Fire concerns: New grower needs your wisdom

Hey…I’m new to the PNW. On my third grow…Out door grow btw…never had to deal with wildfire fallout …but do I need to be protecting my plants from our current conditions?
I’m truly in need of everyone’s wisdom here…My plants are flowering and I’d hate to screw up this late in my grow…any advice for plant care under current conditions?

thanks for any help to a worried grower…Bj

11 Likes

I saw ashes falling out of the sky again tonight. I think the whole west coast is gonna have smoky bud!

I’m not doing anything to protect mine.

6 Likes

Hey neighbor. PDX here. Aside from bringing them in there aren’t many options. I gave my outdoor girls a drench on Wednesday and brought the pregnant mom inside for light. I am told that a girl whose been around fire tastes like it. Nothing to be done. If I had a mask I would consider an ash shield but I am staying inside. I will rinse them when I cut.

They are mostly answering the “will it finish” question. September was hard last year too. Albeit, without the fires.

5 Likes

I kept mine outside. They seem to be doing ok. I waited until today to give them a rinse since there was no ash falling and I didn’t want to cement it on the plants. Can’t be much worse than last year with 3 weeks of rain in the beginning of September. I was really looking forward to the strong finish with little to no rain forecast for the whole month but we all know how accurate weather forecasts are here past the day of :joy:. Going to give the buds a nice wash and if all that’s wrong is they taste like smoke, it definitely could be worse.

2 Likes

https://www.docbudsbrix.com/bud-washing

3 Likes

What’s wrong?? Your just over worrying helicopter Dad!! I don’t see anything you need to get your panties into a bunch or anything!! Unless there’s something I can’t see!?? But if you need help juts hot me up and if it’s something I can’t help with someone here can help you!! But they look healthy bro.

Can always use them for edibles!!In is being covered in as!!

1 Like

Last night we had 520+ in Sactown :dizzy_face:

Whatchu got Beijing?! :cloud:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Freakin awful outside. My dogs are going nuts since I won’t let them out for more than 10 minutes at a time.

I culled my outdoor grow in June (didn’t need them). The only thing that I have left are a few tomato plants, where the fruit is easily washed. The only good thing so far is that there is no visible ash. A few yrs ago, the ash was visible and there were hot embers floating around.

7 Likes

Thanks for the input everyone.
Sounds like I just need to calm down and ride it out.

I’ll give them all a good rinse when we get an air break.
Will probably need to flush a couple also
But if the greatest result is a smoky taste I guess I’m ok with that.

But I wonder…at this point if adding molasses or flavor will be a good thing or futile…?!?

1 Like

I’m in norcal and it looks like mad max out here lol. yeah man, no need to worry. I’m a longtime grower in cali and we always deal with this shit every summer. in my experience the plants never really have any smoke related issues. it’s important to keep them hydrated but otherwise don’t even fret man. I’ve heard the theory that with ongoing cloud (smoke) cover they could tend towards stretching because of diminished light. makes sense but I’ve never personally observed it.

4 Likes

@BjStumpir hey nice plants and Welcome to og!

as far as the molasses only one way to know, try it on some and not others, or someone with xp chimes in

Molasses is supposed to feed the microbes in the soil.
Outdoors…it will also attract and feed BUGS! :bug:

I used to use Molasses indoors, but didn’t like the taste that it imparted…so I switched to Botincare Sweet Raw. Even though I hate patronizing Bayer/Monsanto…Sweet Raw is still a great product imo. (they were bought out by Bayer et al)

I’m in N. Cal also weeks of smoke filtered light and lite ash the wind takes care of most of it . I think my plants are stacking nice maybe the low light is helping ? I know the cooler temps are . Your plants look healthy .

1 Like

Botanicare is owned by Hawthorne Hydroponics, which is a subsidiary of Scotts Miracle Gro.
No affiliation with Bayer/Monsanto.

1 Like

Scotts/ Miracle Grow are owned by Bayer/Monsanto.

From: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/03/20/1757805/0/en/ScottsMiracle-Gro-Sells-30-Ownership-Stake-in-TruGreen-Proceeds-Focused-on-Reducing-Debt.html

About ScottsMiracle-Gro
With approximately $2.6 billion in sales, the Company is one of the world’s largest marketers of branded consumer products for lawn and garden care. The Company’s brands are among the most recognized in the industry. The Company’s Scotts®, Miracle-Gro® and Ortho® brands are market-leading in their categories, as is the consumer Roundup® brand, which is marketed in the U.S. and certain other countries by Scotts and owned by Monsanto. We maintain a minority interest in Bonnie Plants®, the largest marketer of edible gardening plants in retail channels. The Company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, The Hawthorne Gardening Company, is a leading provider of nutrients, lighting and other materials used in the hydroponic growing segment. For additional information, visit us at www.scottsmiraclegro.com.

well from what I gather monsanto does not own scotts’s but scott’s does have a partnership with monsanto being the exclusive distributor of roundupwhich still really bums meout anyway as much as I complain about NY we have no fires I pray for you all be saf stay strong andkeep growing

1 Like

That is incorrect.
How did you interpret the article (1 1/2 years old) you linked to show ownership of SMG?
It is only about SMG selling their stake in TruGreen.
Your article states that Hawthorne is owned by SMG, (and Botanicare is owned by Hawthorne.)

And Roundup is owned by Monsanto, not SMG.

ETA
I noticed the sentence which confused you as to ownership.

from your link:

The Company’s Scotts®, Miracle-Gro® and Ortho® brands are market-leading in their categories, as is the consumer Roundup® brand, which is marketed in the U.S. and certain other countries by Scotts and owned by Monsanto.

The above sentence states that Roundup is owned by Monsanto, not that Monsanto owns SMG.

1 Like

Apologies to the OP and the intent of the thread.

Did not wish to derail the topic, but I own shares of SMG and I follow the company quite closely.

SMG has treated me very well as an investor, and I am frequently amused by the amount of pure misinformation promulgated by the Cannabis growing community regarding SMG.

I have been growing for a very long time, and I have never had to deal with the horror of raging fires anywhere near my girls. I occasionally become irritated by neighbors whose grilling smoke blows over my delicate flowers.

I am quite fortunate. I can’t imagine having to deal with billowing smoke and falling ash.

Gadzooks.

Best of luck to all having to combat this threat!

3 Likes

Not wanting to derail either…But I have seen nothing to refute Botincare’s ownership:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hawthorne-hydroponics-a-subsidiary-of-scotts-miracle-gro-has-acquired-chandler-based-botanicare-llc-founded-by-treg-bradley-300337522.html#:~:text=Men’s Interest-,Hawthorne Hydroponics a subsidiary of Scotts Miracle-Gro has acquired,LLC founded by Treg Bradley