FieldEffect's Attempt to Grow Indoors

So, the filter box is single paneled. You would want to change depending on where and how dirty/dusty the area is. I have my intake attached to a vent that leads outside and because I live by a freeway its hella dusty. I should be changing it every 3 months. Right now I am using the replaceable ones but want to grab a cleanable one to swap out. I will say, the filter kills the CFM about 20%-25%. I refuse to run my setups without a filter now that I have seen just how much gets caught. Depending on the grade of filter you get, you could filter pollen out of the air with it. For me, I get as close to a MERV 13 air filter as possible.

I love all my ACI gear, especially the dome with its extensions. How the LED bars bulbs fit perfectly in the divits in the dome. Its perfect :nerd_face:

I’m a little bias towards AC products. lol I run a 4x4 and 4x8 all decked out in AC. If you ever have questions let me know.

Side Note: I did not just pre-order this thing. :lying_face:

Its SO extra…

5 Likes

I think I’ll wind up with a homemade filter box that’s simpler, and I’ll cut a new inlet on the bottom left about a foot from the bottom. Add some baffles and fans for the veg side, lights and we’ll be all set. Eventually I’ll move the carbon filter outside in a sealed plastic box

Cool mister! I’ve been thinking about getting a fogger for the outdoor plants. This ACI stuff is nicely thought out, which is refreshing.

Are there better couplers for the flex hose other than duct/electrical tape?

Been debating what is going to happen first once I get this thing fully operational. Browsing my seed list and returning from outer space courtesy of the Panalawi bowl earlier :rofl:

3 Likes

I really like that box. I would just have to find a place to put it. I’m partial to ACI as well. The only two gripes I have about them are one, the blower flange is conical and it’s a pain to clamp the ducting to it while it’s in the air. I realize they probably make it that shape to reduce airflow restriction, but it’s a pain. Two, they don’t sell extra crossbars to run across the top of their tents. The competition doesn’t either, so it’s a wash. I’ve fashioned my own with 1/2" conduit. I did have an issue getting info from them on their 69 Pro plus controller retaining timing schedules in the event of a power outage, but I figured it out. Thanks for the box info.

2 Likes

Ill DM you about the CTRL 69.

1 Like

Guess what showed up today?

My custom turbo-veg lights. Testing begins soon :sunglasses:

16 Likes

Nice branding! :+1:

Cheers
G

6 Likes

LOL I got the inspiration from @Foreigner’s stamp…I may have made my own for the day when I send beans I make

It’s the same graphic I used for the stamp :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I just thought it was a cool identifier so I didn’t have to sign my alias all the time. But I like it, it’s fun.

Looks awesome on the board.

3 Likes

What weight of copper did you use?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

It’s just 1oz on 1W/(mK) 100um dielectric with 1.6mm aluminum substrate. The board is almost entirely copper fill with about 2.3cm^2 copper per diode so at 220mW/LED (pessimistic overdrive) the PCB is only contributing 1/10C loss per diode. Within the package we’re talking about, again pessimistically, say 10C/W thermal resistance or 2.2C. The limiting factor for dissipation is the bare aluminum back of the light and any airflow. I’ve noticed that commercial LED panels seem to run traces rather than pours, I have no clue why that would be preferable in a thermally-constrained application. Maybe reduce parasitic capacitance but with a linear-dimming driver it’s irrelevant.

Did some baseline characterization this morning I think I’ll run the two boards in series for about 50V to get the full sauce out of that Bridgelux 96W driver. I didn’t measure very carefully PPFD yet (just Photone on my Pixel 7 Pro) but it was easy to get about 400 6-12" away. I just spent 10 minutes with it mostly getting I/V characteristics and brought up the photone app for a guess. For veg I think it’ll be good and probably be running pretty low on power. Who knows, it’s an experiment :smiley:

8 Likes

I noticed where the light was reflecting off the PCB that you were using large copper surfaces. I’m puzzled as well by the commercial boards running traces; I suspect that it is the natural thinking of the layout folks. Very few are trained to work with power electronics so thermal management techniques are not generally forefront in considerations.

I did a thermal analysis of my DIY light construction (Bridgelux gen 2 strips mounted to 1" aluminum angle frame). It actually came in within 2~3 degrees on what I measured with an IR thermometer gun.

Nice job on that board!

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Ok, well an early weekend update. Assembled the first light this morning :grin:

I fabricated the frame rails from 3/4" aluminum angle because it’s the cheapest 4’ length available at Lowe’s. The entire assembly is 19.6" in length and 10" wide. I’ve got frame holes for chain-style hanging.

I intend to use the AUX 12V supply to run small circulation fans in the veg area, but I loaned my crimper out and still don’t have it back. That’ll get connectorized to mate with the fans.

Dimmest sustainable setting (dims to OFF but startup below 50mA is sketchy because of the cooling fans):

Nominal design intensity (1.4A):

Cheers everyone have a great day! Hopefully getting some work done on the veg partition and ventilation system this weekend but busy with family stuff so we’ll see how much gets done :sunglasses:

20 Likes

Let there be light. Closed my curtain so I don’t wake up the neighbors :rofl:

Need my sunglasses :sunglasses:

20 Likes

Nice work on those lights! What is your total cost for that setup?

3 Likes

Let’s see…

For each of the two lights:

2x $20 boards
1x $25 driver
1x $7 aluminum 3/4" Angle 3’
2x $7 fan (seems like I didn’t need these)

Maybe $5 of miscellaneous hardware.

So each light cost roughly $90. HLG 65V2 would have been similar cost and much less time. I’m probably 10-12 hours of total time design-order-build. I did it for better coverage and for fun, so I’m stoked about it :grinning:

16 Likes

Worked on my circulation baffles today. I’ll spray paint the inside flat black and lightly stuff it with black tulle fabric. Should stop all the light from my veg section from causing issues in the flower section at a minimum of footprint.

It designed to fit between the tent poles in the veg section and I’ll seal the vents I cut in the tent divider with aluminum tape.

I procured some Thermopan, which is badass aluminized cardboard. Thanks to @Not-Notjosh for showing me this in his non-not-a-refrigerator project. I stupidly only bought two sheets I had a feeling I would like it…and I do.

Here’s my basic plan:

Main sections cut and folded:

Taking shape:

I’m gluing up the main structure before I paint and stuff my diffusive black mesh. Then I’ll glue up the lid and seal it all up. I’ll probably test the light transmission first. Anyway:

I used almost the entire panel for each light trap. This is all that’s leftover. I really love using this stuff in conjunction with the aluminum tape. Really nice material for shit like this.

Cheers. We’re getting there. This is basically all that remains to get running. Ventilation is done, lights are done, heatmats done. Just this circulation system left to complete and install :sunglasses:

I like taking the time to really set this up nice once, it’ll be a lot harder once it has plants in it. Really trying to maximize the utility and space I get from such a small tent.

20 Likes

Those baffles are absolutely brilliant. I love innovative ideas like this.

8 Likes

Hopefully they work as planned :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

So glad you like it :sunglasses:
Checked so many boxes for what i needed it for originally, and then kept checking more boxes as i found more and more uses for it :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

I should have bought a full box, I will now. The corrugations and grid pattern make it super easy. I don’t know why this isn’t in every hardware store and Lowe’s/Home Depot.

Even if you don’t need the reflective/heat resistant properties it’s better than normal cardboard because of the smooth surface.

I usually use foam board or XPS insulation for stuff like this but this is just better. 10/10 :+1::grin::+1:

6 Likes