Experienced gardener seeking help with second grow

Thank you! That means a lot. I actually owe a lot to this forum. I remember people constantly using K.I.S.S. when new growers asked questions. Keep It Simple Stupid. I say it all the time now. Gardening really is a simple thing that doesn’t need to get over complicated.

5 Likes

That would be amazing! Ive been trying to figure out where I’m gonna get seeds from. What might work well outdoors in my zone. 5b. Ive been just gazing through seed bank catalogs drooling over all the glamor shots. Not really making much progress :laughing:. Is there anywhere that sells BOG genetics? His bubblegum was always a dream of mine. I was really sad to read he had passed. Man was a legend.

2 Likes

You down for another weed seed for veggie seed trade. I can send you some autos and photos.

Your veggies look amazing!!

3 Likes

By the way you seem to have it down pretty good. Outside I use a raised garden bed, SIP Planters, or 3 gallon cloth marry pots with the bottoms that un velcro. I take the 3 gallon marry pots and set them right on good soil when the plants get bigger. The raised planter beds work wonders also.

I absolutely would! I’m gonna check what I have tonight and ill send out a pm. I’m not picky as I have no seed banked except for what I found in my last grow. I’ll gladly accept anything!

1 Like

Here’s my reasoning for the hoop house.

1. The mesh cover will provide some camouflage.
  2. Help keep moths and in turn caterpillars off as well as other flying pests.
  3. I’m near a corn field where I’m sure they spray herbicides. My tomatoes all had curly top which is usually an indication they were hit with a broadleaf herbicide like round up. Could have been a neighbor too.
  4. It will allow me to get an early start with autos that should finish when the photos are ready to go down.
  5. It will extend my veggie garden season.

Is there a disadvantage to the hoop house? You said the it would come out different. Good or bad? Am I robbing my plants of sunlight?

1 Like

A hoop house will let you plant early and harvest later. It does have a couple things that are different than pure outdoor.
Hoop houses get HOT. Make sure you can vent that heat. Air movement is also important or you’ll end up with a bunch of rot

3 Likes

You need seed?

1 Like

I only have what came out of my grow last summer. I started looking into seed banks. My friend gave me the clones last year but I really want to try some different genetics.

What did he give you and what did you enjoy the most? What have you been looking at in the seed banks?

1 Like

I guess the final outcome won’t be comparable unless you’re growing the same clone again. The same clone can be grown in multiple conditions (outdoor, indoor, greenhouse) and each will have a slightlu different effect on the structure of the flowers, amount of resin, the smell, the potency. Not saying better or worse. Just different.

As it’s been said, heat can be an issue in greenhouses. They’re a bit like indoor growing but using the sun. So lots of tweaking temp and humidity.

1. Is a hoop house recommended for rain protection and pest control
    Rain protection: yes Pest: No, in fact a hoop house might* require a fan to keep pest at bay.

2. Should I use 10-gallon fabric pots instead of 5-gallon for better plant growth?
    I personally would use 10 gallon over 5 outside its less often you will need to cater to their needs.

3. I used Fox Farm fertilizers in my last grow. Should I continue with them, and are there any other fertilizers you recommend?
    FF works great. No problems there. My preferred line is Nectar for the Gods. You can be much more personal with your plants.

4. Any advice on pruning and training methods for outdoor growing? I’m familiar with techniques like LST and topping but not sure which is best for outdoor cultivation.

All pruning methods works just as well if not better outside. Feel free to use any or all training methods.

1. Lastly, any general advice for outdoor cannabis cultivation in the Midwest US would be greatly appreciated!
    Im from the east coast but as far as general advice Just use your gardening knowledge rto make accurate assessments.
    MJ and tomatoes have a shit tun in common as far as specific requirements like calcium and magnesium. Similar growth and staking needs. along with all the other things to keep in mind when you are ingesting the product your growing.
2 Likes

I have similar ground to you. This season will be my 6th year outdoors.
My first Two years i grew in fabric pots. Pots ranged from 10-30 gal. They did well that way but they require a-lot of watering. Also the roots find there way through the fabric pots. Bigger pots will require less watering.
I ended up digging 12 100 gallon holes and mixing a version of super soil to fill the holes.
Made life a-lot easier other then trimming. :v:

BTW your last years crop looked great.

4 Likes

There are a lot of BOG crosses and repros around OG. @DougDawson works a lot of BOG. He’s a much loved grower, sorry to have missed him, but many people on OG keep his lines alive.

2 Likes

I have heard of this BOG fellow, pretty sure I know where to find a few of his strains. :thinking:

4 Likes

Study permaculture if you want to turn your clay soil into fertile richness.
We have the knowledge on how to turn a desert into a food forest.
Geoff Lawton is proving it with his “greening the desert” project.

The key is diversity. You can loosen up the clay and improve drainage by planting nitrogen fixing trees like acacia, sunflowers, corn, …
Alfalfa has extremely deep roots AND fix nitrogen.
Beans also fix nitrogen and thrive in poor soil.

You can turn any soil into something useful just by planting the right mix of species.

Just requires a little digging in the beginning, just a few holes to fill up with compost and planting trees in them will go a long way with drainage.

Also swales to guide and catch the rain, that’s number one. (search for “water harvesting”, “rain harvesting”).

If you dig gutters and fill them with woodchips/barkchips they can act as walkingpaths, stay on them and you won’t have soil compaction. You can inoculate the woodchips with mycorrhizal mycelium and spores of mushroom species that help other plants grow (mycorrhizal).

So you get walking paths, water harvesting, and mushroom production all in one!

Permaculture has been a really fascinating journey for me that has proven useful in other areas of my life as well. Pattern recognition goes a long way!
Everything in the Universe is based on patterns, there’s great value in recognizing them.
It makes life so much easier. Everything just makes more sense.

2 Likes

He gave me 3 strains. crescendo, purple mango, and raspberry boogie. The raspberry boogie is just ok. The Purple mango and crescendo are nice. Not really sure what’s what as far as sativa or indica. But the crescendo I smoke during the day and the mango puts me to sleep. Ive been smoking these two strains almost exclusively for about 2 years.
I generally like strains that help with creativity. I dont prefer couch lock but it has it’s place. I like to smoke and do things.
Honestly I’ve just been trying to research anything proven in the outdoors. Alien vs triangle was one that stood out to me but there’s just so many choices.

1 Like

@dougdawson has the same opinion and has done many repros of his work. There is quite a bit floating around on this site.

Edit: :rofl::rofl: I really need to learn to read the whole thread before commenting.

1 Like

haha, no worries. Im still on the hunt for Bog bubblegum but I recon i should get a bit more experience with the plant. I wouldn’t want to waste them. @Kasper0909 was generous enough to send me some in return for some veggie seeds. I have to get some stamps and so I can return the favor. I hopped on here to start my grow diary actually and saw your reply. I get distracted easily.

2 Likes