Feminized or Fem for breeding

You have a pm with a link that explain all this terms, hard to do with my poor english. Not sure if i can share the link here. :thinking:

2 Likes

The caveat is that almost nothing in cannabis is actually true-breeding except the landraces. :stuck_out_tongue: The rest of the scientific world defines an IBL as a line that’s been inbred 20 generations, to the point of being 98.6% homozygous. Some species of mice are up to F150+ by now…

6 Likes

S1s are not F2s. Two different methods of breeding. F2, F3s, F4 etc are inbred (sister/brother) , S1s are selfed. Selfing is a breeding tool to efficiently explore a line of genetics without bringing in outside genetics by outcrossing.

3 Likes

Im with you in almost all, but S1 is technically a f2 if the parental is a f1

1 Like

Nope an S1 is the first selfed generation. An F2 is the second filial generation. Two different methods. Example you have an F1 mom that you spray STS and pollinate a clone of the same mom. The resulting seeds are S1s. Not F2s. Now if you took that same F1 Mom and pollinated with a male from the same line (brother) - THAT would be F2. Hope that clears it up a bit.

6 Likes

The resulting seeds in your case are s1 and f2, both terms apply there. How is possible that a s1 of a f1 is not a f2? F1*f1=f2

2 Likes

This is true. The distinction is really only made in cannabis, but I think the distinction is fine. Its much more descriptive for our sakes.

Crossing fems to regs is fine, and I think there is nothing intrinsically wrong with crossing fem x fem. The only difficulty I can see is that the best plants for sexual stability are females that produce strong female hormone and are difficult to reverse. So you may be losing these from your population over time.

s1 is an f2, but most f2s are not also s1. At least that’s what I think… with f2 being a broader definition than s1.

6 Likes

An S1 is (F1 MOM x F1 MOM). XX chromosome. No Y. (no male chromosome). Its selfed one generation, i.e. S1
F2 is (F1 MOM x F1 BROTHER). Is not an S1 because it has X and Y, meaning you’re gonna get males. This is filial inbred line to the second generation, i.e. F2.

2 Likes

A pepper can pollinate ifself an is considered an F2. That is the point being made i believe

1 Like

No, s1 only mean selfed plant first generation. This s1 could be f3 if the parental is a f2, a f4 if the parental is f3 … s1 only mean s1

1 Like

Yes this is the main point. Tomatoes are also more difficult to cross pollinate and easier to self pollinate. They don’t use an “S” convention. I think people get a bit hung up on this because cannabis is dioecious, but breeders of monoecious plants do not make any distinction like this, and their plants are always selfing, because they are not obligate outcrossing plants like cannabis.

These conventions are used in a larger plant breeding context than cannabis. Even though we might make a distinction, there is generally not one among wider audiences.

6 Likes

If the parental stock is F2, and is selfed, it would be an S1 of F2.
If the parental stock is F4,and is selfed, it would be an S1 of F4.

S1s are feminized meaning they have XX chromosome. They don’t carry the male traits outside of how it expresses itself as a female. You wont find males.
F2, F3, etc have XY chromosome. They will have males.

Its a clear distinction between the two.

1 Like

M/F doesn’t have anything to do with it. You could reverse an F1 female and cross it to another F1 female and it wouldn’t be an S1.

I think the important thing is that people who grow cannabis feel that it’s important to know whether their seeds are S gens or not, and so we want people to denote it. Nothing wrong with that, it is important, and genetically important to know because of how cannabis prefers to breed. But it is still one way to make a “second filial generation”.

4 Likes

Has anyone tried this product diluted?

Looking for a tried and true product in Canada which seems hard these days haha

1 Like

From what I have read (and not all that much or I have it confused) some feminize the seeds and feminize the offspring a number of generations in order to have a purer line and then cross with a male. If the feminized seeds are just a copy of the mom with no variation then there is no point to going more than one generation. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

And this is the opposite of colloidal silver:

2 Likes

M/F has a lot to do with it. If a farmer buys “F2s”, expecting S1s he gonna be upset to find males that end up pollinating his room. If a breeder buys S1s expecting to find males in his pack (like with F2s), he’s gonna be very disappointed. Male Females has a lot to do with the distinction of S1 and F2s.

It wouldn’t be an S1 because its outcrossed, not selfed

1 Like

M/F has nothing to do with S1 vs F2. You can have F2s that are feminized and not S1.

3 Likes

Feminized F2s are either F2 S1 (selfed female from the 2nd generation) or its a new line because of the outcross (i.e. F1 ).

There is a difference between selfed seeds and filial seeds, and much of the difference has to do with the chromosomes they carry (ie. XX female or XY male). It seems absurd to me say otherwise, but if you can share proof I’m all ears (eyes) but the distinction is important so that people know what they are getting when they pop a seed pack.

1 Like