Repurpose my Rhino 150 Hunting Blind as Grow Tent?

Got two new Rhino 150 pop up blinds, they are like 6’Wx6’Lx6’H roughly. They are camo, and all the windows and door have velcro and snap seals. My question is this, can I repurpose them and use them as grow tents through the winter?
Or at least as a nursery to start my seedlings in late March/early April? Pretty solid unit, I’d probably have to put up some type of reflective covering, or, to keep it simple, maybe just white sheets?
Have never grown inside, and really leaning more towards the nursery aspect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I was thinking, isn’t there a thin Styrofoam sheet, or board that has a silver coating?
Maybe it’s a good idea, maybe not, but I thought I’d give it a shot.
Please don’t bang on me for being frugal.
Also, any tips on lights would be great.

6 Likes

No idea on if a hunting blind can be used as a tent, but they make white poly sheeting that you could easily drape down the sides, the ease and cost vs Mylar sheets might not be worth it for a temporary setup like what you’re describing

3 Likes

When I first started growing, I just used a bed sheet over the door to the closet I was growing in and it worked fine. Later I sectioned off a corner of my room to grow in , using a large dark curtain stapled to the roof and walls, and it worked fine for multiple years. I have also used the Styrofoam insulation sheets with one reflective side but they are definitely more bulky and expensive. I think you will be fine building a dark tent using your hunting blind…it won’t need to be light proof if you are just going to veg some clones, but will need to have all the corners sealed if you want to use the tent/space you create for flowering. As for light… depends upon usage; clones just need a small inexpensive fluorescent bulb, but if you are going to flower you will want more light for sure.

3 Likes

My first go was with C3 or C13 can’t remember model # but it was white wardrobe closet from homedepot. I grew this in it
7928pmj-med
7928pmj3-med

PacJackMama
pacific g 13 x jacks cleaner breeder loran

6 Likes

You can definitely do this!
Get a package of ‘Panda’ film-- heavy poly sheeting, black on one side white on the other-made specifically for blacking-outgrow rooms and reflecting the light!
Get a cool-temp Hot Glue gun and a couple bags of glue sticks.
Glue the Panda sheeting to the inside… cover everything except the Velcro to the entry… you obviously need that! LOL!
This will give you a light-proof ‘room’ with a white reflective surface!
Next-go inside and close it up and check for light leaks. If the door causes a problem with leaks, simply make another big flap of panda on the outside of the tent that covers the door…you only have to attach the top with glue, and add a few velcro tabs at the bottom!

2 Likes

Interestingly and conversely, I fashioned my old grow tent into a hunting blind…

As for lights, you could make a screw in light bulb rig… get a couple fixture splitters (turn a 1 bulb socket into a 4 bulb socket) and pop the diffusers off some led screw in bulbs… worked well for me for a good while til I could afford to build my current light

3 Likes

yep-- we used the screw-in ‘splitters’ that let you screw in 2 bulbs to one socket-- then used a 5-spot vanity light bar for a total of 10 bulbs… I still use it for cloning and seedlings!!