relatively easy. :v:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I work for a contractor so I understand. Which is why I know he aint paying the $50 he told me it costs especially when home depot sells for $40.

Any electrical wholesaler would murder home depors price

4 Likes