How to LST with fabric pots

I’m just looking for someone’s method on how they hold down branches. I have long pipe cleaners. I’m just confused on how to attach to the bag?

Thanks guys

1 Like

Foldback clips are what you’re looking for https://www.amazon.com/Coideal-Bulldog-Foldback-Picture-Document/dp/B07PQVH3HW/

You clip them on to your fabric pots and use the sliver squeeze handels to tie your pipe cleaners to.

9 Likes

I either use thin wire to poke through the bag to give me a loop to tie down to, or if I have the forethought I install grommets. Northern Tool, Harbor freight, always have the grommet kits. Might be able to find one at walmart in the camping section.

7 Likes

Would you consider supercropping?

4 Likes

Yes. I was thinking of doing that. But not experienced So I thought lst would be easy for me to do

5 Likes

I use tying down LST for most of my canopy management but I supercrop for two reasons:
-when the edge of the pot isn’t as wide as I need for tying down
-when I expect massive stretch to keep them manageable.

Supercropping feels strange when you first do it - feels violent. As long as you are gentle, make sure the squish is in the proper direction for the branch to flip over, oh, and squeeze lower than you think you want.

Go for it!

Or you could pop holes in your fabric pots and tie down as usual. Supercrop as a backup to this.

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

I drill a hole with hot soldering iron.

11 Likes

Are you using yarn to tie them down?

2 Likes

I’m going to do one plant using supercropping. Just so I get a feel for it and than I can take photos and post it in my journal. I’m willing to try anything once I have completed and actually fully cured a harvest.

2 Likes

Just try it on one branch first until you get the hang of it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I only use fabric pots i get some think wire kanthal to be exact make loops around the pot then use some twine to tie it to the loops

6 Likes

Yes knitting yarns but can be twine

2 Likes

I use velcro garden tape on my fabric pots. It attaches to the fabric pot. Easy to adjust later and is made for gardening.

VELCRO Brand 91384 ONE-WRAP Supports for Effective Growing | Strong Gardening Grips are Reusable and Adjustable Gentle Plant Ties, 45 ft x 1/2 in, Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057567U0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LsKbEbQVAN6DK

15 Likes

I use curtain hangers…
They attach to the fabric pot easily without making any permanent holes, movable, etc.

and work great with long pipe cleaners.

13 Likes

These Velcro plant ties work great. The green side sticks to the side of fabric pots. I tie down branches with long pieces and make smaller loops to tie branches to bamboo stakes.

Honestly I don’t know what I would do without these.

Edit: I didn’t see @ReikoX post. I’m a little high. :grin:

8 Likes

They work that good! :+1::seedling:

5 Likes

edit* as mentioned by @Tommy_McCain edit** and @ReikoX , I used Velcro plant ties with fabric pots. They work well but sometimes you need to fidget with them to make sure they hold onto the branches. I found they can Velcro onto fabric pots very well and a roll of generally affordable and available at most garden or hardware shops from what I’ve seen.

6 Likes

binder clips, but if you get more proficient at say flopping you wont need to hold the plant down, mind you there are always plants that dont behave…

8 Likes

This type works otay for me.

I strip back the end and twist/poke the solid wire thru the fabric.

Plastic also.

The heavy duty really holds the bends, compared to the normal thin version. Cost more, but I like it.

7 Likes

All Great ideas and good advice People Way to go
I like the curtain pins

2 Likes