Emeraldgreen first thread (Part 1)

Afternoon dude ! How’s the day goin so far ?

3 Likes

So far so good :joy:. Nice slow day. How are you?

3 Likes

Yeah did she’s the day kinda slow, it’s nice and relaxing sometimes. Home now just chillin with the pup and have a night session. Debating to
Make soup or pork steaks and potatoes. We will see after the session!

2 Likes

Good morning everyone. :coffee::coffee: And see what the day has for us

9 Likes

Good morning all!

Note to Mother Nature…
What a dreary morning you have given us. I like to see the sun first thing in the day. Give me some vitamin D dangit! When the Summer gets here you can be overcast but not till the heat is up!
Best regards,
MoBilly

7 Likes

Good morning brotha :coffee:

Did he say what the problem was?

Camshaft broke? needs new value? Head gasket?
Curious why he thinks if he messes with the top end the lower end will break.

3 Likes

Morning folks! We are over the half way mark!! Hope everybody has a good day!

3 Likes

When you rebuild the top, It increases the compression in the cylinders which also puts more of an impact on the lower end. If something is less than optimal on the lower end the added stress from a proper head will cause a catastrophic failure on the lower end.

That is the theory anyway. I’m not a mechanic but my whole family are gearheads.

5 Likes

I see you have your hands full, Pulling the motor? or doing the steering refresh?

@MoBilly Makes sense with potential micro fractures in the steel components on the lower end with super high milage cars or lead footed people. I think so long as he isnt a speed racer, A to B type driver it should last some time.

Im not a qualified mechanic, just someone who enjoys working on their vehicles to learn em inside and out to avoid the dreaded trip to the shop.

3 Likes

That has always been my way of thinking. I’ve replaced the head on my old 9N Ford tractor and left the lower end alone. I don’t use it for any hard pulling and it’s been over 16 years and still hitting a strong lick. We have a larger tractor for heavy lifting and dragging.
But if it were the only tractor I had to use I’d have probably had the block done as well.

4 Likes

Love the N series tractors. Also, like the Farmall Super C. We have an old Ford select o speed to rebuild/get running. Its this years project. It has backhoe attachment with two out riggers that we can’t find out about anywhere online, from the tractor forums to the collectors’ catalogues. Ill post it up in my thread one of these days when we start messing with it.

Sorry to hijack your thread brotha @Emeraldgreen

3 Likes

My problem is, I had two brothers that weren’t happy unless they had their head under a truck hood and I was only interested in running the guts out of whatever vehicle I happen to own at the time. I’d run hard until I had problems then I’d take the ride to one of my brothers to get back in shape.
That was back when a rebuild kit for an 8 cylinder costed around $80. They would rebuild an engine on the weekend that didn’t need it just to see if they could get a little more out of it. lol

4 Likes

Tag me please.

3 Likes

Good morning everyone! Hope yall are having a good day!

4 Likes

you have it correct, especially on a high mileage engine. also if coolant got into the lower end it washes the oil out of the bearings causing damage to the crank / rod bearings. it is a crap shoot at best. maybe it will maybe it wont lol. good used motor is usually the direction i steer my customers towards. hope it gets sorted out for emeraldgreen, as painless as possible.

it is a balmy 25 degrees here in maine today, suposed to reach 50 on saturday. crazy for this time of year. people will be headding to the beach.

4 Likes

Thanks brotha.
Yea its weird this year already. 34 now, 50s and 60 here for the weekend in CT.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

5 Likes

Hijack away guys.

4 Likes

Morning folks! How’s it kicking in here on Friday?

4 Likes

Good morning everyone. @Hotrods_and_hounds it’s kicking over slowly and stubbornly :rofl:

5 Likes

Good morning everyone! Slow start over here too but hopefully this work weekend rolls on by

4 Likes