First attempt at organics - what am i missing?

Items Ordered
1 of: Down to Earth Organic Vegetable Garden Fertilizer 4-4-4, 5lb
1 of: Down to Earth Kelp Meal 1-0.1-2, 5lbs
1 of: Down to Earth 7805 7805-IPO Alfalfa Meal, 2.5-0.5-2.5 OMRI 5lb
1 of: Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust, 2 kg
1 of: Legigo Premium Sphagnum Moss Potting Mix- Natural Succulent Carnivorous Plants Moss Dried, Plant Growing Medium for Orchid Succulent Sarracenia Orchid Gardening Plants Reptiles, 20 QT(Appx.2.2lb)
1 of: Down to Earth Organic Garden Lime Calcium Carbonate, 5lb
1 of: Halatool 8 QT Perlite 3-6 mm Horticultural Organic Perlite Bulk for Plants Natural Potting Soil Mix Additive for Indoor & Outdoor Planting
1 of: Jobe’s Organics Compost Starter 4-4-2, 09926, 4 pounds, 4 lb
1 of: Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer, Wiggle Worm Soil Builder, 15-Pounds, (Package May Vary)
13 Likes

Looks like a good mix to me, only thing I can see that might need correcting is the amount of EWC you ordered compared to the peat moss and perlite. I like to use an even 1/3 of each of those, maybe even 40/30/30 if you are in a humid area with the 40% being the perlite. I prefer to use rice hulls as they contain a good source of silica too. Will you be rocking pots or throwing that mix in to raised beds?

Bless, Fatty

4 Likes

A few things come to mine
Otherwise it sounds like a good mix
Bog always said to add bone meal and blood meal to your mix if nothing else

Perlite for drainage
mycorrhiza for soil life

3 Likes

Got a ph pen until your soil can buffer the ph?

1 Like

Looks good only thing that stands out to me is the perlite. I’d swap that out for pumice if you can find it. but what do I know my last shot at organic went south. lol good luck man! hope to see your grow soon!

1 Like

Worm casting I had to get size that was available not necessarily the ratio.

Because I already have a couple of items they missed the list one of which is neem meal then blood meal

Yes, I have a ph pen

3 Likes

Forgot to mention also very important

This is a great one and at a good price

5 Likes

I personally wouldn’t use blood or bone meal yes they are “organic”but come from non organic slaughter houses and can be questionable at best unless you know your source I would use a more friendly input like fishbone meal and crab meal vs those

6 Likes

When you mix it all up you’ll have to let it all cook for a month or so before using it.
Fluff it all up every few days to get some air in it and keep it nice and moist.
When you grab a handful and squeeze it, when you get just barely one drop of water out of it, then it’s perfect.

I suggest you also throw a bucket of fresh fruit and veggie kitchenscraps in there and a bunch of tree leaves. I go for a maximum of diversity of microbiology in there.
All that dry stuff you buy is pretty much dead.

Whatever amount of dry fertilizer, alfalfa and kelp you use, slash the amount in half, and then slash it in half again. That stuff is very concentrated and can have adverse effects when overused. It’s a rookie mistake that you can avoid, just like with overwatering. With kelp in there, it really absorbs a lot of water and then releases it slowly, so use also half of half of the amount you wanna use.

Watering from the bottom, putting fabric pots in saucers or containers is advisable too, it keeps the top layer of the pot dry so it keeps insect populations in balance.
Variety and diversity is how it becomes self regulating and balanced.
The more you leave shit alone the better the results, it’s a matter of simply observing and seeing patterns long term when it comes to organic growing.

Enjoy the show and only feed kitchenscraps, tree leaves, grass clippings, dandelion, nettle.
Save your money for stuff you actually need and enjoy. :smile:

If you are interested in how I do it check out Rogutopia . 2023 . Calmer Than You Are

Good to have you here, thank you for starting a grow journal, it really helps the collective when everyone shares their own unique way of doing things.

Life is full of beautiful surprises, but you gotta allow them to unfold!

1 Like

Definitely correct.

Correct again.

@Ris

Take my advice or not. It’s up to you. I do want to see you succeed the best possible way…

Personal I would recommend: Per every 1 gallon/ 4 Liters.

Base medium mix:
90% Legigo Premium Sphagnum Moss Potting Mix ONLY
10% Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer

Nutrition:

2 Tablespoons Down to Earth Organic Vegetable Garden Fertilizer 4-4-4
Less then 1/4 Teaspoon like half this amount of Jobe’s Organics Compost Starter 4-4-2

Add on extras, not really needed:

1/4 Teaspoon Down to Earth Kelp Meal
1/4 Teaspoon Down to Earth Alfalfa Meal
As the package describes Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust

Dont use this unless your water is naturally LOW on PH all the time: Down to Earth Organic Garden Lime Calcium Carbonate

Save this for when your done the 1st run In your Orginal Mix, it will compact over time and then you might need it, otherwise don’t use it…
Perlite 3-6 mm Horticultural Organic Perlite Bulk.

Get yellow sticky paper fly traps.

After you make your Base mix with the Nutrition, ONLY FEED WATER FOR 3 WEEKS… then TOP DRESS 444 again during Veg, every 3 weeks of veg = top dress 444…

Use 444 & 284 for Flowering.

many Organic Growers on OG hiding… Don’t let me be the only voice.

@Ris

Read this thread

And this one

3 Likes

I would suggest worms and a healthy layer of straw mulch.

Happy harvests

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to go through and address each component. That’s a wealth of knowledge in its own right. I will say my comfort level with organics has increased since the posts were written. However, I still need to keep to the KISS method and not get carried away in all the different things that can be added to it. I have also started using promix as a base and adding a bit of peat moss to it.

I just finished preparing and mixing all my soil and amendments up last night and its cooking now for the next run in about 4 wks

3 Likes