ExperiMental & Rebel Organic. Mercilessly!

It’s completely breathable. My mulch options will not keep me from having unwanted trees in my garden . I am not that diligent about attention. I water / feed not more than once per month.

4 Likes

I understand. Do you live near that land?

2 Likes

It’s the land I grew up upon.

These Jamaican Lambsbread grown with pure soil. No additions,water only.

10 Likes

JO! I begged my father not to sell the last piece of land that had a spring, and he wouldn’t listen to me. Today I dream of growing my food and having farmland, my way, but I can’t find it. The last land I tilled was 30 years ago.

If I could grow in soil outside with my soluble Bio Fertilizers and etc., I would go get a gigantic plant like never seen before :rofl:

6 Likes

I know you would . To me understanding dirt is higher knowledge.

3 Likes

Beautiful!
Water, sun and garbage, and fewer books on agriculture. :rofl:

3 Likes

Do you prepare the soil for the plants?
Do you add minerals, nutrients, etc. before growing?
Or is that soil good enough?

2 Likes

This season I didn’t remove the blanket so no additions at all. Last season was a green manure lime and manure / bone meal and Epsom. The Jamaican are in new soil with no additives, just the blanket.

4 Likes

Someone told me to add worm castings and rock dust. I said there’s plenty of worms , and rocks.:laughing:

3 Likes

Organic matter is the key for me.
I am not one to mix additives into the soil, I just like to add some dry amendment to keep the microbiology happy.

I know of a case in Australia where they grow fruit trees, on about 150 hectares, they continually add mulch to the soil, they have approximately 1 meter of mulch, they add straw that they buy in rolls, it is an extreme case, but they have no weeds, no humidity problems, etc.

3 Likes

If your soil is good, it will humify itself, if there are worms, there is pre-digested matter, etc.
Rocks are added when there is a deficiency or when you have plants that do not correspond to your soil, and they need minerals that are not there.

2 Likes

Are you aware of the Ruth Stout method of using 30cm of spoiled hay at all times. To be raked back for warming and planting and then pulled to the maturing plants for moisture and temperature buffering. Rodale press. Provides tilth mulch and weed suppression. I have begun but my weeds are pernicious

4 Likes

I don’t know him, but he reminded me of something I observed last season in my indoor crops and that I now always apply…

I use intensive mulch in my pots, all the residues from the plants I grow and smoke go into the mulch, but sometimes I run out of organic matter, because my mulch disintegrates organic matter at a speed you can’t imagine, well, last season I was very short on pots, but I had a lot of green leaves waiting to dry, because my habit was to add only dry organic matter.
I took all those leaves and chopped them with scissors and added them in a thick layer, because I had a lot of them, after two days all that material was invaded by microbiological mycelium, after a week the original material was barely distinguishable.
I was so happy that I did it later with fresh grass, a material where I capture the bacillus subtles, this time I prepared a mixture with a little molasses and yeast and I sprayed the grass and added it to the mulch… wonderful

5 Likes

We fish around fallen wood in the lakes here. The more popular lakes with lots of fishermen will cause trees to fall in . We found much more fish in and around the one with fresh leaves on.

3 Likes

Life calls to life!

3 Likes

Aerobic vs Anerobic

3 Likes

The water must be moving.

3 Likes

The sludge from certain lakes and rivers is an example of anaerobic transformation of organic matter and minerals.

3 Likes

And the Aerobic, when the new green aquatic grasses begin in spring to grow in the water and provide Oxygen anew. The fish come there also.

3 Likes

Something like this was the beginning of everything, plants transforming CO2 into oxygen!

3 Likes