Ways of making my light more confined but keeping space around to walk

So my grow space is 10x12 and my grow footprint is 4x8 so I have a lot of space where light gets lost. I have grown in tents before and didn’t like how confined things were since I scrog I like room to walk around. Numerous people have told me that I’m wasting light on the sides.

How can I keep the space I like around the plants but create a wall to keep the light in?

I was thinking of having curtains almost like that I can slide in place and move back when I need to get in there. Tie them down so the fans don’t move them around as much.

Anyone try anything like this?

Currently my grow I have 3 ft of clearance to walk around in a u shape. This allows me to get to all the sides.

This is my space.

4 Likes

Id recommend making curtains with black/white poly that can be pulled out of the way when needed. Ceiling hooks and boom you’re in business.

8 Likes

Mic drop for @TrevorLahey :+1:

2 Likes

when i went from growing open room to a tent i used a shitty lux meter and noticed a 20% increase when i moved to a tent, it doesnt look like alot but @TrevorLahey is on target.

2 Likes

20% is a great increase.

Wonder if I should just bite the bullet and go back to tent growing. They make tents with windows I could always unzip and access them that way. I’d have to figure a way of getting my piping out of the tent to the chiller as I wouldn’t want that in there.

Or just screw some 2x3s to the ceiling and tape 5ft. wide poly to it and let it drape down and run a strip of gorilla tape at the bottom (for strengthening) and cut a few holes into it where I can put hooks that can hook up to hooks on my totes to secure the poly in place so it doesn’t just blow off to the sides from the circulating fans.

Then when I need to work in there I can unhook them and open it up and hook them diagonally to the walls. If that makes sense. I feel like crunching them by moving them to the side like a curtain will wrinkle it over time.

Ideally a white roller shades would work. But those are pricey and the poly would act essentially in the same way

1 Like

go with the panda film, so you dont have to take your system apart.

i want to just point out that was 20% increase of light, not final yield, i dont have those numbers.

2 Likes

Yeah I might do a tent for my veg since they don’t grow that big and I don’t use a chiller for it. Something like a 4x8 tent would be pissah

1 Like

shit, looks like you got the room! btw, love the floors bro. do you veg with led? how do you like it? im still using t5HO tech for veg.

1 Like

I have a 260w QB 304 4k setup and (2) 315w CMH 4200k

Thank you. 99 cent a square foot and they said it wasn’t totally water resistant but I spilled many a water on it and so far so good

1 Like

Check if this could be usefull @SquirtleSquad:
https://www.alchimiaweb.com/cortadora-circular-acoples-secret-jardin-product-10488.php

1 Like

If I had a tent that would be useful. Something to thing about I guess.

In the meantime I have black and white poly already and gorilla tape. Might as well make due with what I got

1 Like

So I took a lux meter I downloaded and put my phone on the screen 18,000. I put a piece of white poly up and shot up to 23,000. Almost a 30% increase. Verdict is out, not that I doubted it but seeing those numbers that much higher I won’t grow in open spaces again. Just gotta find a tent that has a wide window in the back and one on each side and then naturally a double wide door. 4x8

2 Likes

Every bit counts. I doubted using a reflective bottom tray and foiled pots would make a difference but I checked it and noticed a 10-15% increase in results.

And to think I used to run a 1kw HPS in a 7x11 room… Lessons learned.

1 Like