Fire concerns: New grower needs your wisdom

My apologies to all…Apparently I am totally mistaken about the ownership.

@Calyxander
From the net:

" Is Scott’s a Monsanto Company?

Scotts is not owned by Monsanto , but the idea is so pervasive because of the marketing agreement and the close ties between the two.May 16, 2017"

But since Scotts markets the weed killer “Roundup”; my opinion of the company stands !

1 Like

Your link says precisely what I stated… Hawthorne is owned by SMG. Hawthorne owns Botanicare.
No affiliation whatsoever with Bayer/Monsanto.
You asserted that Bayer/Monsanto owns SMG and/or Botanicare. That is not true.

1 Like

I already said that I was wrong and apologized…

But since Scotts markets the weed killer “Roundup”; my opinion of the company stands !

edit:
Interesting read…

Back to the topic…
Thankfully the AQ in Reno NV is slowly getting better.Not hazardous today…just Unhealthy:)

1 Like

That is gracious of you, thanks very much. I think that we were cross posting!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding SMG’s marketing of Roundup.

Thanks for clarifying your contention about Bayer/Monsanto and SMG.

2 Likes

The best thing you can do is wait until the air is actually safe, with no falling ash or high levels of fine particulates, and then begin spraying your plants every other day with a gentle “shower” setting on a hose nozzle. Then shake them dry.

This helps somewhat. I am very sensitive to the smoke contamination because of my health problems, and can’t always smoke my outdoor buds which have been exposed to smoke or ash.
Hopefully you are less sensitive.

They will also be perfectly fine for hash production. And a long cure can also help with quality of the finished product.

Spraying the plants down during growth definitely helps. I haven’t been able to try the post harvest bud wash because my plants generally have some seeds from selective pollination.

This year it was looking bad enough that when the air quality started to decline, I took the pollen I had collected for selective pollination, and just seeded everything before the smoke rolled in.
Some plants are in mid flower, others early. I will be getting a mix of fully seeded and partially seeded.

They might not produce good enough bud for me to smoke, but they will definitely produce excellent seeds, so I simply hedged my bets. This year I am growing for seed production, and I don’t have to worry about chasing a perfect harvest.

The plants are actually looking amazing.
I’ll tell you one thing, these seeds are going to have some real unique Juju.
It’s a lebanese landrace project, which is warzone weed to begin with.
The mothers of this seed stock were flowered during the 2017 eclipse and wildfires.
This year the plants were exposed to traces of federal tear gas in veg, and are getting wildfire smoke exposure, plus particle occlusion light dep is speeding up their flowering.

I’m calling this year’s breeding project
“The Perseverance Project.”

edit: @AllOra cool that you can bring your plants indoors. They’ll capture co2 and fix it into oxygen, which will help with your indoor air quality. not an option for my 8 footers unfortunately haha.

2 Likes

Any other PNW/Cali/Australia/Amazon growers seen an early finish after fire. All my outdoor plants have white (and a 1-5% amber) trichomes since the smoke. Some of my local grower friends see the same. Last year I chopped the last at the end of October wondering if I was rushing them. Different plants but I have grown almost all of these and there was a much longer wait.

No numbers or dates. Any real scientist know science around this?

1 Like

I’ve been trimming all the soot and ash covered fans and looking with a loupe I see no problems . But I think their ahead of last season at this point . My buds are getting fat fast like their in a hurry :sunglasses: I think the filtered sun from the smoke has kicked them into high gear . Late October for me last season also and different plants but related .

1 Like

It seems to be strain-dependent but everything except my skunks & a sativa-dom. seemed to accellerate & judging the finishing time has been extra hard for me this year.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Those look fine. Im dealing with the same issue look at this

You might not see it but they are covered in ash hoping for some rain. Been hosing them off but…

1 Like