Equipment buying and reviews

I am no breeder at all so i trust you way better than me on that. Thank you for correcting me. :relaxed:

1 Like

Well, getting back to gear acquisition, i just got me a sack of this… Any pointers or tips to use it better… Do you need to wash it or just like the bag says it’s “Ready to use”?

I just might wash it and measure EC before planting anything… Just in case.

No man no washing for soil. Washing is for coco. If you wash this youll ruin it more then its already ruinedXD

3 Likes

I missed you sarcasm HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

Can’t be that bad really! I saw a few videos of very succesful crops from people on youtube using this “junk” man!

3 Likes

Oh i know. That stuff will work great. I just mean its ruined cuz its in that bag;) hahahahahah

2 Likes

Show us the lablel :wink:

Heard about about it before but never used it. Should be good stuff me thinks :+1:

1 Like

Ingredients: Coarse peat, coco fiber, compost, perlite, pumice, worm castings, bat guano, fish bone meal, non-GMO soybean meal, feather meal and kelp meal. Grower’s Tip: This product is a ready-to-use soil created for fast growing, heavy feeding plants.

That is the what the label says, it’s all faded on this bag, so anyway, i got that from their website…

http://www.aurorainnovations.org/formula-707.html

1 Like

I have used it and liked it but it has fungus gnats a lot of the time so be aware of that. It has a nice base to it and drains well.

1 Like

Is it possible they died in the long haul from Oregon to CR…? :wink:

1 Like

Maybe, but i would watch for the little buggers to be safe. The earlier you jump on them the better. They are annoying.

1 Like

I’m gonna quarantine the soil in two 10 gallon pots, and that way i will check to see if there’s anything going on… Thanks @ryasco.

3 Likes

When you break open the bag mix in neem seed meal and powdered malted barley. Thatll get rid of ya gnats. You can also make a fungally dominated topdress that will attract Stratiolaelaps scimitus (formerly known as hypoaspis miles) and add those guys and they will eat up all the gnats and eggs. Plus they are decomposers. And will stick around for a long time.

Also if you have gnats in this topdress mix youll get the preds faster!

2 Likes

How about diatomacea earth? I think i can get that.

Or mosquito dunks…?

2 Likes

Question - Neem Meal seems popular - does it impart any taste or smell to the flowers? What’s the difference between the neem meal and oil? I’ve used Neem oil as a soil drench and it hurts the plants.

2 Likes

I think if you apply neem oil to late in the game it will definitely impart a slight foul flavor and slight odor (just like the neem itself). Not sure about the Neem Meal leaving any trace of flavor since it gets “processed” differently. That’s my hunch at least.

From now on Neem Meal is always going in the soil. As for spraying, it will probably be limited to infestations and other stuff around the house/yard. @ryasco posted earlier up in the thread about a dif product…

Once my DTE is done/gone that Ahimsa is next for the arsenal.

2 Likes

No it adds no taste unless you spraying your flowers with oil. Oil is for veg foliar.

1 Like

Sorry dude ive never used DE before. You gotta have a brew store round you??

1 Like

What about mosquito dunks…?

Alright i just found out that if you enrich water with mosquito dunks it will kill the fungus gnats larvae… Just a matter of watching the pH and EC of the soil, and see if it affects in any way…

1 Like

Sorry brother not sure. You can collect some leaf mold from the woods somewhere and make IMO with it. And save some dirt for collecting h.miles:) youll be able to watch the h.miles eating gnats. Super fun.

2 Likes

I use Bti, there is a product called Gnatrol which is organic-certified BTI powder, it’s very effective against the gnats. Mosquito dunks are the same thing, not OMRI-certified but basically organic. I would grind them into small particles and let them sit in water for a while before watering, and then let the pieces fall into the soil as you water. Usually I only have to water 2-3 times with Gnatrol and they’re gone.

I’m intrigued by neem meal, definitely want to try it. An organic fertilizer that also stops the gnats? that would be cool! I use “Eintstein’s Oil” a neem-based product, as Lotus said it’s great for foliar spray during veg for many insect pests, including spider mites. Using it for soil-drench will kill all the gnats but it hurts the plants.

D-earth is great for gnats, but it has to be dry to work. If you wait until the top soil surface is dried out, you can dust it over with DE and watch as the gnats struggle and die! However as soon as you water it stops working. Mixing it into the soil doesn’t work. Dusting the trays under the plants also helps, kills the fuckers when they crawl out, but again as soon as you water it stops working.

2 Likes