First Solo Cup Challenge

Wassup OGs!

Since I’m new here, I figured I’d do something a little interesting. My first ever Solo Cup Challenge!

I’ll be growing 2 Hulkberry from Royalqueenseeds (my first run using their genetics, I have a few others from them that I’m growing in the norm). They are currently housed in a 4x2x5 Vivosun tent, potted in some good ol Foxfarm Happy Frog soil. Sunshine provided by a 220w Viparspectra xs2000 with some fresh airflow provided by an Ac infinity cloudline.

I’m thinking things should go fairly smooth considering Happy Frog has enough nutrients to possibly last a significant leg of their lifetime (and I use organic dr.earth dry amendments which is fairly simple to use). And my Ac infinity cloudline is humidity/temp regulated by a controller.

All I have to do is water and keep an eye out for any potential issues that arise. :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you all updated!

13 Likes

I’ll be watching as I like the cup grows :wink:

13 Likes

@LedZeppelin, what’s the reason for the cup in a cup? Is the outer cup to keep drips from soiling whatever is under the cups or a different reason?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@LedZeppelin Those are looking really good :+1:t5: what’s your yields been like with the cups?

2 Likes

I know lots of people use clear cups inside colored cups to be able to peek at roots, and some people cut the bottom ofthe inner cup and make a cut up the side to make transplanting easier. But I’m curious as well tbh

3 Likes

If I top water then there is no mess, but most times I bottom feed. Plus I do not cut roots and it gives them alittle room :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Here’s a link to his thread, Zeppelin’s Landing

2 Likes

Definitely gonna check it out

2 Likes

I use the clear cup inside a regular cup.
I do it with a couple holes clipped from the bottom of the clear cup. Then I put about 3/4 of the cup with Happy Frog. This is so I can add more if the baby gets leggy. The outside cup catches water runoff. Pluse you can remove it to witness the root development. When the roots start coming out the drain holes, I know it’s time to start looking for something to up pot into.
Slit like this and the root come right out and you can reuse the cup

4 Likes

@BigMike55 Yeah that make sense, I didn’t use a clear cup because I didn’t wanna have the roots exposed to light (and I’m not even sure that does anything lol) but I didn’t even think to just cover it with another cup :woozy_face:

1 Like

I think light does not bother the roots. I use the colored cup to yes, block the light (I’m like you, don’t know if it matters) and to catch runnoff. This is just my own method. There are as many methods as there are growers tho. Find one that works for you.