Flood 'n drain Dinamed CBD under 450W of LED Machine Sun

Hey guys! Longtime lurker of the forum.

This is my second grow. Dinamed CBD under 450W of LEDs.

It’s a simple recirculating hydroponic flood table setup. The pumps run 2-4 times a day and drains after about 8 minutes of flooding.

Had some great harvests from this. Wish I could find more seeds for them. I didn’t keep a mother and greatly regret that now that Dinafem is unable to sell seeds any longer :frowning:

10 Likes

just moving to a flood and drain system myself. What medium are you using? Planned to go pure clay pebbles myself. But see that some use a coco coir mix as well. Just not sure how they stop the whole system getting clogged with coco coir though.

Awesome! What size of table are you doing?

Pure clay pebbles here!

I’m of the opinion that coco coir retains moisture far too long to use as an ideal medium for this type of system. Introducing a high water retention medium kind of defeats the massive growth advantage that hydroponics flood and drain has. A big part of why plants grow so fast in this setup over, say soil/other typical mediums is that you have many more frequent cycles of aeration and nutrients (the whole drying out and needing watering again thing) – which happens VERY quickly with pure pebbles.

In this setup, once the plants are mature, it floods 4 times a day. I tried coco coir at first, and it took literally days before it dried out enough to flood it again (and not suffocate the roots).

One other great thing about keeping coco totally out of the equation is like you said, there’s nothing clogging up your system other than some clay pebble dust.

I’ve also never seen mold or fungus of any kind developing with clay pebbles in this setup. By not having moist, organic coir hanging around, there’s really nothing for bacteria and fungus to make a home in.

2 Likes

so thats 4 a day on a 8 min flood?
I have gone with the IWS system. So 6 individual pots that get flooded.
I take it you’re flooding with nutrients every time as well. I plan to use the canna range for my first run.

Thanks for the tips on the clay. Re-assures me that keeping coco out of the system is the way to go.

IWS looks like a nice system and easy to get going with!

So yes, your flood time will vary depending on how long it takes the pump to fill the area you’re flooding. There’s not really any advantage in keeping the flood going any longer than you have to. Just enough to fill up your pots. Flood just long enough to saturate the root zone, and add a bit extra time to be safe.

For my setup, I timed how long the pump took to fill the table to the automatic overflow valve, and it happened to be about 6 minutes. So I added 2mins for safety.

Yes definitely with nutrients each time. The beauty of this system is that you just have to maintain the reservoir itself. A simple daily pH and EC check (takes about 5-10 minutes tops) and adding in some pH+/- to balance things off is really all it needs once it’s dialed in.
Then a top-up of nutes every 1 week, and a full res change every 2-3 weeks (ideally 2 weeks, but I’ve let it slip longer).

Young, small plants will probably only need about 2 floods a day, but you will probably want to move up to 4/day or something like that once they are getting big and hungry and you notice the pH climbing and the EC dropping really quickly in the res each day (this means they are consuming a lot more).

Canna will do you just fine I’m sure!! And yeah most def, keep that coco out of there and your plants will love you for it! The extra oxygen around their roots is the best thing for explosive growth :rocket:

2 Likes

I’ve some Dinafem cbd still to grow, it looks really nice.

If you haven’t kept a clone all isn’t lost, you can leave some lower light/airy bud with its leafs and re veg it under 20/4-24hrs light, it might take a bit of time but it’ll re veg.

1 Like

Oh yeah thanks that’s a good tip, the plants are long gone unfortunately!

Really sucks b/c it was a beautiful variety and had very good CBD levels and low THC. The purple hue they get is really nice looking when it flowers too.

Hope they can sell seeds again someday, but it’s not looking good for them.

1 Like

My Dinamed cbd plants did not look like those, wish they did.

How was the cbd for flavor?

Cheers.

Really nice actually! It has that lemony/pine sort of flavour and scent going on when cured.

When it’s fresh on the plant and starting to flower, it smells like sweet maple breakfast sausages in the morning.

1 Like

Thank you @hibou it sounds nice.

Cheers

1 Like